• Total of all others a little more than JGO

6 14.29%
  • Total of others a LOT more than JGO

14 33.33%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 66

User Info Menu

Some of us spend quite some time on this forum (a little too much some may say!), but what about time we spend on other platforms? (including Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, other forums etc)

As usual, let's be honest ....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't entirely understand the options in the poll - 'total of all others' is very difficult to say. I use facebook and like this forum, the tab is open most the day, whether I am 'using' it or not. Same with a few other forums. Also it varies over time...

Yeah, it's probably hard to estimate for many reasons, but maybe try to guess an average over time?

My guess is that many of us will find it hard to admit to how much time we spend on internet based socials, but I'm curious all the same. I mean, if we're trying to find time to practice Jazz guitar, then every minute spent on socials, including JGO, is a minute questionably spent !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I mean, if we're trying to find time to practice Jazz guitar, then every minute spent on socials, including JGO, is a minute questionably spent !
    I don't think so. Generally I spend ten or so minutes to relax checking out forums etc. before moving on to whatever else is next on my schedule - guitar practice, musicianship, composing, Duolingo etc. Sometimes it will eat into my schedule a bit more than I had planned if I get involved in a discussion, but it's not a big deal. I could be more strict about following my schedule but it makes sense to relax a bit in between.

User Info Menu

I prefer to think of JGO as antisocial media

User Info Menu

JGO and Youtube is my entire life. It's better than nothing I guess.
    I try to keep it light but I read long threads in detail all the time.

Jazz is the most infuriatingly static entity in the universe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    People have unique way of arguing here. There's nothing quite like it.

User Info Menu

I use this JGO site and the Turner Classic Movie site.

The Turner Classis Movie chat room is closing down on November 30th 2022.

Users there are trying to find another classic movie website.

Many of us have used this TCM site for over 20 years!

We will miss what many of us have taken for granted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I use this JGO site and the Turner Classic Movie site.

The Turner Classis Movie chat room is closing down on November 30th 2022.

Users there are trying to find another classic movie website.

Many of us have used this TCM site for over 20 years!

We will miss what many of us have taken for granted.
    Internet Archive: About IA

I stumbled upon this site, and while I haven't joined a chatroom etc., it has an incredible amount of TCM as well as foreign classics. If I could only learn how to search available foreign titles for results w/ close captioning in English, I'd be set. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    JGO and Youtube is my entire life. It's better than nothing I guess.
    Well it's certainly better than most TV, but still not sure if it really is "better than nothing". It's too hard to go back to "nothing" in order to make a comparison, so I guess I'll never know. Addiction is a bitch...

User Info Menu

Nil. And JGO is not social media.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Nil. And JGO is not social media.
    No, it's more like a secret society.

User Info Menu

I voted "Nothing except as JGO", forgetting youtube and stackoverflow. Anyway although I watch youtube every day, I rarely post on there, once a year, and stackoverflow is not a typical social platform.

LOL on comment as this forum can be thought more like antisocial. The thought, it is a waste of time, probably crossed many of us mind, but everybody needs feedback, I mean reflections on his own thoughts, without that we would be our own, which is not a good thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    i think of JGO as a role-playing server.

User Info Menu

The poll lacks the option(s) along the lines of "none of your business" and/or "why would we discuss that here"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    Very good one, LOL, why I am feel myself spoken to? :-)

User Info Menu

I use most of it for posting gig and lesson stuff, but actually only spend time here more or less.. I do watch live music on YouTube.

User Info Menu

I follow a few forums based on my hobbies. Right now, I spend a fair, OK, too much, time on the Miata.net forum. In my experience Miata people are the smartest, best-read, most social and best-adjusted forum people.

OK, that was a little over the top, but they are a fine group of people with diverse tastes outside of autos. They also like really cool cars other than the Miata, which is a plus.

I previously spent time on various BMW forums, a WRX forum or 2, and a Tacoma forum. They were all either more pretentious or more undisciplined than the Miata forum. I am on a Honda Ridgeline forum as well, but those guys are pretty dull compared to the convertible crowd. And much less prolific posters.

