The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

My latest book. NO TAB. Here's the blurb from Mel Bay:

Most instrumentalists would agree with the author’s introductory statement, that the six Bach cello suites are “…one of the greatest collections of solo instrumental music ever written.”Many amateur classic guitarists have endeavored to play favorite movements of the suites, and a few professionals have recorded all six in their entirety. The author himself has played them on various plucked-string instruments. Here, for the first time, Rob MacKillop and Mel Bay Publications present the Six Cello Suites of J. S. Bach, transcribed for the plectrum-style acoustic or electric guitarist!

According to MacKillop, Bach had an overall didactic plan and each suite increases in emotional depth and difficulty, posing specific problems to the plectrum guitarist or any instrumentalist. For example: Using a pick, how do you play a 2-note interval when there is a string in-between the two notes? MacKillop provides a good deal of fingering in the early suites suggesting solutions to this and other issues, but ultimately encourages readers to make their own decisions through careful analysis and left-hand fingering.If you stay the course and play through all six suites, you will gain a personal understanding not only of the Baroque suite, but also of left-hand digitation, picking direction, and the guitar fretboard. Written in standard notation in guitar-friendly keys for the intermediate to advanced plectrum guitarist, this book is destined to be a part of university curriculums and recitals worldwide. It deserves a place in your music library too.

Link to Mel Bay - available as hard copy or eBook: https://www.melbay.com/Products/3097...lo-suites.aspx

Complete Bach Cello Suites arranged for Plectrum Guitar-unnamed-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I hate say this about Bach’s music, but it makes great sight-reading material too! Just add a touch of swing

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

I have always love the sparse richness and powerful brevity of the cello suites, and the sonority of that instruments is such a kin to the guitar. Thank you for doing this Rob. It'll make a great companion to my Lorrimer transcriptions. I'm looking forward to jumping into these and exploring your own interpretive decisions.
    One thing I've loved about the cello suites is the sense of 'fight' and sheer expressive effort in wringing it from a cello, it was the sound of effort and grace. Guitar transcriptions up to this point have seemed almost too easy, not in playing, but in sound. I found a worthy challenge in using a fretless guitar with the original scores. There was the sound of challenge.
    Can't wait to see your take on this interpretive aesthetic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Nice!
    Thank you, sir!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I have always love the sparse richness and powerful brevity of the cello suites, and the sonority of that instruments is such a kin to the guitar. Thank you for doing this Rob. It'll make a great companion to my Lorrimer transcriptions. I'm looking forward to jumping into these and exploring your own interpretive decisions.
    One thing I've loved about the cello suites is the sense of 'fight' and sheer expressive effort in wringing it from a cello, it was the sound of effort and grace. Guitar transcriptions up to this point have seemed almost too easy, not in playing, but in sound. I found a worthy challenge in using a fretless guitar with the original scores. There was the sound of challenge.
    Can't wait to see your take on this interpretive aesthetic.
    Jimmy, Bach apparently did not write these suites for the cello - shock! - but for the violoncello da spalla, which is actually closer to guitar size:

User Info Menu

Congratulations on the book Rob. It’s good to see that you stay very busy!

User Info Menu

Indeed. I have five Mel Bay books scheduled for release this year, and they were all written a year or two ago. So, I'm not that busy now, it just looks that way!

User Info Menu

Great work Rob! Bringing these works to guitarists that would never have a chance at them is a worthy effort.

On cellos and such….
    Bach on his time didn’t limit himself to particular instruments, he tried everything he could get his hands on. Often traveling quite far to do so, not that easy in 17th century terms. So realizing the Suites on cello, guitar, violin cello de spala, etc is right in line with his thinking.

And he frequently took compositions from one instrument and moved them to others. ‘Air on a G String’, several solo violin concertos, the ‘short’ d minor fugue shows up for organ, keyboard, solo violin and lute; many were switched around. There are six organ concertos he wrote that are note for note from Vivaldi string concertos.

The only one that bothers me is the modern piano being used for his keyboard compositions to the complete disregard of the historically ‘correct’ harpsichord or clavichord. our modern ears are cheated by the total focus on piano. Just as the suites take on entirely different flavors on guitar vs cello, the keyboard works on piano become almost bombastic compared to the subtle clavichord. In the orchestral Setting, the harpsichord provided a percussive rhythm the piano just doesn’t have.

