The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My Black Friday purchase was a string arranging course on Udemy.

For €10 it is amazing value being very in depth with around 11 hours of lectures broken up into easy digestible pieces. There are also a lot of hands on projects etc.

Anyway the point of this post is to encourage people to look at the courses on Udemy in conjunction with your other favourite sites.

Sure, much of the stuff in my string course can be found on YouTube, as can much of the stuff that's on sale from other educators, but I like the fact that I can work through this course in a coherent way without having to jump around from YouTube channel to channel.

I'm very happy with the value that I received from the course.

Note: I don't have any courses, not do I know anyone ( that I know of) that has a course, on Udemy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I came here wondering what kind of affliction you had been diagnosed with

(So just for the what's-in-a-name I'll keep prefering Coursera )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I came here wondering what kind of affliction you had been diagnosed with

(So just for the what's-in-a-name I'll keep prefering Coursera )
    My affliction is GAS
    Although thankfully as I'm getting older my GAS is slowly getting under control

I'll check out Coursera.

User Info Menu

I do one of their Tai Chi classes…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I do one of their Tai Chi classes…
    How did you find that in terms of value in terms of monetary, physical and mental Rob?

User Info Menu

Glad to hear there are some valuable items to discover.

Regarding Udemy I never thought about other topics than computer related, IT, and software development (my profession), but the best I can say is the courses are varying in quality. With less polite words, you practically play russian roulette when purchasing a course, and you do that with very bad odds... Still in mathematical terms, you have a non-zero chance to get some valuable...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    How did you find that in terms of value in terms of monetary, physical and mental Rob?
    Too early to tell. With Tai Chi, you really need a face-to-face teacher, so I’m just going through the course to give me an introduction to what’s involved before travelling to a class somewhere. The course I chose is easy to follow, with twenty micro moves which eventually become a single integrated and flowing move. Each in itself is not hard, but doing it with full concentration, good breath control, and flowing movements takes a lifetime to perfect, I’m told.

So, for my purposes, I don’t feel I’ve wasted money - only £13 in all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Although thankfully as I'm getting older my GAS is slowly getting under control
    I was going to write "said the liarspoker" but I realise the forum does that for me

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    With Tai Chi, you really need a face-to-face teacher
    Indeed (my 1st thought when I read your announcement), as with any martial art, unless you're already sufficiently well-trained in another one (based on similar principles). Pretty much like with a musical instrument