I used to spend a lot of time on a couple of woodworking forums, and occasionally check in to see what people are up to—look at finished pieces for instance.

Much as I love all types of music, I just don’t find other music forums to have the character of JGO. Jazz guitars are just special. They’re not for everyone, but there’s a reason people like—LOVE—jazz guitars and jazz music in general.

As far as other social media, I don’t spend too much time these days on Facebook, except to check in on a few relatives and friends. And occasionally post a cool pic or piece of art or a joke. I try to stay away from the political stuff. I noticed that if I stopped clicking on people’s inflammatory political posts, I saw less of them in my feed. Amazing, i’n’t it?

I don’t really do Twitter, Instagram, TikTok or anything else. I don’t frankly understand some of these media, and why take the time to learn?

I do watch a fair amount of YouTube, especially concert videos. I watched SRV last night in a 1986 concert in Austin—blew the roof off the place. The crowd hardly knew what hit ‘em.

Oh btw I go way back on social media and websites. I mean as far back as CompuServe forums and AOL groups and Myspace.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    world of borecraft

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Oh btw I go way back on social media and websites. I mean as far back as CompuServe forums and AOL groups and Myspace.
    oh yes Compuserve. It is hard to imagine nowadays, the pre Internet stoneage. Sometimes when I try to explain to my students, what it is, a centralized server, and connect to with phone lines working 2400 baud, and there were a community, forums, etc, I see on the faces they have problems to process this information :-).

And there were the BBS-es too. It took a 3 minutes to download an average quality picture, (of course those were art pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    The poll lacks the option(s) along the lines of "none of your business" and/or "why would we discuss that here"
    Fair enough, I'll count the likes to your post as votes for these missing options. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    ...Right now, I spend a fair, OK, too much, time on the Miata.net forum. In my experience Miata people are the smartest, best-read, most social and best-adjusted forum people.

A good number of the members on this forum are no slouches either, it must be said. One of he reasons I'll come here. There's been more than a few robust debates on many off topics too which I appreciate. I just came from a couple of minutes on Reddit, to see what the world is saying about the Kanye - Piers Morgan interview. After a few "OMG, Kanye is a legend/genius/bravest truth teller of all time etc..." I realised there was no intelligent discussion to be found there. I'm sure if I looked harder I can find something with a pulse elsewhere, or I could start a thread right here and no doubt read some surprisingly insightful comments weighing in on both sides.... until it gets canned

User Info Menu

Two recommendations:

Want YouTube without all the Google tracking crap and without commercials?

Use the invidious frontend. Find an invidious server near you. Better find one near you that has video download enabled so you can watch the videos offline.

Select instance - Invidious

If you want to embed a video you found via invidious e.g. here, there is still the option “Watch on YouTube” to get a link that e.g. JGO can use to embed the video in a forum post.

Want to use twitter with a similar frontend?

Use nitter.net. No need to login if you are just a passive follower. I like to check e.g. the posts by Ethan Iverson from time to time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    A good number of the members on this forum are no slouches either, it must be said. One of he reasons I'll come here. There's been more than a few robust debates on many off topics too which I appreciate. I just came from a couple of minutes on Reddit, to see what the world is saying about the Kanye - Piers Morgan interview. After a few "OMG, Kanye is a legend/genius/bravest truth teller of all time etc..." I realised there was no intelligent discussion to be found there. I'm sure if I looked harder I can find something with a pulse elsewhere, or I could start a thread right here and no doubt read some surprisingly insightful comments weighing in on both sides.... until it gets canned
    I follow pop music but not pop culture most of the time. I think a Kanye thread would get shut down pretty quick here.

User Info Menu

I use YouTube a lot, then there's an acoustic guitar site. I frequent a photography forum, too, as well as posting photos on Flickr. I spend a fair bit of time on chess.com. I do use Facebook, too, mainly for subforums on guitar and clarinet playing. I also visit a Gypsy jazz guitar site.

No wonder I'm rubbish at jazz guitar, with all that distraction.