The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The best singer I have ever played with was a woman who wanted to be part of the band. She could sight read music, she studied jazz and understood the relationship between melody and chords, she did not want to be the center of attention and she had a great voice. She was smart, accomplished in her vocation as well as her avocation, and really easy to get along with. A fine person. I am very sad to note that, unfortunately, she developed a severe health issue and passed away. That was probably 10 years ago now.

Good singers really are not different than good musicians in general. They know the song thoroughly, they have some knowledge of its history, and are able to bring that together and present something unique and personal to themselves. Maybe if there is an internet jazz singing forum somewhere, they're complaining about guitarists like we complain about vocalists.
    No, female vocalists are a different breed entirely. I've worked with too many for my research to be invalidated by one exception to the rule.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Here’s a meme I found that may seem appropriate. Please note that gender is not mentioned:
    Traumatizing Experience - Selling Off Guitars?-e53e2f46-9a3c-4a70-8219-319add178bf7-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Here’s a meme I found that may seem appropriate. Please note that gender is not mentioned:
    Traumatizing Experience - Selling Off Guitars?-e53e2f46-9a3c-4a70-8219-319add178bf7-jpeg
    Something like this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    All Keys Matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Something like this?

I am glad I wasn't drinking coffee while watching this!

User Info Menu

Sounds like the impetuousness of youth meets get-off-my-lawn. We weren't there, of course, but clearly the vibe wasn't working.

Though I've played for a long time, I don't have nearly the gigging experience, and I'm no bandleader. I have had experiences where things just didn't fit, whether it was the kind of music or the level of the musicians. It can be depressing and frustrating, and it calls into question what you're doing with it all.

The thing I want to say is, don't give so much power to that person, or experience. You're above and beyond that, you don't have to sell guitars or make any other decisions based on it. Be true to what has worked for you musically and got you where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    Sounds like the impetuousness of youth meets get-off-my-lawn. We weren't there, of course, but clearly the vibe wasn't working.

Though I've played for a long time, I don't have nearly the gigging experience, and I'm no bandleader. I have had experiences where things just didn't fit, whether it was the kind of music or the level of the musicians. It can be depressing and frustrating, and it calls into question what you're doing with it all.

The thing I want to say is, don't give so much power to that person, or experience. You're above and beyond that, you don't have to sell guitars or make any other decisions based on it. Be true to what has worked for you musically and got you where you are.
    I shouldn't have combined the two subjects. In all candor, I have been thinking about selling off a few guitars anyway. As I have entered the "Get off my lawn!" stage in my life, I have become more pragmatic in my guitar wants vs needs. For example, the Epiphone and Ibanez pictured in my first post are virtually similar in sound; at least for my needs. I will be keeping the Ibanez and selling the Epiphone. Both are great guitars, but I have to give the Ibanez the edge because of the bridge pickup (added tonal versatility) and the cutaway. There are differences, but they are not enough to keep both, I will be reducing my collection to save my wife the task of liquidating my axes upon my demise.