The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Here's a link to Archive.org to a Guitarist Roundtable in Downbeat magazine from July 24, 1958 with Sal Salvador, Jim Hall, Mundell Lowe, Johnny Smith and Chuck Wayne. They talk about their instruments, practice and improvements they would like to see in guitars. It's a guitar issue with articles about Barney Kessel, "Toots" Thielman, Laurindo Almeida plus a short History of Jazz Guitar.

Down Beat 1958-07-24: Vol 25 Iss 15 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Guitarists Roundtable - Downbeat July 24, 1958-sim_down-beat_1958-07-24_25_15_0000-jpg

Archive.org has a collection of Downbeat magazines from 1934 to 2014. I enjoy reading some of the articles, news, record reviews and instrument ads. I saw a couple for those Kay Barney Kessel guitars. I thought this might be of interest to members. Please excuse me if this has been posted before.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Enjoyed reading this. Thanks. What was interesting reading the Editorial about Dick Clark's Bandstand and this new music "Rock and Roll".

User Info Menu

And fyi that site is incredible.........The site has me on a French New Wave film kick lately, and even the bad ones I've found there are good....The worst part for me though is stumbling upon what looks like / most likely is a really good film, only to learn it doesn't have Eng. subtitles.......

....and yes for sure my practice time is suffering !.... : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    And fyi that site is incredible.........The site has me on a French New Wave film kick lately, and even the bad ones I've found there are good....The worst part for me though is stumbling upon what looks like / most likely is a really good film, only to learn it doesn't have Eng. subtitles.......

Have you tried searching for those films on OK.ru? They have many movies with subtitles. I've also found many film noirs that are not available elsewhere. To search on Google, you need to put Ok.ru after the name of the movie. Otherwise, it doesn't always show them in the search results. This seems like some kind of bias in Google's search system.

User Info Menu

I found the interview with Wes Montgomery from the July 20, 1961 5th Annual Guitar Issue that is often quoted elsewhere. I will look for the other Annual Guitar Issues and post them here if found.

Down Beat 1961-07-20: Vol 28 Iss 15 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Guitarists Roundtable - Downbeat July 24, 1958-sim_down-beat_1961-07-20_28_15_0000-jpg

User Info Menu

The Internet Archive also has a movie that might be helpful if you want to learn a certain jazz standard from the original by ear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    Have you tried searching for those films on OK.ru? They have many movies with subtitles. I've also found many film noirs that are not available elsewhere. To search on Google, you need to put Ok.ru after the name of the movie. Otherwise, it doesn't always show them in the search results. This seems like some kind of bias in Google's search system.
    It is a Russian file hosting site. It is so dodgy that it is blocked by Reddit. I would not touch it with a bargepole.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    It is a Russian file hosting site. It is so dodgy that it is blocked by Reddit. I would not touch it with a bargepole.
    Maybe the blocking is part of the economic war. (No, I do not like Putin at all.)

EDIT: In case s/o did not get it — this post is half (but only half) ironic. Of course be careful with such sites and never visit them w/o a blocking [sic] plugin.

User Info Menu

I've been watching movies on OK.ru for years with no problems. It's a popular site in the film noir groups on Facebook and none of them have reported problems. According to Alexa, it 's internet ranking is 56th in the world and 7th in Russia. I was surprised when it wasn't banned or blocked after the invasion of Ukraine.

User Info Menu

It's amazing how great DB used to be compared to the POS it is today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim

....I'm trying to remember whose DB cover photo made me decide to finally cancel my subscription - - I think it was Michael Jackson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I agree. They had musical examples in notation, interviews,the Blindfold Test and many of the reviewers were intelligent writers who are now famous for their books, I remember a chord voicing from Dizzy Gillespie in Salt Peanuts that I still use. I started to read it back in the late 60's and over the decades found there was little of interest anymore, though I occasionally checked it out as some of connection to the world of jazz. So many recordings I listen to were made by musicians who were active in the 50's and 60's and the collection is a treasure trove of interviews, reviews and news about them.
    Last edited by zephyrregent; 10-17-2022 at 10:56 PM.

User Info Menu

....I'm trying to remember whose DB cover photo made me decide to finally cancel my subscription - - I think it was Michael Jackson.
    Jimi Hendrix.

User Info Menu

Wow. Those record reviews are..... rough!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    The Internet Archive also has a movie that might be helpful if you want to learn a certain jazz standard from the original by ear.
    Stella clearly with B flat diminished, as Barry Harris has pointed out. I forgot the name of the movie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    Stella clearly with B flat diminished, as Barry Harris has pointed out. I forgot the name of the movie.
    Just like the title in the link says: “The Uninvited” from 1944.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    Wow. Those record reviews are..... rough!
    Same with Kenny Burrell’s blindfold test in that issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Enjoyed reading this. Thanks. What was interesting reading the Editorial about Dick Clark's Bandstand and this new music "Rock and Roll".
    An earlier 50's article warned of the danger of the acceptance of rhythm and blues as lewd, lascivious and lurid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Same with Kenny Burrell’s blindfold test in that issue.
    Critics were hard to please. One 1959 issue had two negative reviews of performances by Miles Davis' Sextet with Wynton Kelly, Philly Joe Jones, Paul Chambers, Trane and Cannonball and Ahmad Jamal's trio with Verniell Fournier and Israel Crosby.

User Info Menu

I always enjoyed reading the "Blindfold" tests. Some were very funny. A great one was by alto saxophonist Lou Donaldson. He was given a tune by alto saxophonist David Binney.

"3. David Binney
    “Solo” (from Third Occasion, Mythology ). Binney, alto saxophone. Recorded in 2008.

Before: I tell you one thing; you can take that off, whoever it is. I don’t even care. That’s got nothing to do with jazz at all. They say he’s searching, but I know what he’s searching for—a saxophone teacher. That’s what he needs.
    Have you ever played free?
    No, I never played free ’cause I wanted to get paid [laughter]. A lot of people asked me why did you play those funk records? I said, look man, in the record business the record company will keep you on if you sell some records. If you don’t sell any records, you fired. I know a lot of great, well not exactly great but a lot of good musicians who could have sustained a little longer if they’d have just bent, just a little. Not a whole lot, just a little. But they wouldn’t do it so they were unemployed. They’re on welfare.
    After: Find a teacher, quick. Learn how to play some blues. Get him some Charlie Parker records. I’m around if he doesn’t understand what I’m saying, he can come anywhere I’m playing and I’ll show him. Fortunately, as old as I am I still can play just about as well as I always did. I might break down tomorrow but today I’m alright."

User Info Menu

Lou had some great comments on modern jazz. Outside jazz? It should be played outside the jazz club.

User Info Menu

BTW: The quality of DB magazine may have declined but the digital editions of DB are downloadable since the September 2008 edition as PDFs at

DownBeat | Digital Edition | Archive