Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Love your new guitar, C!
    Marinero
    You're not the only one!

This thing eats gigs for breakfast ;-)

User Info Menu

I never practice, I just play stuff... many times, it has to be said.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I never practice, I just play stuff... many times, it has to be said.
    It can be heard in every recording you make.This is ridiculous.!
    Musicians who went to music schools had to take lessons and pass exams ... systematic practise is for all life.
    Ear training, technical exercises and playing in front of an audience-it is just a drop in the sea.

User Info Menu

Maybe the question should be asked why
    to practice and not how to practice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Maybe the question should be asked why
    to practice and not how to practice?
    cos it’s weirdly fun (at least for me)

User Info Menu

You mention watching paint drying...
    I always think of this; Pebber Brown (guitar teacher of Buckethead!) practice & delightful rant video.
    Last edited by pauln; 09-09-2022 at 01:47 AM.

User Info Menu

If someone thinks he will play jazz without practicing, he is cheating himself.The poor listener must listen to the questionable quality of the product.

User Info Menu

If someone thinks he will play jazz without practicing, he is cheating himself.The poor listener must listen to the questionable quality of the product.
    One can simply not click 'play', of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    One can simply not click 'play', of course.
    In virtual reality, yes.Luckily.

User Info Menu

I often wonder what is it like?
    Some practise for hours and do not progress, while others practise less and make progress ...

User Info Menu

I often wonder what is it like?
    Some practise for hours and do not progress, while others practise less and make progress ...
    Hi, K,
    You are an experienced musician with untold hours of practice and performance. And, I've always thought of musicians, like us, as mountain climbers whose goal is to reach the summit but rather, in reality, we move from one plateau to the next. There is no question that there are individual human differences but that's a function of our ego which, at times, can be very counter-productive to growth. Whenever I hit a plateau in the past, I take some time away from my instrument and do something else as a diversion. In a former life as a "working musician"(that's funny!), I practiced two hours in the morning, two hours in the afternoon, and gigged 6 nights a week: 9-12 p.m. I also was studying arranging/composition at the Chicago Conservatory of Music. I hit severe burnout and aside from our nightly gigs, I didn't play my sax for over two weeks. Then, one day, I unpacked my horn and blew scales/chords/inversions all afternoon. It was like an epiphany. I was back.
    Marinero