The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Django Reinhardt,John Scofield,Pat Martino.

What are your thoughts...?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm trying to determine if it is good or bad that I can't think of any...

I've loved and liked many players, but whether they've influenced me or not is not something I'm aware of.

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian, Jimmy Raney, Kurt Rosenwinkel?

tbh that feels a bit untrue. I could pastiche CC’s and Django’s style better than the modern players. I’m more. A guy who’s copied a little bit from a lot of players than someone who’s got into one or two players deeply

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I'm trying to determine if it is good or bad that I can't think of any...

I've loved and liked many players, but whether they've influenced me or not is not something I'm aware of.
    No luthiers you’ve studied?? Sting?

BTW I will be in Edinburgh for a bike tour in July. I will be riding with my friend Jon who is a retired radiologist and excellent bass player. If you’re free and want to share a pint sometime, let me know.

User Info Menu

I don’t know that they would acknowledge influencing my playing…

But I was first entranced by Joe Pass, and he is still my role model.

Kenny Burrell, because of course who wouldn’t want to sound like Kenny Burrell?

And I guess Pat Metheny. I don’t play much like him, but I like his sonic adventurousness, and he is one of the main reasons I got my first 175, along with Joe Pass and Steve Howe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    BTW I will be in Edinburgh for a bike tour in July.
    It would be good to meet up, Jeff. Just PM me nearer then time.

User Info Menu

Hard to keep it to three, but I'll go with:

Wes Montgomery
    George Benson
    Pat Martino

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris

What are your thoughts...?
    Dig deeper.

User Info Menu

Chet Atkins, Johnny Smith, James Burton

User Info Menu

Good question, but my answer changes with time. I would say today off the top of my head:

George Barnes
    Grant Green
    Bill Frisell

Honorary mentions can include Jonathan Kreisberg and, of course, Charlie Christian.

User Info Menu

None !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    None !
    More seriously, if I got influenced by someone it would be more noticeable.
    But I would say I love Joe Pass, Philip Catherine, Biréli Lagrène. They are very special. I also love their personalities even if I don't know them.
    They are cool and humble.
    My wife says I'm influenced by Joe Pass, well... She loves me.
    I really appreciate Howard Alden (7 string guitar) and John Scofield (looper).

User Info Menu

Jim Hall
    Carlos Santana
    BB King

I don't think I sound like any of the three, but each was a big influence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Jim Hall
    Carlos Santana
    BB King

I don't think I sound like any of the three, but each was a big influence.
    Carlos Santana...+1
    I first heard Santana when I was 12.I like his playing very much. Recently I realized the Tribute to Carlos Santana project.

User Info Menu

It's very hard to keep the list down to only three. I can't remember who said it (maybe it was Howard Roberts while I was at GIT), that if you steal from only one it's plagiarism, but if you steal from many then it's research. I guess I've done a lot of research, as I have stolen from many.

Like rpjazzguitar, I would also have to give a nod to Carlos. I had just started high school when their first album came out it really influenced me in that it made me want to get better at guitar, as did Terry Kath, Duane Allman and several others. But my list of 3 would include:

-Wes
    -Joe Diorio
    -Ed Bickert

I remember playing a Wes recording in the car when my then 6-year old son said "He sounds like you" I told him no, that I was trying hard to sound like him. Still, it was the best compliment I ever got!

Paul

User Info Menu

Great compliment!

User Info Menu

Scofield

McLaughlin

Larry Carlton

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery and Ed Bickert. If I'm being honest, I can't think of a third guitar player whom I'm actively trying to learn from with any consistency.

User Info Menu

Django (the electric album he did, sorry no room for le jazz hot). Transcribed Brazil.

Howard Roberts: Jaunty-Jolly, Whatevers Fair, that whole series of albums has its share of schlock, but many short gems of then popular music.

Tal

User Info Menu

Hard to narrow it to 3, I could probably name 20 before having to really stop and think about it. However...and with the caveat that I'd probably pick a different 3 next month.... Charlie Christian, Hank Garland, Richard Harding.

User Info Menu

Grant Green, Ray Crawford, Jim Hall.

User Info Menu

Eddie Lovejoy, Collie Waggoner, Jerry Glassel. Late 50,s early 60,s. More recently. Bob Okendon. And all the above mentioned greats. Mickmac

User Info Menu

John McLaughlin, Mike Stern, Kurt Rosenwinkel.

User Info Menu

Fred Frith, Mary Halvorson, Jessica Ackerley.

User Info Menu

Nice! I have three cats that have influenced me greatly at the beginning of my Jazz Guitar Journey.

Al Dimeola's Elegant Gypsy was my gateway into this music followed by George Benson who turned me onto the more traditional sound, followed by Pat Metheny.

Of course over the years there have been a slew of players who have inspired me to one degree or another...guitarists and no guitarists alike.

Take care.

Lyle - Jazz Guitar Life