The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought the Samba Pack which was on sale for $27.

This is seven video lessons (audio too) covering all the usual rhythm section instruments with six transcriptions.

Three combo lessons have the players demonstrate together and individually. They also explain what they're doing.

Open Studio seems to get very good people. On the Samba lessions were Paulo Paulelli (bass), Romero Lubambo (guitar), Edu Ribeiro (drums) and Helio Alves (keys). These four were not in the same combo. The other players were people I didn't know, but played great. Edu and Paulo have Grammy awards. Romero is incredible - I just heard him play a show with Chico Pinheiro that was way better than I thought two guitars could possibly be. Helio has played with everybody and is on a lot of albums in my collection. I didn't look up the other guys in the videos, but they are clearly heavyweights.

I'm not sure if all the music is transcribed, but there's enough that you can see what's going on.

None of it is about soloing. It's all about groove in a band.

Some of the videos allude to other lessons which was a little disconcerting since those lessons aren't included in the pack I bought.

Overall, I think these guys are trying to earn their fees by putting out good quality educational materials.

If you take the plunge listen to the demo at the beginning of the Fast Samba lesson and then listen to the other combo playing One Note Samba. The latter is a high quality conventional approach. But, the Fast Samba combo is in outer space (a high compliment) to my ear. That one is the modern approach, or so I think. So, I feel pretty good about the purchase.

Financial disclosure: I paid full freight. I have no financial interest in Open Samba. I do know, slightly, some of the musicians who are teaching for Open Samba.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 09-16-2022 at 03:02 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really like them. I like participating on their live podcasts. They're all great players and have great, accurate material that is taught well. I would do open studio pro where you get the full experience but I'm already doing private lessons and I can't justify the expense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I really like them. I like participating on their live podcasts. They're all great players and have great, accurate material that is taught well. I would do open studio pro where you get the full experience but I'm already doing private lessons and I can't justify the expense.
    Yeah, great stuff and they start to gather some real heavy-weights like bassist Christian McBride, there was a Zoom Masterclass with Ron Carter etc. etc. (speaking of the free material on YouTube only).

Regarding the Brazil stuff I haven’t much looked into it yet much but what I saw seemed like a great source to learn the authentic Brazilian feel from some great players.

User Info Menu

I like to play the "you'll hear it" podcasts while I'm working. It's comforting to hear two people who truly love music break down things.