3 75.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I personally fall asleep, do you ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice sound.
    I have suggestions: play only one chorus solo and focus on feeling and notes. Playing a long solo is sleepy.
    In the case of playing a long solo, you need to be able to build tension.

User Info Menu

Yes, there is a sort of lack of energy in the solo which gives it a nursery rhyme kind of vibe I think. It also sounds quieter at times than the comping track.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-10-2023 at 02:47 PM.

User Info Menu

The notes are all good. Play fewer and the ones you are left with will mean more. Your phrases start in a similar way, end in a similar way and between sound like the fulfillment of an eighth note scale assignment. You have all the parts, now hear the music within.
    Nice gentle feeling. Just for kicks, try making phrases based on the minimum of what is necessary. Search for the one or two notes that say every thing, and build your phrases from or to that. If you feel like it...
    Thanks for sharing Lionelsax!

User Info Menu

Thanks for reacting, I was just playing without looking for something, just playing.
    I think my comping is much more interesting than the solo.
    Since it's the same guitar, it sounds like this.
    I appreciated you liked the sound.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Nobody fell asleep !

User Info Menu

I didn't fall asleep. I think the idea is good. But...

The comping's a bit loud, it overrides the solo too often.

Your notes aren't always in sync with the backing. Which is a shame.

You can hear, as we do, that the notes are clashing with the comping. You should try to find out why. Sometimes it because the chord is too high. When you play lower it's better.

But high comping can work as long as the notes fit. For example 1.06 to about 1.15 isn't good. Then you start off again and it's nice but at 1.20 it clashes again. That happens a lot.

I was just playing without looking for something, just playing
    I don't know what 'just playing' means. You have to play the right notes. The notes and the comping have to complement each other, not fight each other.

But the essential idea is good, it's nice jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I didn't fall asleep. I think the idea is good. But...

The comping's a bit loud, it overrides the solo too often.

Your notes aren't always in sync with the backing. Which is a shame.

You can hear, as we do, that the notes are clashing with the comping. You should try to find out why. Sometimes it because the chord is too high. When you play lower it's better.

But high comping can work as long as the notes fit. For example 1.06 to about 1.15 isn't good. Then you start off again and it's nice but at 1.20 it clashes again. That happens a lot.

I don't know what 'just playing' means. You have to play the right notes. The notes and the comping have to complement each other, not fight each other.

But the essential idea is good, it's nice jazz.
    Sorry Ragman,
    It doesn't matter if the comping is louder or not.
    I don't think there is no synchronization with comping in solo....this is not about the technical side of the recording.
    ....but there are jazz phrases and lines -this is a plus/jazz language/.
    Maybe it would require more work on the GDS/green dolphin st/.
    The last time I practiced Solar-solo had several dozen choruses....then I started practise Solar next 100 choruses in a different key - g min.
    During such an exercise, I concentrate on time, rhythm and notes.Not only that, I practice Solar in different tempos and styles.
    Everything is so that the audience does not fall asleep during the concert.

User Info Menu

If you do come up with a solo that can put me to sleep on demand, it'd be much appreciated. This one doesn't do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    If you do come up with a solo that can put me to sleep on demand, it'd be much appreciated. This one doesn't do it.
    Lately I've been playing various jazz full albums to sleep-from youtube.
    Somewhere after 20-25 minutes I'm sleeping well...I mean night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Lately I've been playing various jazz full albums to sleep-from youtube.
    Somewhere after 20-25 minutes I'm sleeping well...I mean night.
    I believe this album can bring it down to the 10-15 min mark (it is a great album in it's own right but you need to be very awake to fully enjoy it).
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-10-2023 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

I usually fall asleep when I'm listening to jazz guitar, specially when I'm a bit tired.
    I fall asleep when I'm listening to myself, without prejudices, just listening to the music without analysing it, just listening to the vibes and the story.
    When I did it, I was thinking of duets I listened.
    Every time I play a standard, I try to make it different.

