The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

i love this ..i imagine Rob Mackillop might too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I doubt I could ever achieve any kind of proficiency with my limited practice time...but man, I'd love an accordion.

User Info Menu

Hmmmmmm . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images Concertina or Accordian-blow-up-doll-jpg 

User Info Menu

Tone on the recording is surprisingly good but what is happening with the left hand??? It definitely isn't playing all the rhythm section sounds in the video.

Think I'll stick with the tactile experience of interacting with a heavier instrument though.

User Info Menu

What the accordion can teach you about music, with the ever-delightful Nahre Sol and the virtouso Cory Pesaturo

User Info Menu

My nephew just got an accordion. He is a high school senior. He plays trombone, banjo and is picking up the accordion, and his brother plays balalaika. They decided they like non-traditional instruments, and there is actually an informal club they call the UTI Club--UnTraditional Instrument Club.

He is surprisingly good for having had it only a couple of months, and he doesn't even play piano.

wont be long before someone posts Donna Lee on one..lets stick to Jigs,Sea Shanties...Scottish Reels or Irish...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    i love this ..i imagine Rob Mackillop might too.
    Er…no…I hate it. Why? I grew up with that sound, mainly through Jimmy Shand, arguably the finest player of his day and my youth. Every party by my parents and their extended families would feature suffocating aunties pulling me up to dance with them, and lots of formation dances. And bad early school memories of having to dance to this stuff with insufferable girls! Those girls grew into sufferable teenagers, but back then they were insufferable little prigs. The soundtrack to my wasted pre-teen youth! My dad even had a big accordion for a year or two. There was no escape! And now it’s on iPad…how convenient! Arrgghh! no sleep tonight…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    wont be long before someone posts Donna Lee on one.. […]
    Not Donna Lee but Cherokee

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Er…no…I hate it. Why? I grew up with that sound, mainly through Jimmy Shand, arguably the finest player of his day and my youth. Every party by my parents and their extended families would feature suffocating aunties pulling me up to dance with them, and lots of formation dances. And bad early school memories of having to dance to this stuff with insufferable girls! Those girls grew into sufferable teenagers, but back then they were insufferable little prigs. The soundtrack to my wasted pre-teen youth! My dad even had a big accordion for a year or two. There was no escape! And now it’s on iPad…how convenient! Arrgghh! no sleep tonight…
    For you dear Rob.

hahaha Rob..

User Info Menu

There is even a group called The Jimi Shandrix Experience…true. Not as exciting as the name suggests.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Ry's little stretch of records in this style are some of my favorite music, ever.

User Info Menu

A couple of years ago, I wanted to buy an accordion. I wanted a piano accordion, so instead of that I bought a cheap melodica than a real one.
    In France we've got the tradition of C button accordion and we are used to hearing accordion. I was used to I may say, we don't see accordion anymore on TV.

I discovered American and Brazilian traditions on accordion.
    Diatonic and chromatic ones, it's very interesting.

I was interested in Bandoneón too and thought about a Concertina.
    Now I don't know, I like the diatonic accordion sound.
    Do you know this guy ?

User Info Menu

I've got a worse guilty pleasure ... a few LPs I dug out of my parents' collection of James Last and His Orchestra. They're actually pretty fun to listen to from time to time (and imagine that apparently Germans *can* have a sense of humor )

Way back when I was in a music initiation class with a bunch of other 7 yos piping away on soprano recorders, the teacher often accompanied us on a big accordeon. I liked that so much I wanted to pick it as my "real" instrument after that initial year. My mom didn't want, officially because "she'd have to schlepp that big suitcase on the back of her bike cycling to the next town over" where the musicschool was, but I think that there was also some prejudice about "the people who play that kind of music" going on. Which would be somewhat strange because French chansons were a staple at home.

I've always wondered how people could play anything on those huge arrays of buttons, but after picking up 1 or 2 of those tablet apps I realised they're laid out pretty cleverly.

User Info Menu

Wix Wickens, the accordionist on This is the Day, was a schoolfriend of Douglas Adams, and played at his memorial service. Wickens has been keyboardist in Paul McCartney's band since 1989.

User Info Menu

I love the sound of the accordion, especially players like Ludovic Beier who is often playing with the best Gypsy artists in the world.

User Info Menu

I caught Beier with Dorado Schmitt's band in Minneapolis a decade or so ago, and after the show I asked him if I was hearing correctly, what sounded like bent notes--sort of like what you can get by overblowing on a harmonica. He said that his accordion was modified with buttons that allowed that effect. Nice guy, and a hell of a player.

I love the sound of free-reed instruments--including bagpipes--and have sections of my music library just for them. (Then there's chromatic harmonica. . . .)

User Info Menu

I saw Jack Emblow a couple of times with Martin Taylor’s ‘Spirit of Django’ band at Ronnie Scotts, he made it swing for sure.

User Info Menu

Just wanted to jump in and say that it's definitely a tough choice between the concertina and the accordion. Right now, though, I find myself leaning towards the concertina. I have this huge love for Irish music, and the concertina just captures the essence of it so beautifully. It's such a joy to play those traditional tunes on this instrument. By the way, if you're looking to explore more with concertinas or accordions, you should check out the irish music shop. They usually have a fantastic selection of both instruments. Who knows, you might stumble upon your perfect match there!
    Last edited by JacobMauer; 07-10-2023 at 06:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Does no one remember who brought us the Polytone? It was Tommy Gumina, an accordionist you all need to know. He and Buddy DeFranco had a wonderful quartet for years - I have their vinyl. And here’s a cool album with DeFranco, Gumina, and Joe Pass. I’m not wild about Gumina’s use of the “Polycorus”, whatever that is - I assume it’s an electronic accordion gizmo from the sounds on this album. But there’s some great jazz in Gumina’s accordion.

EDIT: The “Polycorus” must be the EH PolyChorus pedal misspelled.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Does no one remember who brought us the Polytone? It was Tommy Gumina, an accordionist you all need to know. He and Buddy DeFranco had a wonderful quartet for years - I have their vinyl. And here’s a cool album with DeFranco, Gumina, and Joe Pass. I’m not wild about Gumina’s use of the “Polycorus”, whatever that is - I assume it’s an electronic accordion gizmo from the sounds on this album. But there’s some great jazz in Gumina’s accordion.

EDIT: The “Polycorus” must be the EH PolyChorus pedal misspelled.
    It might be something with this technology.
    The album is from 1987, MIDI accordions have existed for a long time but I believe he used an analogic technology.
    Like this thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    It might be something with this technology.
    The album is from 1987, MIDI accordions have existed for a long time but I believe he used an analogic technology. Like this thing.
    It's not. As I added to the post, it's an ElectroHarmonix PolyChorus pedal. It was listed as a second instrument for Gumina in the Discogs entry for that album, but it was misspelled. Originals now sell for $1k USD and up, but EH has reissued a modern version of it that sells for far less.

Concertina or Accordian-polychorus-jpg