The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I've been looking for a western style fedora
    Have a look at Akubra, e.g. their Riverina model. I have one which lives on my head whenever I go outside in the warmer months (and decide against wearing my Stetson; I have a smaller, black Akubra for the colder months). Pure rabbit felt, unlined and a really wide brim.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hats are useful things. I wear a fedora onstage to control eye contact and to act as a near-field monitor. Panamas in season ot whenever I feel like it. I am a grown man.

User Info Menu

I wear a Panama hat much of the time when I go out in the summer. They're very practical - light, don't easily go out of shape, and keep the sun off one's head. That's why I wear it, not for style, but for sun protection. I'm more concerned with utility thatn style at this age. My grandson loves it for style, though. He grabs it every time he sees it and thinks it's a cowboy hat. I expect he'll grow out of that, though. Fun fact: Panama hats are not made in Panama, but in Ecuador. That's where the palm used to make them grow. Panama is where they became popular when the canal was under construction.

User Info Menu

There used to be an older guy in our condo association who often wore hats. He said that for him, they helped prevent headaches. There can be very practical reasons to wear a hat: for style, to keep your head warm in the cold, to keep the sun off your head in the heat, or prevent headaches. It doesn't bother me what somebody else wears, so no worries.

Tony

User Info Menu

I need a hat? I didn’t get the memo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I need a hat? I didn’t get the memo.
    Only for videos.

User Info Menu

No self-respecting Jazzer in 50's/60's/70's Chicago would dare be seen without their black, wool Kangol Flat cap. Also, black wool berets were very popular.
    Marinero

Kangol Men's 504 Cap - Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com › Kangol-Mens-504-Cap

User Info Menu

Somewhere there is a photo of Wes wearing a Kangol 507, looks great. I have several of them but for some reason I neither look nor play as spiffy as Wes on gigs. To me that is the definitive jazz guitar head (sitting on top of the definitive jazz guitar player).

User Info Menu

John Helmer - Haberdasher has a great selection at many price points. I recommend.

User Info Menu

What is it with Hats and Video Posts?-6cd22e2b-05d2-449c-88b7-5dfd275ed0a2-jpeg

I stole Jim Hall’s vest and hat, but Joe Pass’s guitar.

User Info Menu

Guess i'm one of the ones guilty of this. I do like wearing hats though, and will often wear a hat not just on gigs or recording, but also other times when i go out. In the summer months it's great for avoiding sunburn and in the colder months it keeps my head warm. I also like the way it looks, even though it's not exactly in fashion anymore.

User Info Menu

Fashion, what's that?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWD
    it's great for avoiding sunburn and in the colder months it keeps my head warm.
    Don't forget they'll also keep the sun out of your eyes (incidentally also reducing the vaselin filter effect you get from smudgy (sun)glasses) - or the headlights of oncoming cars.

User Info Menu

If you google "rock music hat", mostly you see baseball caps.

But, if you google "jazz hat", you will be entertained by hat styles for hours.

It's not just harmony.

User Info Menu

I find it difficult to believe that jazz cats in New York in the 1950s would be wearing Kangol berets. My understanding is that Kangol, a British hatter, only became popular in the USA in the 1980s, when the hip-hop people discovered the joy of beret.

Regardless, here is a beret blog.

User Info Menu

Just leaving this here

What is it with Hats and Video Posts?-913caa46-7b01-43f2-8926-7c5bf0bdddac-jpegWhat is it with Hats and Video Posts?-d2d6e4e7-3cf1-4828-a3bc-772cdcdad046-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    If you google "rock music hat", mostly you see baseball caps.
    For some reason it annoys me to no end to see caps referred to as hats. As far as I can tell those are distinct forms of headgear (together with bonnets -as the beary thing in Christian's post- and berets and probably a few other types which may or may not include helmets).

Another example of US devolutionary simplification?

I used to wear Basque berets in my bicycling and motorcycling days. The have the advantage of folding into a coat pocket but don't keep the lights out of your eyes and rain of my glasses...

User Info Menu

Thundercat appears to be wearing the remains of a real wild animal, while Collier is wearing the poundshop vegan alternative. In a very real sense, these headgear choices say a lot about their owners.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Thundercat appears to be wearing the remains of a real wild animal, while Collier is wearing the poundshop vegan alternative. In a very real sense, these headgear choices say a lot about their owners.
    I would imagine Thundercat slayed that animal with a few righteous notes from the lower register.

My daughter and her boyfriend came to my place to see Thundercat, who was playing at a club a few blocks away, in March 2020. But as you recall, that was when venues started shutting down because of COVID, and they didn’t make it to the concert.

User Info Menu

Can’t argue about Lester’s pork pie or Wes’s cap, but nobody wore any kind of a hat better than the Count.

What is it with Hats and Video Posts?-22fba474-8796-4a9f-aa09-d574fedaf80a-jpeg

User Info Menu

No one is looking at your head, guys. It's all about the shoes.

Careful with those gangster-pimp shoes. They took me to some very unusual places in the 1980's.
    I'm still in recovery.