The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Does the Internet educate new jazz listeners?
    How old are the audience-audience brought up at real jazz music concerts?
    It seems that jazz music is more and more an art only for musicians.
    I have concerns about what will happen with jazz ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The new listeners will find an awful lot of videos on Internet. They can search for jazz guitarists and find historic footage of the greats and film of contemporary masters in concert. They can find a lot of advice on how to play. If they hear a song, they can find information about it. They can join a jazz guitar forum and ask questions about the future of jazz.

In those respects, jazz is more accessible than ever before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The new listeners will find an awful lot of videos on Internet. […]
    In one of his books German jazz guitarist Werner Pöhlert tells the story of him and his pals after WW2 going to American movies where a band was playing in the background several times to find out how certain chord grips were done.

Nowadays Matt Warnock and Jens Larsen will show you how to do it on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Looking at the number of views this is not a revelation.
    Besides, the numbers are also misleading.Even musicians with big names have a small number of views.
    BAD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    In one of his books German jazz guitarist Werner Pöhlert tells the story of him and his pals after WW2 going to American movies where a band was playing in the background several times to find out how certain chord grips were done.

Nowadays Matt Warnock and Jens Larsen will show you how to do it on YouTube.
    So what if music dilettantes come to a jam session?

User Info Menu

The desire to be on stage is more than skill - it's a reality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    So what if music dilettantes come to a jam session?
    Same as ever - roast them and thus they will learn! Cherokee at 320! Shout at them if they play autumn leaves in the wrong key. That’ll learn em. Keep those gates. Police those shibboleths.

Seriously jam sessions tread a fine line between positive learning environments and places where people feel entitled to indulge themselves. Successful jams project an ethos. It’s hard to do well!

User Info Menu

I've been in some great jam sessions ... but that's history.

User Info Menu

just show up;

User Info Menu

That was... weird. I've run into a bit of that Sigma crap, and not just on the internet. Mind virus.

User Info Menu

The internet has made music free, phone scrolling an excellent alternative to going out with friends (possibly to a live music show), endless time-consuming material available on computer screens, etc.. I think it has severely harmed musicians. The new, internet based type of musician, where they play by themselves in their room, and there is no interaction and sharing with people.. I don't think real music works that way, i don't get the appeal. It's like everything i love about playing music is absent.

Don't think the internet is the best way to learn to play music either, because there is no interaction, so the student is on their own, without someone to correct mistakes, comment, and give direction.

User Info Menu

This is, in short, an internet trap.

User Info Menu

Last week, I saw Emma-Jean Thackray and her combo play at an Auckland venue, The Tuning Fork. I was on the guest list, because I had volunteered to review the gig for The 13th Floor, a local music site. I knew of Thackray, an English jazz musician, because someone on a forum had recommended her as a rising talent. I learned about her on her website, and found she had been a student of Keith Tippett. I listened to her music on her Bandcamp page and saw her perform on various websites.

A lot of people turned out on a Monday night to see Thackray perform. I guess they heard and learned about her on Internet, as I did.

User Info Menu

Last week, I saw Emma-Jean Thackray and her combo play at an Auckland venue, The Tuning Fork. I was on the guest list, because I had volunteered to review the gig for The 13th Floor, a local music site. I knew of Thackray, an English jazz musician, because someone on a forum had recommended her as a rising talent. I learned about her on her website, and found she had been a student of Keith Tippett. I listened to her music on her Bandcamp page and saw her perform on various websites.

A lot of people turned out on a Monday night to see Thackray perform. I guess they heard and learned about her on Internet, as I did.

Good for her ... but that doesn't mean anything.
    A brilliant jazz trumpet player from the USA was supposed to perform elsewhere on earth, not far from me.
    The concert was canceled due to lack of interest.
    I will not write the name of the musician but he was definitely a bigger jazz star than Emma ...
    Why didn't the internet work?

User Info Menu

False equivalence.

User Info Menu

False equivalence.
    This is life.

