The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I guess there is research that proves that people respond more to negatives than positive things. Scrolling through any topic of YT vids I'm overwhelmed with the amount of shaming, blaming, criticizing, sh$t talking negative titles.
    Stop playing major chords.
    You're peeling bananas wrong.
    Why you suck at brushing your teeth.
    Never say hello.
    You should know this buy now.
    Women hate men who do this.
    Do this or women will hate you.
    And on and on it goes. I suppose it's partly similar to the 24 hour news channels; people have a channel that puts out a new video every week, they don't have anything if significance so they just put something out. It's not informative, new or constructive, it's just trash talking BS. Like most members here (I'm assuming) most of what I watch is related to music, so that's what I see most of, it's pretty much the same whether you're searching cooking/recipes, home maintenance repair, electronics hacks or how to tie a double Windsor knot. For this negativity to be so common, there has to be a marketing truism behind it, but I can't imagine why that truism does exist. Do people really seek out confirmation of their horrible self image and social fears of inadequacy?
    Fwiw... though I'm nothing special, I'm also not ridicule seeking chump, so I adhere to a strict policy of never clicking on these kinds of titles.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yup, humans are often… let’s say, disappointing.

I also have a no click policy on videos with the "stupid/confused face" thumbnail. If you are that confused by it, you probably shouldn’t be making a video.

User Info Menu

One weird trick is all it takes.

Content creators hate me, because I read books instead of watching adverts.

User Info Menu

"You're peeling bananas wrong." Cracked me up - thanks!

User Info Menu

It's friggin annoying. Often I won't click the video if it has a stupid title even if I'm interested in what I think the content is just to show them. :P

User Info Menu

Cheap psychology

worst thing is it works

User Info Menu

Oh man, don’t get me started. This “thing” that google have shaped is so awful. The insanity of the titles is driven completely by their own recommendations and algorithms. The stream of fluff comes from google’s long-standing admonition of “content is king”, tell ing every content creator that churning out more is a critical part of ranking well in search .. when it really was nothing more than google saying “we want people on the internet all day, every day. We’ll reward YOU (the creators) if you eternally feed the beast”.

My favorite rant right now about YT is on the pictures everybody uses in their video thumbnail .. the looks they use for confusion or surprise or anger or whatever .. it’s just absolutely crazy how routinely these people post the most stupid looking images attached to their video because some SEO guru told them to. Even some creators who post really good content just use the cartoonish images of themselves because they feel they have to in order to compete in that marketplace. It’s just ridiculous.

User Info Menu

One weird tip: the target audience is teenage.

User Info Menu

This has nothing to do with negativity, just a formal pattern. It is does not matter if the clickbait is in the form of "stop doing this or that" or "start doing this or that" or "British scientists discover the secret formula of ..."

All those forms build on the lazy wishful thinking. Beliving in a magic wand, which will allow the target audience to achieve a result without doing considerable effort. Sad.

User Info Menu

Even Peppa Pig is pulling the stupid youtube face.

Negativity in YT titles-262d5484-dc17-413c-8e5f-5062994685ca-jpeg

User Info Menu

I have to cut, haul, split, and stack firewood. I need to shoot, gut, skin, and quarter some deer this week for Christmas presents. I have three roosters left that needs butchered. I have a guitar coming thursday and I was thinking of dropping off my main player with the luthier to have a bridge pickup changed but he lives 35 miles from here.

User Info Menu

Tried it, not sure if it worked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Tried it, not sure if it worked.

It sounds great brother!

User Info Menu

For some reason, I've always hated the "Reaction" video thumbnails....
    "Classically Trained Vocalist Reacts To Motley Crüe's Vince Neil"
    or some such nonsense.
    I should make a Reaction To A Reaction video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewNewcastleBud
    For some reason, I've always hated the "Reaction" video thumbnails....
    "Classically Trained Vocalist Reacts To Motley Crüe's Vince Neil"
    or some such nonsense.
    I should make a Reaction To A Reaction video.
    Classic symbiosys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    It sounds great brother!
    Thanks man!

I think I'll try some more negative titles in the new year instead of my usual "make a bad pun/obscure reference to the song's actual title" posts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Even Peppa Pig is pulling the stupid youtube face.

Negativity in YT titles-262d5484-dc17-413c-8e5f-5062994685ca-jpeg
    What the hell is going on with your YouTube recommendations?

Actually probably best not to know..

User Info Menu

Even Open Studio resorts to the negative click bait titles. Sad, because they're usually pretty honest. However, Adam is low key mad at theory and it shows sometimes like in this video lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    What the hell is going on with your YouTube recommendations?

Actually probably best not to know..
    yeah it struck me as pretty weird, I usually get stuff like jazz or classical guitar videos.

I was signed out of google/youtube for some reason, so maybe this is what you get when logged out.

(this is my story and I’m sticking to it...)

User Info Menu

I must say Dr Squish’s slime mixing video looks a lot more interesting than most jazz instruction videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I must say Dr Squish’s slime mixing video looks a lot more interesting than most jazz instruction videos.
    True!

at least it’s not a surprised bearded face with ‘you’ve been playing your chords WRONG’ underneath

Right, I’m off to plan my next video…

User Info Menu

Is "happy tree friends" positive or negative title?

User Info Menu

Is "notes don't matter" positive or negative statement?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Is "notes don't matter" positive or negative statement?
    If you work for 3M, making Post It's,
    it's probably not good,...
    unless you hate your job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I guess there is research that proves that people respond more to negatives than positive things. Scrolling through any topic of YT vids I'm overwhelmed with the amount of shaming, blaming, criticizing, sh$t talking negative titles.
    I don't watch negatively titled videos.
    I also don't watch videos that say something like "five things you MUST do" or "MUST NOT do", or anything by Rick Beato.