The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Bought a new (to me) Washburn J600, it's on the way. I'm guessing it's about ten years old.

Yah, I know the story with these, cheap pots. I'll live with it for a while and see what I think. If it needs better quality pots I'll put some in. I'll put on a Earvana compensated nut, I do that with any guitar I own and also maybe a new bridge. Sorry....... not a Sadowsky, or Comins, etc. So no guitar pr0n pix. I wish I could afford one.

Just a low end jazz box. But dang, I gotta say Washburn makes / made some nice looking guitars. at least I think so. I'll do what I can to make sure it sounds good too.

I dig Peter Bernstein's guitar and wanted something that kinda looks like that. One p/u "minimalist" type axe.
    (Yeah, I know the real thing is un-obtanium) This is maybe 20x cheeper, lol.

NGD - Washburn J600-tno4j3tlwfnqi0zqqd3v-jpgNGD - Washburn J600-u2vylazx6az73x6adino-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats !
    It's nice to read and see some affordable NGDs too
    Thanks for sharing

User Info Menu

I always thought these looked cool. Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Nice guitar. Congrats.

I've got a J-10 Orleans. Beautiful guitar that just sings. I put on a Kent Armstrong pickup and a Benedetto style tailpiece.
    I like it better than some high end guitars I've owned.
    NGD - Washburn J600-dsc07848-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Nice guitar. Congrats.

I've got a J-10 Orleans. Beautiful guitar that just sings. I put on a Kent Armstrong pickup and a Benedetto style tailpiece.
    I like it better than some high end guitars I've owned.
    NGD - Washburn J600-dsc07848-jpg

That's pretty!

Bit of a quibble on my guitar and yours..... if Washburn would only put that little L-5 style "nipple" at the end of the fingerboard like on their J6 Montgomery (2p/u), I'd be in jazz box heaven, lol.

I'm liking that Benedetto style tail piece, I'll have to see about buying one.

User Info Menu

As my old buddy from south Philly used to say, Meenkia!
    FINALLY got it today.

As advertized, no real gripes, other than it it took so long to get here it must have been transported on the back of a mule. Thank you FEDEX for not breaking it or getting it stolen. I appreciate it.

Output jack i
    s loose, has bright sounding light gauge round-wound strings on it. After new 12 - 50 flats put on, it needz a set-up / adjustment. Easy fixes.

The p/u: bass side is too close, treble side too low, it's one of those "floating" types(?) attached on the bottom to a metal plate and the pickguard ...... and (as far as I know) not adjustable? Need to get in there and see what I can do.

I have fat finger
    s, compared to my Ibanez it feels like I have more real estate between frets. Frets are good, maybe not played much. Nice feeling neck. I don't have any cork-sniffer adjectives ;-) but in comparison it does feel better.

Feel
    s like a substantial well made guitar. I think it was made in Korea, I'm happy with it, it's gonna clean up nice! Haven't plugged it in yet gonna wait until I have it set-up right.
    Last edited by ChazFromCali; 10-22-2022 at 08:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats! Another Earvana nut freak. I use them, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Congrats! Another Earvana nut freak. I use them, too.
    Yup.
    I hear the difference.
    There's no "avoid" stuff going on, I love hitting a chord and it's so in tune it's..... orgasmic, lolol. Well OK, not that good. But it makes me happy.

User Info Menu

This guitar has a 25.5 neck scale. Which I prefer, having played Fender's for 40 plus years. My Ibanez AF95 is 24.75..... (actually 24.724)
    Was curious, I looked up the specs on the Washburn, gathered some info.

Washburn J-600 specs

Model: J600
    Series: Jazz
    Category: Hollow Body/Semi Hollow Body Electric Guitars

2011 to ?
    List Price = $1,247.90 USD
    (Can be bought for $500 to $600 now)

Flame Maple body
    Spruce top
    Vintage Matte finish
    Venetian cutaway

Rosewood fingerboard
    Distressed brass Hardware
    Ebony tailpiece, bridge & pickguard
    Bound F holes

1 floating mini-humbucker pickup
    Ebony Volume & tone controls
    MOP block inlays
    Distressed brass Grover 18:1 tuners with Ebonite buttons

Nut width: 43mm / 1-11/16th's - Graphtech Nubone
    25.5" scale
    20 frets
    Neck joint: Set neck

Radius: 12”
    Fret wire: Stainless steel - (I'm not sure about this, doesn't look like it to me)

Case: GC78 included*
    *USA only. Not available in every part of the world, check with your local distributor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    I'm liking that Benedetto style tail piece, I'll have to see about buying one.
    It had a metal 175-style tailpiece originally. I replaced that and the pickup, and added a tone pot under the pickguard.

It's hard to tell for sure since I had it done all at once, but I think the tailpiece warmed up the sound somewhat. It's a subtle difference though.