The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play a peerless Cremona16 which came with D'Addario ECG25s. For some reason the tension seems to make it more difficult to play fingerstyle.
    I was looking for suggestions of strings with the same gauge. I think if I were to switch gauges the intonation would be off and it is a wooden bridge.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rich

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Rich…
    Advising on strings is like telling someone which girl to date. Just got to try’em.
    But don’t worry about intonation with a wooden bridge. You just move it either one way or the other to lengthen or shorten. My Ibanez woodies tend to end up straight; my Gibson woodies always seem to be angled high end shorter. Go figure.
    jk

User Info Menu

IME, Chromes definitely have a stiffer feel than nickel roundwounds. I’ve liked John Pearse especially on my archtop guitar. I like the Optima strings I’ve got on it now even better. Other than changing picks, this is about the cheapest way to have some fun with, and change the tone of, a jazz guitar. Enjoy the search!

User Info Menu

Advising on strings is like telling someone which girl to date. Just got to try’em.
    Developing this comparison... you do not have to try them all to find the one you want to stay with)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patriots2006
    I was looking for suggestions of strings with the same gauge. I think if I were to switch gauges the intonation would be off and it is a wooden bridge.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rich
    If you switch to another gauge, be careful with the G string, I don't think that a wooden bridge is made for a plain G string.
    Choose something with a wound G string.
    That's my suggestion.

User Info Menu

How much mileage do you get from the Optima strings and which set do you purchase for your jazz archtop?
    Thanks