The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Thankfully the American entertainment industry has come a long way since 1983.

Please let's keep politics out of this thread. Afterall, I'm pretty certain that no member of this forum would find David Bowie's position controversial.

User Info Menu

Mark Goodman handled that perfectly. I think Bowie thought he was a going to zing him, (meaning MTV really). But Goodman's response was well thought out and considerate, not argumentative.

And to Bowie's credit, he (apparently) "agreed to disagree" (again, really with MTV not Goodman), something this world could use a whole lot more of right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Thankfully the American entertainment industry has come a long way since 1983.

Please let's keep politics out of this thread. Afterall, I'm pretty certain that no member of this forum would find David Bowie's position controversial.
    Nor Goodman's. It was a civl conversation between reasonable people. Let's bring THAT back.

I don't think David Bowie's position is even political. I didn't grow up in England but it is my understanding that he was part of a generation of British people who grew up listening to African-American music on their local/national radio stations. Many African-American musicians (including Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix etc) were filling big venues in England in the 50's and 60's before the white American listeners knew about them because of the way the US music industry was segregated. Black American musicians were also the heroes of all the British invasion bands.

So it must have been very puzzling for an English person to come to America in 1983 and find out that they can only get a very limited access to black-American music on the mainstream radio and TV channels.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 10-12-2022 at 06:14 PM.

User Info Menu

David Bowie...Mark Goodman...MTV...

I love David Bowie, not ashamed to admit it. He was possibly the most thoughtful and articulate rock artist to ever sing into a microphone. And it goes without saying an artistic genius.

More importantly, he was so SELF AWARE of what he was and what he was doing.

I listened to the album Nothing Has Changed the other day--his career in reverse. His last music was as energetic and challenging and experimental as anything he put on record.