The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This may be a little tricky to explain.

I have written a tune in which I want the players to comp freely, but with the exact voicing(s) I specify in certain parts of the tune. That is, they supply the rhythmic content but they do it with my exact voicing. I don't want to write out the rhythm of the comping.

When I can't capture the voicings with a chord symbol, I have to write the notes out on a stem.

But, if I do that, some players reading the chart will play it whereever that stem is, as if I'm specifying the rhythm.

One thing that has been suggested is to name it, somehow, and then put in a staff that's not part of the tune at the end and put the notes on a stem there.

What I did is to put the stem near where the chord change occurs, but to use diamond/italic noteheads and put in text saying "suggested voicing". One of the other players hates this because it's not standard.

On another chart I put in the letter names of the notes below the staff, with a note explaining. Same guy hated that even more.

Is there are standard way to handle this? Or, is it just something a lead sheet can't do?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    This may be a little tricky to explain.

I have written a tune in which I want the players to comp freely, but with the exact voicing(s) I specify in certain parts of the tune. That is, they supply the rhythmic content but they do it with my exact voicing. I don't want to write out the rhythm of the comping.

When I can't capture the voicings with a chord symbol, I have to write the notes out on a stem.

But, if I do that, some players reading the chart will play it whereever that stem is, as if I'm specifying the rhythm.

One thing that has been suggested is to name it, somehow, and then put in a staff that's not part of the tune at the end and put the notes on a stem there.

What I did is to put the stem near where the chord change occurs, but to use diamond/italic noteheads and put in text saying "suggested voicing". One of the other players hates this because it's not standard.

On another chart I put in the letter names of the notes below the staff, with a note explaining. Same guy hated that even more.

Is there are standard way to handle this? Or, is it just something a lead sheet can't do?
    I have no idea if this is common practice or not but the way I would tend to do it is with stemless filled in note heads - like a quarter note with no stick. This is something both Musescore and Sibelius would support.

it looks weird so hopefully will give the musician pause for thought and then they can read the ‘play exact voicings, comping rhythms Ad lib’ I’ve written above above.

But maybe there’s a more standard way of doing it?

User Info Menu

That's how Coltrane did Naima B part (for piano).

How to notate suggested chord voicings in a lead sheet-naima-dots-jpg

User Info Menu

There is never a guarantee that what we hear from an ensemble is what you imagine when they interpret our charts.
    On a good day the musicians flesh out something better and beyond our conception. For your scenario I would notate
    as Christian suggested, stemless quarters and add a written instruction to comp freely. As a guitar player, be prepared
    to demonstrate by example.

User Info Menu

This sounds like a "rehearsal" issue, and probably not a tune you just pull up at a random gig with new players, right (especially if you are wanting a specific thing to happen)?

[and who are these guys who "hate" directions you're giving?!] If you're the band leader or composer of a tune, and you tell me, "Hey, please play these voicings, and use whatever rhythms you want!" I'll most likely say, "OK," and do it, and not argue with you about it. (and use MuseScore!)

One of the guys is stickler for detail in charts. He's usually right and I've learned a lot.

I like the idea of filled-in notes, stemless, but I haven't figured out yet how to make musescore do it.

Edit: highlight the notes, open Inspector and check stemless.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 01-13-2023 at 06:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of filled-in notes, stemless, but I haven't figured out yet how to make musescore do it.
    Three guesses why that is!