The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

I'm not certain that stress is the only thing that can stabilize heart rate. I would be interested to find out if rhythm can cause it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I am completely normal however a celibate at this point by religious vows, so I don't have to worry about that stress.
    Not joking, this could be behind it. Any kind of musical instrument playing is at its most basic level a courtship display. Esp jazz with its sexy chords and seductive melodies!. Maybe ur tapping into some kind of inner conflict in ur mind?

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Not joking, this could be behind it. Any kind of musical instrument playing is at its most basic level a courtship display. Esp jazz with its sexy chords and seductive melodies!. Maybe ur tapping into some kind of inner conflict in ur mind?
    My bride of 32 plus years was wonderful. It has been almost 3.5 years since she passed but no inner conflict of tapping into my mind. I have to laugh really Mrs D would find this funny. For me the guitar is a work of sound an art. No inner conflict it is just the guitar, but I do have a soft spot for them just no courtship.

User Info Menu

My bride of 32 plus years was wonderful. It has been almost 3.5 years since she passed but no inner conflict of tapping into my mind. I have to laugh really Mrs D would find this funny. For me the guitar is a work of sound an art. No inner conflict it is just the guitar, but I do have a soft spot for them just no courtship.
    Sorry to hear of ur loss, your wife and marriage sound lovely.

I had u down as a monk or something lol.

User Info Menu

I had u down as a monk or something lol.
    Doesn't seem too wrong; the monasteries used to have their share of (formerly) married people.

Celibate doesn't normally mean asexual but if it does there's nothing biologically natural about it. You could try taking antidepressants or other libido-suppressing drugs if you're curious to know whether your playing stress could be due to some kind of release mechanism

User Info Menu

Deacon Mark, are you a monk?

Deacon Mark, are you a monk?
    No permanent deacon in Roman Catholic Church but I sort of live like one at least in some small ways. I did not take a vow of poverty that being the biggie.

User Info Menu

Yes, do the gig! As someone who does this routinely, instrumental will be appreciated, by them and you. And they might just sing on their own. Do the gig!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Do the gig man, don't take advice on what might happen from a bunch of people who come here and shoe horn politics and classical music into every thread of a jazz forum.

Do

The

Gig

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    The only time I'll worry about my heart rate is when it stops. Worrying too much about what your stress level is is probably more stressful than what you're doing.

OTOH, playing guitar make me very very depressed - it's not fun anymore after 50+ years. It's no fun because I no longer have an outlet for it which, in the past, was my reason for practicing and learning anything new. I'm not a 'bedroom' player - I must have an audience to make it worthwhile. I don't understand how those who don't gig can enjoy it but know many do. I posted on the 'Bandstand' section of the forum about, possibly doing a solo gig at an assisted living facility but was pretty much told that the folks wouldn't enjoy it because I don't sing - now I'm second guessing that whole idea - take up gardening maybe?
    I really think you should do it, Skip. What the hell do we know? I love playing for seniors, it's rewarding and really low-stress, outside of getting the equipment in and starting on time, but that's what we do. Here's what I know: if the performer is having fun, the audience has fun. And that's the job in a Senior setting: making them feel better. I've been adding the occasional instrumental, albeit something exotic and Spanish, they like it if you have fun playing it.

User Info Menu

I did not take a vow of poverty.
    I am confused. You DO play jazz guitar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    ... a solo gig at an assisted living facility but was pretty much told that the folks wouldn't enjoy it because I don't sing - now I'm second guessing that whole idea - take up gardening maybe?
    Maybe you could chat up some other healthcare-related venues. Not everyone in the hospital wants to hear folk songs.

I saw a jazz quartet in the main atrium of a local hospital a few years ago. It was freakin' awesome. This was not the downtempo, low-key, keep-it-soothing stuff that the same hospital hires solo pianists to provide in the cancer center lobby. Nor was it a sing-along for the geriatric crowd. This was energetic, mainstream jazz played by a very good local players as a kind of lunchtime concert, in a place where interested patients and staff could enjoy and those not interested could avoid.

$0.02,

SJ

User Info Menu

No permanent deacon in Roman Catholic Church but I sort of live like one at least in some small ways. I did not take a vow of poverty that being the biggie.
    This shows the power of music to unite people. I'm literally the opposite of this, a decedent atheist, but we are united by the shared love of jazz guitar!

User Info Menu

I'm literally the opposite of this, a decedent atheist
    decedent, I suppose that means something like "in the process of becoming decent", and I presume you meant that in the sense of "proper atheist" rather than "decent for an atheist". Or should we just read decadent?

EDIT: deceding atheist could be an appropriate concept too in this context

User Info Menu

You don't need to take an oath of poverty to play jazz guitar, as long as you don't do it full time as your only source of income.

User Info Menu

Doing some ear training now. Currently staying in one key and guessing/playing all 7 triads that are coming randomly from app.
    It is rather simple. But only 1 second to react - not childsplay for me. For weeks and weeks training the anxiety starts to disappear.
    Gets comfy. And pleasant. Soothing. The point is.. um. No point. Just observation. It was fun to see how the feeling changes to opposite at some point.
    There is hope

edit: xampl.wav - Google Drive
    Last edited by emanresu; 07-14-2022 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I wouldn’t stress about it too much
    I wouldn’t FRET about it much…

;-)

User Info Menu

Music does not create stress . . . ego creates stress.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I wouldn’t FRET about it much…

;-)
    One must also avoid getting wound too tight, which for those of us wrapped a little too tight, can be a challenge.

I say, when you encounter a bottleneck, just let it slide....

User Info Menu

I suspect that one of the main sources of "stress", negative thoughts of self, and general self hatred imposed on so many musicians is that they (probably naturally) compare their playing (often a very direct link to their "self worth") to the greatest jazz musicians who've ever lived. We're all inspired by recordings and live performances of our musical heroes who have shown us just what is humanly possible so we have their examples that we can listen to repeatedly and that naturally becomes our goal. We can spend years getting better and improving and while we do get better, and even quite good so that casual non musicians can't hear it understand the difference, we are keenly aware of our limitations and shortcomings when compared to "the greatest". We often fail to give ourselves credit for what we have or can achieve because we are so motivated but what we have not yet accomplished. Think of the scene in Good Will Hunting by the dejected Prof...."there are only a handful of people in the world who know/understand the difference between you and me, but I'm one of them".
    An acknowledged MIT genius falls in his mind from hero to zero because of a punk from Dorchester is lives in a mathematical world far above him (and everyone else).
    Play music as well as you can, work to improve yourself as you see fit and enjoy every moment of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I say, when you encounter a bottleneck, just let it slide....
    And remember it don't mean no mess if it ain't cause that stress ?

User Info Menu

I am relaxed and happy when I play Piano or Guitar.

Music feels like a wonderland to me.

I get up at 6 a.m. to play in the morning sun with open windows.

the birds sing along with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    I am relaxed and happy when I play Piano or Guitar.

Music feels like a wonderland to me.

I get up at 6 a.m. to play in the morning sun with open windows.

the birds sing along with me.
    Hi, F,
    I have a similar event when I'm playing CG(not EG). There is a local cardinal bird who starts calling when I begin playing and it usually lasts for about 20 minutes. Perhaps, it's just coincidence . . . but I'd like to think we're communicating.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I have a new wonderful classical guitar, for about a week, you will sure like it.

but do not tell me, that the player is what matters most, that is understood by everyone here already.