The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Sam. He comes in for jazz practice with a wag and play bow then settles in at my feet. Other pets usually glare a bit before padding off for quieter digs (everyone's a critic..). However, Sam really seems to like music and in particular saxophone.

Jazz Dog-jazz-dog-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

my two cats seem to love music and the vibes that come with it.

it has to be mellow though, they do not like upbeat stuff.

this black one ( male ) believes he is Brigitte Bardot.

( click for large ... NSFW ... )

User Info Menu

I usually practice upstairs where the dog isn't allowed but the few times I played downstairs I got the distinct impression she didn't appreciate. Either the sound, or else the fact that I was "playing" but not with her. (Don't tell us that dogs don't know jealousy!)

With my cats it's a different story. The seniors (8+), esp. the male always joined me, and have now even inherited an old gigbag.

It's often said that cats are musical (and dogs not), I'm not convinced but maybe they pick up on the low frequencies and take the sounds we produce for our form of purring. Cats have much more sensitive hearing than dogs, btw.

User Info Menu

first post!

my dog absolutely loves when i play guitar...he'll sing along no matter if im just messing around or playing something legit. i love my buddy so much.

User Info Menu

Fortunately ours doesn't!

My older cats do have a habit of going potty when they join me for my practice, taking great and lengthy pleasure in turning over the litter (which makes it surprisingly difficult to hear what I'm doing) and hopefully not giving an olfactory comment on what they think of my progress

User Info Menu

Music does make an impression, and indeed the mellower it is, the more pets seem to be attracted..

Quote Originally Posted by spencer096
    first post!

my dog absolutely loves when i play guitar...he'll sing along no matter if im just messing around or playing something legit. i love my buddy so much.

Great first post and very cool dog. Welcome to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    my two cats seem to love music and the vibes that come with it.
    That appears to be one big cat..

User Info Menu

I had a Hard Rock drummer buddy who had to large drumkits in her house. Her playing was deafening, and I had to bring my larger amps to keep up.

Anyway, she has a little terrier that would come in and go to sleep right in front of her base drum. As sensitive as a dog's ears are, I could not believe or fathom this poor dog's motivation. My dog leaves into a different room when I play loudly. Maybe her dog had long gone deaf...?

User Info Menu

Only thing that doesn't seem to work is dogs and horns... especially alto sax seems to often cause hell with dogs...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Maybe her dog had long gone deaf...?
    The owner too probably?

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Only thing that doesn't seem to work is dogs and horns... especially alto sax seems to often cause hell with dogs...
    This has been my experience. Our cats and dogs over the years have been fine with guitar. Sam (pictured above) is, to date, the only one that tolerates saxophone and he even seems to like it.

User Info Menu

My cockatiel likes to whistle along to songs but mainly in the key of C. It took me a while to notice that. A lot of the standards I play are in Eb or G and he just sit there. But when I play songs like The Nearness of You in C, that really gets him going. He doesn't really play-the-changes (hey, I can barely do that!), or the melody, but he does whistle in the key of C, often singing the same notes I'm playing (hit and miss).

I only taught him one song and that is the Andy Griffith theme song. Anytime he hears whistling in music this gets him going. I taped the AG theme song and played that over and over for a period of weeks. Thus he has the A section down-pat and most of the B section. So I play the song on guitar and he joins in.

User Info Menu

This is a very soothing and enjoyable thread. It reminds me of my brother's cat, named 'Music'. He used to rest on top of his studio monitors during recording sessions or any time it sensed musical vibes in the room. Music loved music.

Thanks to all of the pets...and pet lovers for your contributions.

User Info Menu

Our wonderful boy "Jazz", who sadly went to Rainbow Bridge last October, snuck in to quietly listen to...what else - Jazz
    Jazz Dog-jazz-music-jpg

Our current Sibes wanting to know what we're going to play next...

Jazz Dog-e-c-music-rooom-jpg

User Info Menu

Just back from the 1st evening of the Morty Jazz festival. 3 people brought their dog. Maybe we'll take ours tomorrow as there was no howling or barking along (not that that would have changed much compared to the bunch of kids running around and a small rowdy crowd more interested in catching up than being respectful towards musicians :-/ )

User Info Menu

We never had dogs or cats ourselves. However, we once had a visitor who brought her dog. As soon as I began to play my guitar the dog started to howl as if in utter agony. I attributed that to the dogs poor musical taste, but my wife was not so sure about that ....

Sendt fra min SM-X900 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

living room pic from yesterday ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    living room pic from yesterday ...

Looks like the guitar has 3 knobs; Are two are for volume and one for tone? But I don't see a pick-up switch.

User Info Menu

that's it, two volume and the third knob for tone.

works pretty well.

guitar is a 1951 single pick-up from the factory.

User Info Menu

Jazz Dog-img_0391-jpg

She loves to sit and listen to me play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Jazz Dog-img_0391-jpg
    I have a very similar Garouda sculpture hanging in my study - and she too often turns her back on me (whether I play or not btw)

User Info Menu

I like this thread. I had a cat that was not perturbed by much of anything, but he'd shoot me the stink eye and leave the room as soon as so much as I reached for a guitar. Maybe it's my playing...

User Info Menu

Jazz Dog-p090212_1402-jpg

User Info Menu

Good stuff. I think many pups like jazz because it stimulates them mentally and soothes them. I'm not joking lol. I think they can understand it and they like it because they don't have much to occupy them.