The more you study Bach, the more incredible and fascinating his music and mind becomes.
    (Yup, my usual organist bias setting in)

Anyways, kudos to Rob!
    jk

User Info Menu

I went to a clavichord concert once. It was incredibly quiet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I hate say this about Bach’s music, but it makes great sight-reading material too! Just add a touch of swing
    Its even stylistically correct

Notes inegales - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Rob, this is a really nice addition to your catalog.

You are a true curator and ambassador for the guitar. We're lucky to have you around!

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. I'll never be a "real or proper" jazz guitarist, but I have a tremendous love for it, and like hanging out here, and am pleased you allow me to do so. I learn something every time I come here, and like to give back (Bach) in anyway I can.

User Info Menu

Wow Rob, for plectrum! (cat here from the mandolin fora where we've chatted previously)

I'm a Bach lover and have played my favorite selections from the suites for several decades - only lately began playing them on cello.

User Info Menu

Hi Cat! I tried the cello on and off for a year. Enjoyed the left-hand work, but the bow killed me off. Wish I’d started it aged 7!

User Info Menu

Ya I played a lot of arco bass - assuming that I'd eventually get into cello - on which I like to play Scottish tunes too. Had to cut back on guitar due to wrist/hand issues, which isn't exacerbated by cello.

User Info Menu

Here's another option which, I've heard, is well regarded:

Solo Cello Suites of Bach transcribed for Guitar

Amazing musician, trained in jazz and classical.

User Info Menu

Wow, any demo vids please? Prelude to Suite 1 would be special.

User Info Menu

My latest book. NO TAB. Here's the blurb from Mel Bay:

Most instrumentalists would agree with the author’s introductory statement, that the six Bach cello suites are “…one of the greatest collections of solo instrumental music ever written.”Many amateur classic guitarists have endeavored to play favorite movements of the suites, and a few professionals have recorded all six in their entirety. The author himself has played them on various plucked-string instruments. Here, for the first time, Rob MacKillop and Mel Bay Publications present the Six Cello Suites of J. S. Bach, transcribed for the plectrum-style acoustic or electric guitarist!

According to MacKillop, Bach had an overall didactic plan and each suite increases in emotional depth and difficulty, posing specific problems to the plectrum guitarist or any instrumentalist. For example: Using a pick, how do you play a 2-note interval when there is a string in-between the two notes? MacKillop provides a good deal of fingering in the early suites suggesting solutions to this and other issues, but ultimately encourages readers to make their own decisions through careful analysis and left-hand fingering.If you stay the course and play through all six suites, you will gain a personal understanding not only of the Baroque suite, but also of left-hand digitation, picking direction, and the guitar fretboard. Written in standard notation in guitar-friendly keys for the intermediate to advanced plectrum guitarist, this book is destined to be a part of university curriculums and recitals worldwide. It deserves a place in your music library too.

Link to Mel Bay - available as hard copy or eBook: https://www.melbay.com/Products/3097...lo-suites.aspx

Excellent Rob - a real achievement. You may find this interesting from my good friend Chris Newman: Chris Newman – Breaking Bach - Flatpicking The Partitas (2021, CD) - Discogs I believe he had a Collings model made especially for the project. Mostly plays en duo with his award winning Irish harp partner : Home Chris toured with Stephane Graphelli when in his late teens - teaches bluegrass at Steve Kaufmann's summer workshops in Tennessee each year - does not read.

User Info Menu

Thank you for not including tab, Rob. I can't wait to get this!

User Info Menu

A copy will be bought by me. No tabs,great. Twice as many staffs of notation same space...

User Info Menu

Best wishes, Bob!

User Info Menu

On its way...

User Info Menu

Hooray!

User Info Menu

My latest book. NO TAB.

Well done and many thanks for this, which I will certainly order to add to my Bach collection. I also prefer not having the tab - not that I've anything against tab - but I'm intrigued as to why it was decided to publish with notation only; would a publisher not expect larger sales if tab was included?