The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I dont have a clue how to chance the strings on a ES-335 fingered tailed Gibson.
    Anyone knows maybe a good instruction video, looks like not to find on the net?

Thx

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There is an earlier thread on this subject with a tip about putting a rolled up towel under the fingers
    opinions on finger tailpieces (jazzguitar.be)

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    There is an earlier thread on this subject with a tip about putting a rolled up towel under the fingers
    opinions on finger tailpieces (jazzguitar.be)
    Thx but there is nothing about how 2 change the strings

User Info Menu

It’s nothing special. Loosen or cut the string. Push it back into the tailpiece slightly. It’s out. Get the ball end of the new string to catch, keep LIGHT tension on the string with one hand, with the other wrap it around the tuning peg using your preferred system.

*emphasis added because I’m always pulling the string like its going to run away.

User Info Menu

I have a 1966 Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins model as well. Those old Bigsby units can be a "pain in the ass" as well when it comes to changing strings. I allways pre-bend the ball ends with a set of pliers and as soon as the string is at the Bigsby, I keep the tension on the string so that it will stay mounted at the ball end and bring the free end towards the headstock. At that point I use a capo to clamp the string on the fretboard and from that point in time I have both my hands free to get the loose end of the string mounted to the tuner and start tuning up somewhat. Once the tension is enough to overcome the risk of the ball end getting loose from the Bigsby, the capo can be taken off again and you can start tuning it carefully further...

User Info Menu

Capo is such a great idea!