User Info Menu

Even on that thing, I fall asleep !

User Info Menu

In my opinion we have a very good thing and a bad thing.

1) The sound is good…..and if you play with a good sound you are at 50% of the work.
    People listen to the sound.....musicians listen to the phrasing.

2) Lack of ENERGY.
    Too many young Jazz musician are concentated on notes/intervals/scales/chords, etc…….and play without ENERGY.
    Listen to Satchmo, Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Dexter Gordon, Charlie Christian, Barney Kessel, JOE PASS, PAT MARTINO, JOHN COLTRANE…..the list is endless…..ALL the Great Jazz Musicians play with energy and power.
    As a final (personal) note: Low-Energy-Players are accepted in the modern Jazz field only.
    Luckly in Blues, Rock, Heavy Metal, Rockabilly and Bluegrass there is no room for Low-Energy-Players.

Ettore Quenda.it - Jazz Guitar - Chitarra Jazz

User Info Menu

Great post!

User Info Menu

I voted "No." But, but at that tempo, it was very relaxing to listen to. Nice job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by equenda
    In my opinion we have a very good thing and a bad thing.

1) The sound is good…..and if you play with a good sound you are at 50% of the work.
    People listen to the sound.....musicians listen to the phrasing.

2) Lack of ENERGY.
    Too many young Jazz musician are concentated on notes/intervals/scales/chords, etc…….and play without ENERGY.
    Listen to Satchmo, Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Dexter Gordon, Charlie Christian, Barney Kessel, JOE PASS, PAT MARTINO, JOHN COLTRANE…..the list is endless…..ALL the Great Jazz Musicians play with energy and power.
    As a final (personal) note: Low-Energy-Players are accepted in the modern Jazz field only.
    Luckly in Blues, Rock, Heavy Metal, Rockabilly and Bluegrass there is no room for Low-Energy-Players.

Ettore Quenda.it - Jazz Guitar - Chitarra Jazz
    That's really true !
    Some can play like you said, it depends of the context, some can do it alone (I know you do).
    It tends in jazz school to be an aesthetic standard like if everything were written or predictable : it's more than a challenge to reach that predictability, not a lot of people can do it.
    You talked about people I love, during decades because of this aesthetic standard, I couldn't enjoy players like Lee Konitz, John Abercrombie, Paul Desmond, Art Pepper, Jim Hall and others. With age I began to appreciate their poetry.
    And I said to myself that some play like everyone should, but if you play like everyone should, at the end you're nobody because you're a copy or people say you're a wannabe (like Sonny Stitt, who is a very underrated saxophonist).
    Sorry, I'm just describing what alto saxophonists lived because of Charlie Parker (even if they could play like him or kind of).
    Where am I ?
    So, I do what I can, I'm not saying I'm someone, I would be nobody if I played like everybody should (if I tried I would probably be called a wannabe and I know I can't) but with all my lacking skills, I am more myself than a wannabe.

I am my own piece of Art, that's really arrogant !

I still fall asleep when I'm listening to myself !

That's really true !
    Thanks for your comment.

About the guitar it's a Hartwood Novella.
    The cheapest archtop I found on internet, now it sounds better because it's got now a wooden bridge.
    I'm complaining a bit about the pickups, they are not powerful.
    I compared with someone who had a D'Angelico, that's a very non useful comparison, I plugged my guitar into his AER amp, I had to turn the volume up.
    Unplugged it sounds... unplugged ! Plugged it's got some acoustic characteristics on any amp.

User Info Menu

About plugged and unplugged, you can hear the guitar at 3:13 or better at 18:35 or 34:50 or 12:36
    For the rest, prepare some aspirine or smoke some weed !

Good luck ! You won't need if you don't listen.
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 01-11-2023 at 05:44 AM.

User Info Menu

In terms of sound, I like this guitar.