The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I'm looking for some recommendations of some solo jazz pieces that are handy when someone says: "Play me something!".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbgrey
    I'm looking for some recommendations of some solo jazz pieces that are handy when someone says: "Play me something!".
    Chord melody arrangements of Beatles tunes are always a crowd pleaser. It's easy to add a couple of reharmonizations in passing and a bit of walking bass and they come off as jazzy, yet quite accessible.

User Info Menu

Over The Rainbow. The Wizard of Oz is one of the most watched films in the USA and therefor this song is well known.

User Info Menu

Laura.

User Info Menu

Yesterday by The Beatles solo guitar style. Jazz in the same style would be Autumn Leaves.

User Info Menu

A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square.

User Info Menu

Chitlins Con Carne. Everyone likes the blues.

User Info Menu

"The Days of Wine and Roses" is my go to these days but if you're looking for "recognizability" by the non-jazz audience, probably "Summertime" would be a better bet.

Also please no matter what you do, don't choose "Take Five", that's rock players idea of jazz, lol.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-16-2023 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks for the responses so far. Really great.

Not too important that it be recognizable but something that would show some level of musicianship.

I always feel like it's asked with a bit of a critique implied. "Show me you can play something more than the licks to 'Sweet Child O' Mine', 'Smoke on the Water' or 'Layla'."

User Info Menu

Those are good ones to pick too. If someone plays Smoke on The Water with the right voicings, right key, solid feel and time I’d be impressed.

User Info Menu

Beatles tunes too. I worked up a medley of Lucy in the Sky and In My Life and working on another of Blackbird and Free as a Bird.

The Kinks tune, Tired of Waiting for You is another favorite to do.

Summertime can be very nice, Autumn Leaves, too. Some blues maybe; I do a medley of Freddie the Freeloader and Blue Monk.

If it feels like a ballad is in order, Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most is lovely, as is Someone to Watch Over Me. If it’s holiday season, The Christmas Song.

Those are my go to songs if I’m spontaneously asked. I suppose it also depends on the room, so to speak. Thankfully, I’ve never been in a situation like, “OK, dude, show us what you got.”

User Info Menu

"Stella BSL" was the most popular song in America the last century;
    something older folk would recognize and enjoy. For younger folks
    maybe something soft and light like Norah Jones - Don't Know Why.
    Whatever, don't try to test your chops, if it is important, they'll hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Those are good ones to pick too. If someone plays Smoke on The Water with the right voicings, right key, solid feel and time I’d be impressed.

User Info Menu

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes chord melody.

Tony

User Info Menu

This is such a beautiful song (and such a wise-ass response):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Laura.
    Beautiful tune! I should arrange that, and I think I will. thanks for the recommendation.

Tony

User Info Menu

Beatles: Something

User Info Menu

Anything by Lyle Lovett. I’m serious. Play extended chord voicings and call it jazz.

Musically interesting and, often, lyrically fascinating.

User Info Menu

Lately it’s been Nuages. It’s a pretty tune, nice tempo, and seems well suited to solo guitar.

User Info Menu

For a ballad, Moonlight in Vermont.

Tom