The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

At 79 George is still able to sing really good. Unfortunately he didn't play guitar much. Didn't play This Masquerade or Breezin. Otherwise it was a good show. Just happy I was able to see him.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm guessing he mostly plays for himself and maybe friends.

I recently watched a great documentary on Linda Ronstadt. I'm very impressed with her talent. At too young an age and when she was still pioneering she developed Parkinsonism. That closed her career. https://www.amazon.com/Linda-Ronstad.../dp/B07WZWHJ4R

Years later Emmylou Harris was interviewed and was asked about her friend and longtime colleague Linda. Emmylou said that Linda did not miss the recordings and concerts. Emmylou began tearing up and said Linda just missed singing with her friends.

George has done more than a lifetime's work and changed the world of music. It is a profound privilege to be in the audience and pay him tribute.

User Info Menu

Great to pay homage to the greats while they’re still alive. I’m happy that you got to see him!

User Info Menu

It is bittersweet to see our favorite players go through their life journeys. I am glad George is still playing and enjoying life, and can still share his music. You do make me wonder if today's crowd does not want to hear jazz guitar solos, and if that is why George pulled back on that part of his repertoire?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    It is bittersweet to see our favorite players go through their life journeys. I am glad George is still playing and enjoying life, and can still share his music. You do make me wonder if today's crowd does not want to hear jazz guitar solos, and if that is why George pulled back on that part of his repertoire?
    Short attention spans may be a factor. What were we talking about?

User Info Menu

Kind of related, I learned recently that Bruce Willis has aphasia and cannot act anymore.

User Info Menu

I too saw George Benson earlier this year - two years late because of Covid. He did play a few short solos and did a solo / chord-melody-ish version of Danny Boy, but that was it so far as guitar playing was concerned. His band was tight and the other guitar player was excellent, but overall it was a disco / soul / funk evening rather than a jazz one. His voice is still incredible and women of a certain age - my wife included - all around the auditorium were up and dancing to the nightclubs songs of their youth. I was telling a friend only this week about the gig and he said "I went to see George Benson a few years back and it was awful - all he did was play guitar solos..."