The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

I'm always amazed at the level of stupidity on continuous display around the world. Bunch of guys kicking a ball back and forth across a field. WTF is so wrong with so many people?
    Indonesia stadium tragedy: At least 125 people dead following soccer match fan crush | CNN

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

People are ridiculous. They're worse than children. I'm just accepting it. You want to have your conduct good and try to be decent to people, but I'm done with thinking things are going to go well with other people. They're basically a bunch of corrupt personal gain monkeys with some ok people thrown in.

Honestly, if I felt that my happiness and self worth was so strongly tied to how a sports team from a particular area performed I would kill myself without hesitation. Just being on the planet and breathing isn't enough by itself for me. If I really had nothing to live for, from within myself, to challenge and better myself, I swear I would put out the lights.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the old, "Beam me up, Scotty, there is no intelligent life down here."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Honestly, if I felt that my happiness and self worth was so strongly tied to how a sports team from a particular area performed I would kill myself without hesitation. Just being on the planet and breathing isn't enough by itself for me. If I really had nothing to live for, from within myself, to challenge and better myself, I swear I would put out the lights.
    Obviously you're not a Buffalo Bills fan.

User Info Menu

NPR reported this AM that police deployed tear gas to break up the riot. Panic did the rest. Stupid all the way around.
    Tragic, nonetheless.

User Info Menu

I was fly fishing the steelhead run in Northern Michigan and after a disappointing day of fishing, I stopped at a little country store for a bad cup of coffee. Before leaving, I saw a sign for sale, among other curios, with a picture of a hog and the following words" "Never Try to Teach a Pig to Sing . . . It's a Waste of Time and Annoys the Pig." That sign hung in my office for over 30 years and a day never went by that its wisdom didn't prove true.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I was raised with the concept that I should participate in the things that I was interested in instead of watching other people do them. If I were interested in baseball, then I should be out there playing the game. If I were to watch others play, it would be to learn something about what the players are doing, rather than doing so just passively. Since I was simply not built for sports, my interest went to music and I have always participated in that. This seems perfectly logical to me, but for avid sports fans, this seems completely strange.

I do attend live music events, but in keeping with the philosophy I was raised with, I tend to go to house concerts, or small venues in which I can meet the performing artist(s) and often attend a workshop given by the artist either earlier that day or the next day. I have never cared for large venue concerts, especially those that are so large that you only see the performers on a monitor because you are too far from the stage and then after the show, the artist gets into a limo or helicopter and whisked away.

There are people I have worked with whose week would be ruined if their favorite sports team lost their game that weekend. Such people would often be in a foul mood the entire week. None of these individuals I knew and worked with actually played the game themselves. The players didn't know or care one whit about these individuals, and these individuals so affected by the loss, probably wouldn't earn in a lifetime what these players earned in even one contract. This seems perfectly logical to avid sports fans, but to me this seems completely strange.

Kids who are directly involved in actually playing the sport and attend sport camps in the summer are a way to get personally involved and give the kids something positive to do with their time, and maybe they continue that involvement later in life through coaching local kids teams and such. That would make sense to me - being involved. But the general fan craziness such as being discussed in this thread, is a whole other world that makes no sense at all.

Tony

User Info Menu

Darwinism seems to be an immutable law of our existence here on Earth.

The strong survive and the weak perish.

Be strong.

User Info Menu

Human; all too human.

User Info Menu

There's a lot things I could say re: humanoids in general, not many of them, kind.

On a website like this, (and other music or arts sites as well) I've come to realize you have a concentration of people who are "INTJ's" or similar. Are you familiar with the Myer's - Briggs personality inventory / test? Myers-Briggs Type Indicator: The 16 Personality Types

INTJ's are supposedly only 4% of the general population, but like I said there will be a concentration of similar types on sites like this. .......and we tend to forget, a large part of the remainder of the general population is to put it colloquially, "from nowhere."

Not trynna stroke anyone, or earn Brownie points, but it's pretty close to the truth.
    Last edited by ChazFromCali; 10-03-2022 at 09:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    There's a lot things I could say. Re: humanoids in general, not many of them, kind.

On a website like this, (and other music or arts sites as well) I've come to realize you have a concentration of people who are "INTJ's" or similar. Are you familiar with the Myer's - Briggs personality inventory / test? Myers-Briggs Type Indicator: The 16 Personality Types

INTJ's are supposedly only 4% of the general population, but like I said there will be a concentration of similar types on sites like this. .......and we tend to forget, a large part of the remainder of the general population is to put it colloquially, "from nowhere."

Not trynna stroke anyone, or earn Brownie points, but it's pretty close to the truth.
    Interesting. I'm ISTJ. The logistician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Interesting. I'm ISTJ. The logistician.
    I am ENTJ. I guess that is why I am often the bandleader.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and annoys the pig.
    This is my new motto.

