The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

I’m struck by the number of jazz guitar players who, it seems, feel it necessary to sport some kind of headgear for the purpose of presenting a video. (I also think I may have way too much free time on hand.)

AKA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hiding male pattern baldness. Either that or their fashion sense is stuck there. Think of guys playing Dixieland wearing straw boater hats.

User Info Menu

The better you are at jazz the less hair you have. Look at Joe Pass, it’s scientific fact.

User Info Menu

Why hate on hats? It's not new: Lester Young and many more wore hats. Jazz is self-expression, it spills over into presentation and appearance. The question might well be: why do so many performers wear beat-up baseball caps backwards?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    The better you are at jazz the less hair you have. Look at Joe Pass, it’s scientific fact.
    Pat Metheny agrees..

User Info Menu

There are men without hats;

User Info Menu

Maybe they always wore them to record. It's just that nobody notices the hats on an LP.

What is it with Hats and Video Posts?-51hq3rv2ynl-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Ive got a couple of thinning patches so maybe I’m making progress!

User Info Menu

When Lester Young wore hats, everyone wore hats. Now, only jazzmen wear hats (and waistcoats). They are telling us they are authentic, straight-ahead cats: no fusion from them.

User Info Menu

Yes, most likely answer is too much free time on your hands.
    It is odd how the masses dress with such terrible taste that they now feel compelled to call out those who dress well. Guys wearing sweat pants and a hockey jersey, white socks with sandals dissing Hippsters for wearing leather oxfords, $225 jeans (no holes or tears) and a fine cotton dress shirt.

User Info Menu

When I was young, I was told it’s rude to wear a hat in a closed room. This was in Europe/Germany, at a time when people were just stopping to wear hats per default. From movies, TV shows etc it doesn’t seem that this was ever a thing in the US. Or possibly it just went from being rude to being normal. In this case, why should musicians be an exception?

Am I correct in my observation? I‘d love to be proven wrong.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A couple of days ago, I was walking down our main street, when a Hare Krishna man complimented me on my shoes, and asked me where they came from. "Earls Barton", I replied. Obviously, he was trying to attract my attention so he could persuade me to accept a copy of the Bhagavad Gita in exchange for a donation but, nethertheless, I was impressed that a man who dressed in beige could appreciate English shoemaking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    When I was young, I was told it’s rude to wear a hat in a closed room. This was in Europe/Germany, at a time when people were just stopping to wear hats per default. From movies, TV shows etc it doesn’t seem that this was ever a thing in the US. Or possibly it just went from being rude to being normal. In this case, why should musicians be an exception?

Am I correct in my observation? I‘d love to be proven wrong.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    As normal clothing in most social situations, you are correct. However, there is a difference between an "outfit" (normal clothing ensemble) and a "costume." if your hat is just a simple part of your outfit, take it off indoors. But on stage, or in performance venues, a hat might well be part of a "costume" which is the distinctive clothing a performer might adopt to signal their distinctiveness or role.

How'd I do? I almost believe myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    Pat Metheny agrees..
    Hey, leave brillo pads out of this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    When Lester Young wore hats, everyone wore hats. Now, only jazzmen wear hats (and waistcoats). They are telling us they are authentic, straight-ahead cats: no fusion from them.
    Mike Stern don't wear no stinkin' hats! Course he studied with Pat Metheny.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Maybe they always wore them to record. It's just that nobody notices the hats on an LP.

Jim could take or leave hats, his true powers were hidden in the brown leather vest.

User Info Menu

Variation on a classic theme.

A famous guitarist is noted not only for his prowess on the instrument but also for the fact that he always wore a duck on top of his head. Everywhere the man went, there was the duck. Every stage he was photographed on, there was the duck.
    It became more than a trademark, but a point of mystery that everyone on the jazz guitar forums and Reddits speculated on.
    So finally this guitarist is about to play a two week run at the Village Vanguard. A New York Times reporter sits down in advance of a feature they'll do.
    "So tell me about the duck on your head, is it a hat or a fashion statement or something?" to which the duck looks down and answers "To be honest, it began as a wart on my butt..."

Budda bing

User Info Menu

Hats were commonly worn by men until the election of JFK. Every President for decades had worn top hats to the swearing in ceremony, but he went hatless, and suddenly hats disappeared. You can see it in movies, and in photos of the time. Hat check stations disappeared, because there were no hats to check. Wearing a hat inside wasn't acceptable, except for unusual situations. You tipped (or even doffed) your hat to the ladies, and you removed it when you went inside. Now men wear baseball caps at the table, which was once entirely socially unacceptable. Fashions change with the times. Fortunately we no longer wear knee breeches, long coats, and powdered wigs.

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about wearing, thus "bringing back " (people like me are the real influencers)the periwig and ruffled pirate shirts. Fwiw, knee breeches and long coats are far more comfortable than one might think. Not fully decided yet on breeches because they don't work with the narrow square toe cowboy boots that will accompany the puffy shirts and periwig. Look for no notice posted here on this new direction of fashion. You won't have to read about it, you'll simply witness it and feel terribly outdated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat

Hmm!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Why hate on hats? It's not new: Lester Young and many more wore hats. Jazz is self-expression, it spills over into presentation and appearance. The question might well be: why do so many performers wear beat-up baseball caps backwards?
    Not hating, just noticing they seem to donned by a number of jazz guitarists when presenting videos.

AKA

User Info Menu

Old style jazzcats were known for wearing hats, especially porkpie and trilby hats, right?
    And since Freddie Green sported a hat, I think there is nothing wrong with a hat. I myself like to wear one when playing on an open air stage. Makes reading the sheet music much easier should the sun shine towards me.
    What is it with Hats and Video Posts?-freddie-png

User Info Menu

Men no longer wear breeches and frock coats. They were sports kit. Short and dumpy men wear the shirt of the thirty-third greatest Boston Celtics player. Irony is dead.

User Info Menu

And when a hat won't due, how about a bucket?

User Info Menu

It is not uncommon amongst homicide detectives to wear pork pie hats. Just a little sign of group membership, never heard one that could....kill....on the sax.

I have a pale complexion, am bald and have 1) a history of skin cancer 2) an ongoing battle with pre cancerous growths on my scalp. I despise baseball caps (unless you're playing a sport). I'm native to Boston as aahh my 3 bruthahs. I started wearing cowboy boots in 1976 and just so happen to currently live in OKC, OK. I could wear a cowboy hat and nobody would bat an eye but I don't think a cowboy hat goes well with a Boston accent. I've been looking for a western style fedora (more popular historically than one might think, just not well represented in Western movies. Not everyone west of the Mississippi was a cowboy). I have used a baseball cap for sunburn protection but I hate myself when I do.