The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Playing live shows is sometimes very good and sometimes not.
    Is creative inspiration only sometimes?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, K,
    The greatest "highs" I've had in life were always when performing. They were always unexpected, surprising, and sometimes profound. Since the time when I was a young pre-teen, I couldn't wait until I had enough chops to start a group. The worst times in my life were when I didn't play at all. For me, music is cathartic and when it's good, it tells a story like a great novel, poem, or painting. I can't imagine why anyone would want to play an instrument and not perform. I'm hoping to return soon with an all-new music program as a solo guitarist in my new city. And, to answer your question, Kris, playing music is like making love . . . some gigs are better than others.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I tend to get really inspired watching live music...kinda sucks, part of me wants to stay and enjoy, part of me wants to go home and practice.

User Info Menu

Practice is sometimes very good and sometimes not. Most experiences are only sometimes.

User Info Menu

Live shows are musicians and audience playing music together, and for me that is the most beautiful part of music.

Your cannot recreate this energy when practicing alone, but there is a level of concentration at live shows that you can learn to have whenever you pick up a guitar.

Live playing tends to teach what is important in playing, why and what to practice, your limits as a player, etc. You can tell a lot about someone from the way they play.

User Info Menu

Yesterday I had a concert and I liked the audience very much.
    Everyone was listening and that inspired me a lot.
    The audience is a very important part of the concert.
    You can exercise a lot at home.
    At concerts with great audiences, new musical horizons open up.
    To draw listeners into my world of music - I guess that's what it's about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Playing live shows is sometimes very good and sometimes not.
    Is creative inspiration only sometimes?
    "Playing with good people" is always inspiring for me! When another player does something that makes you laugh/gasp/shout out loud on stage ["wow!!"], that can help push you further with your own playing.