User Info Menu

“All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
    — Blaise Pascal

I agree.

As regards to Myers-Briggs, I usually test INTP, “The Thinker” - I can sit in a room alone with a guitar or a book and never cause a problem for another soul.

“Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy.”
    — Robert Fripp

Again, me, totally.

However, I am skeptical about any “scientific” method of evaluating human personality and behavior - it’s all a money making scam as far as I see it. Same with “generations”.

I’ve been watching The Dick Van Dyke Show from the beginning on Roku. It’s startling how many references to Freudian psychology and psychotherapy there are in the show (early 1960s). Everyone is trying to analyze everyone else - the deep hidden secrets controlling their essentially harmless foibles. It’s kind of embarrassing that people believed that. And now, everything is brain chemicals and if we can adjust your meds you will behave “normally”.

We’re animals. We’re angels. We can be the most caring beings on the planet and the most cruel and brutal beasts in world history. That’s just the way it is.

My takeaway: stay away from soccer matches. And crowds. Play more guitar. Find another Trollope novel…
    Last edited by maxsmith; 10-04-2022 at 12:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith
    “All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
    — Blaise Pascal

I agree.

As regards to Myers-Briggs, I usually test INTP, “The Thinker” - I can sit in a room alone with a guitar or a book and never cause a problem for another soul.

— Robert Fripp

Again, me, totally.

However, I am skeptical about any “scientific” method of evaluating human personality and behavior - it’s all a money making scam as far as I see it. Same with “generations”.

I’ve been watching The Dick Van Dyke Show from the beginning on Roku. It’s startling how many references to Freudian psychology and psychotherapy there are in the show (early 1960s). Everyone is trying to analyze everyone else - the deep hidden secrets controlling their essentially harmless foibles. It’s kind of embarrassing that people believed that. And now, everything is brain chemicals and if we can adjust your meds you will behave “normally”.

We’re animals. We’re angels. We can be the most caring beings on the planet and the most cruel and brutal beasts in world history. That’s just the way it is.

My takeaway: stay away from soccer matches. And crowds. Play more guitar. Find another Trollope novel…
    Better living through chemistry. We today are a product of the 1960s (of course if you remember that time, you probably weren't there).

Tony

User Info Menu

— Blaise Pascal

I agree.

— Robert Fripp

Again, me, totally.

INTP here, agree 100%. A good book, a freshly re-strung guitar, some delicious silence - the blank canvas of possibility - and I'm set.

Oh yeah! And some chocolate: dark, smooth, delicious.

User Info Menu

— Blaise Pascal […]
    It gets interesting when you sit quietly alone in a room without a book or a guitar …

I guess that’s rather what he was talking about.

User Info Menu

People would rather be electrically shocked than left alone with their thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    It gets interesting when you sit quietly alone in a room without a book or a guitar …

I guess that’s rather what he was talking about.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

“Thought itself is a distraction.”

User Info Menu

People are not stupid. Young men are stupid.

User Info Menu

Young men are the worst but society is still pretty rough. I work at walmart so I get a pretty thorough cross section of society and the monkey-ness comes from all angles lol.

User Info Menu

...because their thoughts, should people become aware of them, would be far more shocking.

Tony

User Info Menu

"However, I am skeptical about any “scientific” method of evaluating human personality and behavior - it’s all a money making scam as far as I see it. Same with “generations”." MaxSmith

Hi, M,
    Psychology is not a Science. It is a Social Science and has done great harm to many human beings across the planet, especially under the Pseudo-Science of Freud in the 20th Century and the ghastly experiments performed on human beings under his name and influence. Psychiatry has an added level of Science requiring a medical degree but, for me, they are the 21st Century's equivalent to "witch doctors" controlling human behavior, largely, through drugs as witnessed in their treatment of Dementia, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, etc. There are some human beings on this planet that have been hard-wired differently from the Herd. And, to try to use conventional Science in evaluating them will only lead to disaster. I had a good friend, who has since passed, that was a very talented visual artist and a profound thinker. However, he was anti-social and rarely got along with the Herd. He was one of the few people I've known who rarely left his house and when he was working on a project, he rarely spoke to others. Fortunately, his wife was also intelligent and supportive but I've always wondered if he were married to a different type of woman, how long would it be before she asked him to go for a psychiatric evaluation or, simply, file for divorce? And, for the readers among us, how many writers, poets, painters, sculptors, and musicians throughout History, who have been deemed "mad," were just hard-wired differently as they produced some of the most gifted and profound creations of Man? People Are So Stupid. Yes, and for those with a brain . . . we must find a way to live with them.
    Marinero