The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just curious as to why Jimi's set-up (strung for LH playing) was altered. Who would do such a thing?
    OK, given that it is a Hendrix Strat, unless it can be established that it is, for instance, the Woodstock Strat or the Maui Strat or what ever, it remains a Strat. Jimi went through lots of Strats, and degrees of specialness might come into play. That said, I'd take it.
    I'm thinking the Woodstock Strat would be glass-case material. If I may quote myself on icons:

"Down at the corner of Meridian and Ninth
    In Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.
    On the planet Earth of the system Sol
    In the Galaxy Milky Way
    I saw the tool of a Master
    Muddy Water's Purple Telecaster"

"...Jimi Hendrix' Woodstock Stratocaster" would work as well. Rock and roll Hall of Fame, let's get somebody on this!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 07-16-2022 at 11:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Reality TV shows have little to do with reality. All those shows are scripted and planned in advance. I don't know how much the guy got for being on the show, but I assume it was worth his time. I don't normally watch this or similar shows, but they were forced on me back when I was working, and there was little to do other than watch TV while on standby. Many of the episodes feature an interview with the seller before taking the item in, and then another afterwards. You don't get that interview unless the whole thing has been set up in advance. Most of the stuff shown would never be taken to a pawn shop otherwise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Reality TV shows have little to do with reality. All those shows are scripted and planned in advance. I don't know how much the guy got for being on the show, but I assume it was worth his time. I don't normally watch this or similar shows, but they were forced on me back when I was working, and there was little to do other than watch TV while on standby. Many of the episodes feature an interview with the seller before taking the item in, and then another afterwards. You don't get that interview unless the whole thing has been set up in advance. Most of the stuff shown would never be taken to a pawn shop otherwise.
    Agree. I was obliged to watch a lot of this during therapy (the alternative was the Hitler Channel) and the uniformity of the scenarios was blatant. More of the negative cultural impact of the Great Writer's Strike in the Before Time. I will never forgive D*sknee for what they did to A and E.

true..when i first saw Gordon Ramsey the TV Chef throwing tantrums in a kitchen throwing pots at cooks..then the realisation all scripted for drama...

User Info Menu

There's a local soul food restaurant now run by the daughter of the founder--Mom's Kitchen--that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and offered a slot on The Foot Network. They declined, since they came to realize how much extra drama would need to be added to the day to day operations to make it TV-worthy. Kind of like "professional" wrasslin', I guess.

Pawn Stars is kind of interesting from time to time. They featured (IIRC) Mary Ford's son selling a 3-pickup LP Special (SG style) that Les had given her. It went in the high $10,000s as I remember.

User Info Menu

Interesting article on Hendrix guitar previously owned by Frank Zappa. It is now owned by Dweezil. It is one of the very few guitars he set fire to still in existence. It is thought to have been burned in Miami, though that's not for sure. The Monterrey guitar that was so iconic is thought to have been destroyed, though some people claim to have pieces of it.

Dweezil put it on the market awhile ago but it didn't sell for what he wanted for it, so he still has it.

Jimi Hendrix's 196? Fender Stratocaster (Frank Zappa) – Ground Guitar

I haven't seen the video, but boy doesn't Dweez look like his old man in that picture?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Yeah it's pretty obvious how they are scripted.

User Info Menu

The one with Vic Flick selling the guitar he used to play the 007 theme on wasn't bad.

User Info Menu

long ago there was real live TV...it was the only kind there was..as tape was not ready for prime time yet.

and from time to time you got to see "chaos--live from new york" ..but you didnt really mind it as it was the only show in town so to speak

being that commercial time rules where shows go if dead air creeps in at all..so the "what do I do now?" factor is gone

scripted..like playing top 40 covers note for note

User Info Menu

I have a memory of the following story. As I recall it was told to me by John Cippolina, guitarist for Quicksilver Messenger Service.

I might be remembering this wrong, but here's what I recall.

John said the Monterey Pop Festival guitar that Jimi burned on stage was actually Cippolina's, loaned to Hendrix.

The guitar was returned to him and put back together.

Later, while playing that guitar at a show at the Keystone in Berkeley, the neck fell off and people in the crowd screamed "Burn it!"

Did I mention I might not be remembering this right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I have a memory of the following story. As I recall it was told to me by John Cippolina, guitarist for Quicksilver Messenger Service.

I might be remembering this wrong, but here's what I recall.

John said the Monterey Pop Festival guitar that Jimi burned on stage was actually Cippolina's, loaned to Hendrix.

The guitar was returned to him and put back together.

Later, while playing that guitar at a show at the Keystone in Berkeley, the neck fell off and people in the crowd screamed "Burn it!"

Did I mention I might not be remembering this right?
    That could be, but it's hard to find a pic of him without his trademark SG. Cippolina was a great guitarist. What a vital scene going on in San Fran in the late 60's.