User Info Menu

Good for her ... but that doesn't mean anything.
    A brilliant jazz trumpet player from the USA was supposed to perform elsewhere on earth, not far from me.
    The concert was canceled due to lack of interest.
    I will not write the name of the musician but he was definitely a bigger jazz star than Emma ...
    Why didn't the internet work?
    well the day we see jazz as a zero sum game is the day we might as well give up.

i would suggest this is really a silly post as artists such as Emma seem to be appealing outside the core jazz audience, and while some will no doubt see this as some unspeakable betrayal, I see it as a good thing.

I like her music and (quite separately) there’s also a tremendous amount of jazz in it. No doubt some will not like it as it’s not spangalang ride cymbal and jazz standards, in which case I would say why not support the many old and young players who are doing just that? How about Emmet who’s done more than anyone to carve a space out for top level straightahead jazz on the web?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    well the day we see jazz as a zero sum game is the day we might as well give up.

i would suggest this is really a silly post as artists such as Emma seem to be appealing outside the core jazz audience, and while some will no doubt see this as some unspeakable betrayal, I see it as a good thing.

I like her music and (quite separately) there’s also a tremendous amount of jazz in it. No doubt some will not like it as it’s not spangalang ride cymbal and jazz standards, in which case I would say why not support the many old and young players who are doing just that? How about Emmet who’s done more than anyone to carve a space out for top level straightahead jazz on the web?
    I'm not interested.
    I'm an old fart brought up on real jazz, and all these news are just experiments for me/ surely interesting / that the audience loves.
    I don't follow what the young are doing because I haven't gotten to know the old ones well yet.

User Info Menu

I like this stuff: old wine & young wine...haha

User Info Menu

It's a good thing she can't dance like Cass Elliot. She'd be a boss.
    I like her music. I would stick around and listen. She's kind of funky.

Is it jazz? Who cares.

I'm American and I like both kinds of music. Gangster rap and Mumble rap.

User Info Menu

It is not a problem who likes what.I think.
    If I had a dilemma what concert to go to, I would probably stay at home and listen to the radio broadcast.

User Info Menu

I'm not interested.
    I'm an old fart brought up on real jazz, and all these news are just experiments for me/ surely interesting / that the audience loves.
    I don't follow what the young are doing because I haven't gotten to know the old ones well yet.
    real jazz died with Buddy Bolden. It now exists only in the imagination of Wynton Marsalis and must be reconstructed from his scat singing on HBO documentaries. FACT.

User Info Menu

So normal people don't like jazz.

User Info Menu

So normal people don't like jazz.
    The vast majority of abnormal people don't like it either. Thank goodness for plants. I keep them around my practice area because they're a captive audience.
    One thing I've found in common with many other professional players and teachers, young internet bred players can acquire monster proficiency and chops skills but really struggle with creating statements, developing solos and leaving space; all things that can be argued are more important when playing with other seasoned players in live situations.
    Joe Lovano was conducting a master class at the local school here. Top horn players in the school. He asked students to play something that just felt good, make a statement. He couldn't get a single taker. A lot of blank faces who reflected the YouTube dynamic of "Here's how to play this" and not the living dynamic of "What is the YOU in your playing?".

There's been a marked drop in perceived originality from players who've been brought up on the internet. Just about all the teachers I've known have really noticed this. They can tell the videos a student has watched and the lines are pretty clear that the ability to synthesize a self expression is not a priority.
    Internet really elevates an artist to "unapproachable" godlike status and perhaps in insidious belief that the best a student can do is imitate. And there's nobody there to dissuade this attitude.

My plants don't judge and for the most part, they like my choices; or they don't disapprove anyway :-)

User Info Menu

real jazz died with Buddy Bolden. It now exists only in the imagination of Wynton Marsalis and must be reconstructed from his scat singing on HBO documentaries. FACT.
    I'll take your word for it. NOLA is it's own thing. Younger guys like Wynton and Nick Payton wanted to play in funk bands but gigs dies up overnight. Jazz was definitely Nick's 2nd choice.
    I think it's hilarious the way Nick mocks 'younger' boomers like me. People that are roughly in their mid 60's now.
    The Jeri curled crooner. Girly men.

Well, yeah. It was vacation music. I met a lot of women on vacation.
    I was famous for a while and then I wasn't famous anymore.

Just don't cry in front of the Mexicans;

Grow a pair.