The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I have recordings of myself sounding horrible going back decades. I have cassette dubs from the late 70's and reel to reel recordings of incessant nonsense through the early eighties with loud, loud groups. Yet I listen and laugh with delight. I've got Tascam late 80's overdubs with Zappa influenced miking of radiator and Roto-Toms. Early unswinging 'jazz' (eh!). Occasional digital jazz jams with friends. Commercial stock music recordings. Various demos.

I hope you've had the tape running too.

If ADS come up I'm sorry.

Last edited by A. Kingstone; 01-03-2023 at 09:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lost any that mattered in Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Lost any that mattered in Sandy.
    Damn.

User Info Menu

I’ve got some dreadful old recordings of me and schoolmates jamming in the 70s, I only keep them for nostalgia reasons!

I’ve also got some studio recordings of a couple of pop/rock bands I was in at uni. One track from these is actually quite good because it features a great UK folk/pop singer called Sally Barker, she was a friend of our bass player and came in to do one of her songs with us. Even back then you could tell she had a great voice.

No old jazz recordings though, after that I just spent years learning to play jazz, as well as holding down a job and raising a family.

User Info Menu

I have one lesson tape (on. Illies Bounce-cool!) and a cassette of me at the Beacon Theatre organ in NYC. We had wind damage and the flooded below. four strips down from us houses were gone. But we had stuff stored below the house.
    Yea… total damage:
    8 years of lesson tapes with Tal;
    4-5 tapes of my classical organ concerts;
    some number of tapes of solo gigs.
    videos of the kid
    whole bunch of random stuff too.
    Small trade for keeping our house, so many friends lost all.
    Ten years ago this past October. Seems like yesterday.

User Info Menu

The OP had a video initially, which appeared to have been deleted. Pity, as I only heard a few seconds before deciding to return later (now) when I had more time. What I heard didn’t sound embarrassing.

Let’s face it, we’ve all been through changes, and will continue to do so, hopefully. As long as we have not dedicated our lives solely to accounting, then we have nothing to be embarrassed about.

User Info Menu

My YouTube channel used to be exactly that. I played gigs and did tours for so many years before getting a video camera, and I was never much into taking photos etc, so not much memorabilia. I finally got me a small zoom gig friendly camera, and just recorded as many gigs as I could, then uploaded to my YouTube. Was a great way to gather visual memories of fun times and music.

Then when covid came, out of boredom (and also out of enjoying learning sound and video editing), I started uploading guitar videos, which I've never done before. So the channel changed character, but I still try to record gigs for the memories..

I also have tapes from school, first demos, minidisks from my music college days, etc.. I should digitise them really..!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    The OP had a video initially, which appeared to have been deleted. Pity, as I only heard a few seconds before deciding to return later (now) when I had more time. What I heard didn’t sound embarrassing.

Let’s face it, we’ve all been through changes, and will continue to do so, hopefully. As long as we have not dedicated our lives solely to accounting, then we have nothing to be embarrassed about.
    Yeah Rob: I rethunk my original post. I felt I was oversharing with my video. I'm curious as to whether others make and save recordings and by posting the vid I thought the thread would take a different direction. Plus it's a brutal reminder of how thin I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I also have tapes from school, first demos, minidisks from my music college days, etc.. I should digitise them really..!
    I used Garage Band to digitize.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    I have one lesson tape
    I must have hours of MiniDisc recordings of my (and a few others') summerschool (not-officially-masterclass) lessons with a wonderful baroque violinist and teacher. Back in the day I did listen to them from time to time but it has been years - I don't even know if the discs are still playable.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear of your losses in the storm JKritter.

This:
    ...8 years of lesson tapes with Tal...
    is on the order of a national disaster in itself.

I had the great pleasure of experiencing the performance before it was taken down. It's a shame no-one else seems to have the bravery Mr Kingstone showed in putting it up!

I can share this 1972 picture again though :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images Archives-super-amp-jpeg 

Are those two keyboard players or is the person on the left playing percussion?

I missed minidisc but I've still got a DAT player.

The Tascam broke after lots of use but luckily I mixed the whole lot.

User Info Menu

The person on the left in the beanie is likely playing some percussion but I can't be sure. She was mainly a singer.

The only recordings I have from this era where done on one of those little old mono cassette decks that were really more for dictation. The ones with a speaker and built-in mike. And like... 5 huge buttons, or more like levers across one edge. Very warbly and wobbly. I keep thinking I should learn how to use my DAW and see if I can fix those up a bit.

I also have vinyl from some years later, but the material is embarrassingly wobbly. We also embarrassed ourselves further with a PortaStudio. It was when we were trying to 'make it'. Didn't have the integrity of your work :-)

User Info Menu

I have a YouTube channel that documents all of my crap nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    ..... Didn't have the integrity of your work :-)
    Integrity be damned! I wish I was as hip as you in the early 70's.

User Info Menu

In the early 70's I had integrity. By the late 70's I wanted to make a living!

I've never had the guts to do it full time.

User Info Menu

Earliest cassette I have is Dec. 1980 - unless an earlier tape is lurking in a box somewhere. '66 Lake Placid Blue strat thru a 50 watt Marshall head and half-cab. Mostly typical noodling, but I surprise myself sometimes. Yeah, one of those never should have sold it's....

User Info Menu

Well, I’ll chip in too. When I was 17 (I’m 63 now) my sister’s boyfriend heard me play slide guitar up in my bedroom, Johnny Winter style. As he was recording a supposedly punk single at the weekend, he asked me to drop into the studio to record. We had one rehearsal with his band, and then recorded. The song is utter crap, with the highly intellectual chorus line of “I can’t stop jerkin over you”! LOL. As you will hear, it’s more Stones influenced than Punk. The engineer put some chorus on me for the solo. Here it is from a compilation album. The coolest thing about it is that it was banned by the BBC :-)

User Info Menu

^ That isn't disreputable at all. Sounds pretty cool.

User Info Menu

God help me I like that tune

User Info Menu

Lol. Life is strange!

We did a few gigs before giving up. I went into a more Beefheart vein, then took a left turn into classical guitar. But that track is how it all started for me.

User Info Menu

In some of my YT clips I used some of my recordings made from mid '80s till early '00s (lots of recordings still waiting to be uploaded to YT).

With couple exceptions those clips are contained in following playlists:

Punk 1982 - 2013 (recordings 1986 - )
    Kontejner A. D. - YouTube

Pop and electro 1998-2001
    Projekat Lesly - YouTube

Guitars with drum machine 1994-1995
    Belgrade Sucks (Band, DEMO) - YouTube

User Info Menu

I have some reel to reel recordings of me and school friends from early 70s. We were 14 or 15. I havent listened to them for years. There are snippets of a production of Jesus Christ Superstar with me on my Harmony Meteor. I do a fuzz solo through a Colorsound Supatonebender (can't remember the amp). I have to say i played a really cool lick which to this day i have never been able to recreate.