The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

After some time deliberating and reflecting upon the dearth of bass players, pianists, wind players and others in our part of rural France interested in playing eg standards, I have finally decided to buckle down and get to grips with properly learning chord melody.

The question is, do I get any relief from so much of the stuff that I spent so much of my retirement time woodshedding? Only half joking.

David
    Last edited by blackcat; 11-24-2022 at 01:41 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, you get to replace single note scales and arpeggios with Diad, triad and chord scales and arpeggios. So that’s new, but also more mentally challenging.

User Info Menu

Just add chord melody to your long term regimen. No need to drop important aspects of playing. Imo you want to be proficient at every aspect of music - bass, chording, melody, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Just add chord melody to your long term regimen. No need to drop important aspects of playing. Imo you want to be proficient at every aspect of music - bass, chording, melody, etc.
    I can see that and thanks, but age is one factor coupled with the frustration of not being able to even locate a jam session this side of a 1.5 hour drive ( Toulouse ) and even then pretty thin on the ground. Having dipped in to the chord melody area several times over the years, it seems to me that to become even remotely proficient one would need to devote a disproportionate chunk of practice time to it. Maybe it is a matter of perspective?

David

User Info Menu

My perspective is to add it to the long term plan. Because that is how you get tough topics under your fingers. Put some time in every day on the topic and it will get done. That way you're not focusing on the huge task and time commitment short term and kicking out other good playing habits you have.

User Info Menu

I'm also getting older and did my last duo gig before Covid. Even then I was getting into solo guitar big time.
    It's all that I play now and would highly recommend it. Learn some arrangements then use Tim Lerch's Chordal Improv course to learn to improvise.
    The gigs you will get, if you want to gig, are pleasant wallpaper gigs. Low stress and you keep all the money.
    I say go for it

User Info Menu

You're not going to lose any of what you know by broadening your perspective.
    As an example, I was afraid that studying classical music would take away from the precious life time needed to become a better jazz improvisor. But I found that studying certain pieces from the classical repertoire, when treated with the same rigour and awareness of harmonic information as I'd treat a jazz piece, actually made me a better solo player, a more informed classical player and that allowed be to be a better soloist with many more melodic choices than I would have imagined on my own.

Fear of learning too much may be that you don't see the depth of how much you actually grow by introducing a new element.
    I understand your reluctance to waste time that you perceive to be finite, but any time you enrich the quality of the body of knowledge you possess, you make yourself a more informed student. When you apply your dedication and mind to make the connexions, you can become a better player.

There's something you love about chord solo. You can be all you want to be. Be fearless and go for it. Now is how it begins.

User Info Menu

Let me get motivational for a minute.

You CAN learn this song in a day. If I did it, you can. Then you’ll be playing chord melody. It’s not Mt Everest, it’s just another step you have to go up.

Play the melody, hit some chords when you can. You’re on the road. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Playing chord-melody is just a part of learning a tune. It's a pretty trivial step to come up with chord-melody versions on the fly if you are aware of how the melody notes relate to the chord in the moment. If you're not aware of the harmonic space you're in when you're playing a tune, then I would argue you don't know the tune yet. Melody and harmonization aren't two separate compartments.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 11-25-2022 at 10:40 AM.

User Info Menu

I saw this old vid today, which is perhaps relevant

User Info Menu

2nd what Jimmy blue note, Christian, Liarspoker, and Tal said. You won't have to give up other important aspects of playing to learn a new important aspect, and it's important to sound good by yourself. Most importantly, melody and chording aren't 2 separate compartments. Chord melody isn't absolutely essential for guitar, but it's really a no brainer that it should be added as a skill when you can. When you learn it, you realize that melody comes from harmony both theoretically and tactilely. They blend into each other and support each other with the knowledge, awareness, and how you play them with your hands.

User Info Menu

Thank you Christian - words of wisdom from the man who who put the guitar on Don't Know Why by N.Jones.

David

User Info Menu

2nd what Jimmy blue note, Christian, Liarspoker, and Tal said. You won't have to give up other important aspects of playing to learn a new important aspect, and it's important to sound good by yourself. Most importantly, melody and chording aren't 2 separate compartments. Chord melody isn't absolutely essential for guitar, but it's really a no brainer that it should be added as a skill when you can. When you learn it, you realize that melody comes from harmony both theoretically and tactilely. They blend into each other and support each other with the knowledge, awareness, and how you play them with your hands.
    Thanks Jimmy. I guess at this point I should be thanking everyone who has replied to my original post. I can see the logic in all of them, but given that I am realistically unlikely to play with others again why would I not put all my eggs in the one basket and make the best job I can of so-called chord melody arrangements and techniques given that it seems to be generally agreed that it is one of the most difficult aspects of jazz guitar if approcahed properly?

Thanks again,

David

User Info Menu

I see what you're saying. Yes, that's a good idea to only focus on things that sound good solo such as chord melody if that's the situation you're always going to be in. My goal is solo Hammond because I always play solo so I spend zero time practicing to backing tracks on piano with a left hand comp and right hand solo line. I only work on things that are for my solo playing, although I do isolate topics like right hand only line work, right hand chord melody, or left hand bass line right hand comp.

User Info Menu

I see what you're saying. Yes, that's a good idea to only focus on things that sound good solo such as chord melody if that's the situation you're always going to be in. My goal is solo Hammond because I always play solo so I spend zero time practicing to backing tracks on piano with a left hand comp and right hand solo line. I only work on things that are for my solo playing, although I do isolate topics like right hand only line work, right hand chord melody, or left hand bass line right hand comp.
    Perfect analogy!

David

User Info Menu

One thing not to drop - practicing in time. Solo playing is not an excuse to wallow in rubato.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    One thing not to drop - practicing in time. Solo playing is not an excuse to wallow in rubato.
    Point taken Christian and that is clearly excellent advice. However, can we vouch that all examples of top notch players playing solo are right on the money?

Just a thought

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Point taken Christian and that is clearly excellent advice. However, can we vouch that all examples of top notch players playing solo are right on the money?

Just a thought

David
    Sure. But rubato should always be a choice.

User Info Menu

There's good, intentional rubato, and shitty, meandering, rubato.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    There's good, intentional rubato, and shitty, meandering, rubato.
    Now we're talking!