The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know the name of this song at about 0.57 into this film. It sounds like it could be a children's song or folk song. It's played as a fast jazz waltz.
    It might be the composer's original tune, but people I've played it for say it sounds familiar.
    TIA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Sgcim, it sounds very like a musical quotation from the old nursery rhyme, 'Girls and Boys Come Out to Play'. It's still frequently heard as one of the mechanical bell-chimes played by mobile ice-cream vans in England and the song also has its own Wikipedia page, here:

'Girls and Boys Come Out to Play (nursery rhyme)

All the best, Mick W

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Wright
    Hi Sgcim, it sounds very like a musical quotation from the old nursery rhyme, 'Girls and Boys Come Out to Play'. It's still frequently heard as one of the mechanical bell-chimes played by mobile ice-cream vans in England and the song also has its own Wikipedia page, here:

'Girls and Boys Come Out to Play (nursery rhyme)

All the best, Mick W
    Thank You,Thank You, Thank You, Mick!!!!!!!!
    I just wrote a 20 page jazz big band arrangement on that little tune that I had heard when I watched that crazy Freddie Francis movie back in the 80s when it first came out on video. Ebbinghouse (the film composer who arranged it) turned out to be a German composer who came to England, where he started his own jazz band, and made a few records.
    Thanks to you, I finally have a title for it. If we ever record it, I'll send you my derangement of it.
    Thanks again!!!

User Info Menu

You're very welcome, sgcim, it's no trouble at all!

I was curious about Bernard Ebbinghouse too, after I heard the opening minutes of his movie soundtrack. IMDB has a list of his film work and I see some of his library & film music is on YouTube.

You've picked a venerable old melody to arrange. Apparently it's traceable back to the start of the 18th century but it may be older. There's a lute piece from around 1615 called Dreweries Accords that it reminds me of: 'Dreweries' imitates the pealing of London church-bells and, perhaps, there's also a hint of a peal of bells in the descending phrases of 'Girls and Boys...'

All the best
    Mick W

User Info Menu

Yes, I think it’s “Boys and girls come ou to play”. But also it made me think of “Pop goes the weasel”.

User Info Menu

Yes, that crossed my mind as well — perhaps there's a tune family connection.

There's a fascinating Wiki page, with a score, for this one as well:

Pop goes the Weasel

all the best,
    Mick