The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Asking people on a GUITAR forum for chainsaw advice seems like a fool’s errand.
    The keyword being seems, as demonstrated in the replies above IMHO. I've long learned not to underestimate the likelyhood that other members on this kind of forum have exactly the kind of experience and/or education I'm looking for (contrary to, say, a generic motorcycling forum).

I probably wouldn't ask for advice on carving out a plate using a chainsaw though

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    The keyword being seems, as demonstrated in the replies above IMHO. I've long learned not to underestimate the likelyhood that other members on this kind of forum have exactly the kind of experience and/or education I'm looking for (contrary to, say, a generic motorcycling forum).

I probably wouldn't ask for advice on carving out a plate using a chainsaw though
    As a side note, here in Pennsylvania chainsaw sculpture is a thing. Black bears are a favorite subject, and once painted, can give one pause. One downside is the tendency for these representations to attract the attention of the real article, which are quite common in the area's forests and fields, and (I speak from experience) quite impressive at close range, which I do not advise. Decades of D*sney movies have people convinced wildlife exists for our amusement and entertainment. Not so, and one must keep in mind a 600 pound bear can mess you up accidentally - actual malice/hunger need not be involved. And don't get me started on deer/bears on the highways and byways.

User Info Menu

To me, messing about with a chainsaw seems like a sure-fire way to end up with a left hand like Django’s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    After having reached a certain level, I am seriously considering making a living from tree surgery. My method is new, thats why i call it tree revolution, it will target specially people with zero knowledge, who thinks trees are too complicated. Since i learnt that tree-felling is way easier that what it seems if u approach it the right way. i have a partner who is expert in online marketing , so i can be promoted in the first positions of google., many skills, new method, revolutionary, since its very different to the rest.
    Laughed so hard when I read that last night.....It certainly puts things in a totally "alternate" perspective

And now back to our regularly scheduled program on ...tree cutting....

Pretty much every angle has been covered in the replies, and I do understand the cost concern and the fact you can't hire a lift to trim from the top .....From the pics (if I were to do it myself) I'd darn well make sure I have a clean unobstructed area to work in, I'd want to get out of there as fast as I can move when I need to.....Also you may hasten its downfall by cutting directly at the root level. I've done this a few times when the tree was leaning as in your situation and the roots protruding..I always used guide wires or winches on leaners..it doesn't need much but is essential if you want to miss the "structure".....As always, should you or any of your IM Force be killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape/disc will self-destruct in five/ten seconds. Good luck,....

Ray
    Last edited by RayS; 07-04-2022 at 06:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    After having reached a certain level, I am seriously considering making a living from tree surgery. My method is new, thats why i call it tree revolution, it will target specially people with zero knowledge, who thinks trees are too complicated. Since i learnt that tree-felling is way easier that what it seems if u approach it the right way. i have a partner who is expert in online marketing , so i can be promoted in the first positions of google., many skills, new method, revolutionary, since its very different to the rest.
    OK, I'm may be intersted, but I wan to know if your fast, to.

User Info Menu

Litterick…. You now own it all Sir, 10-0 NZ/Rest of world!

Including, well, you know who

One Halloween I fired up my chainsaw in back of the house, as I saw kids I’d rev it up.
    Somehow the local police did not share my sense of humor.

jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    OK, I'm may be intersted, but I wan to know if your fast, to.
    How do you want to have that quantified?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    To me, messing about with a chainsaw seems like a sure-fire way to end up with a left hand like Django’s.
    Or a leg like Ahab's.

User Info Menu

I believe the two most dangerous home power tools are chainsaws and tablesaws. I was using my tablesaw one time, always knowing enough to stand to the side. Well it kicked back and shot a piece of wood like a rocket right through the garage wall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I believe the two most dangerous home power tools are chainsaws and tablesaws. I was using my tablesaw one time, always knowing enough to stand to the side. Well it kicked back and shot a piece of wood like a rocket right through the garage wall.
    you're lucky, I spent years every day on a table saw and had plenty of wood kickback, but one time a piece about 2" in diameter caught me right in the gut and left quite the welt. but I'm glad to not be on a saw every day anymore and still have 10 fingers.

User Info Menu

You can add planers to that list, and gang rips. Even industrial versions are deathtraps. I used to get mildly in trouble admonishing our latest Assistant Manager (the company went through them like Kleenex in Flu season) for standing behind said maimers while running boards through. "Oh, the dogs will catch it" was the usual ignorant reply. I had reasons to be firm: I had a guy on my crew that had been driving a forklift and was waiting for the line to clear when he witnessed a gang rip kick a 4x4 through the man foolishly standing behind it, pinning him to an 8x8 beam. He eventually died after the beam was cut and they tried to remove the 4x4 at the hospital. The driver never got over it, he still had the shakes several years later, when I knew him. I went through this with at least four AMs. I hate to be a nag, but....

User Info Menu

Well... we got a xmas gift from nature; the tree decided to lay down of itself, today. Undoubtedly a combination of its impressive lean angle, the week of solid freezing we've had followed by one of almost continuous rain.
    I was at home and heard nothing (nor did the neighbour who lives even closer to that side of the terrain) so it landed softly enough, and it went straight down too with just a small branch sticking out over the wall. I'm sure it wouldn't have gone this perfectly if we'd tried to cut her down

We've already cut away part of the crown (with handtools as I don't trust my electric chainsaw in the open if it isn't perfectly dry). I counted 64 alternating light and dark rings in the thickest fork I cut, so it's been up there close to 32 years already.

Come spring the smaller pieces should be dry enough to use for cooking ... Robinia is perfect for that, with a perfume close to that of mesquite

User Info Menu

I love a happy ending

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    you're lucky, I spent years every day on a table saw and had plenty of wood kickback, but one time a piece about 2" in diameter caught me right in the gut and left quite the welt. but I'm glad to not be on a saw every day anymore and still have 10 fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    You can add planers to that list, and gang rips. Even industrial versions are deathtraps. I used to get mildly in trouble admonishing our latest Assistant Manager (the company went through them like Kleenex in Flu season) for standing behind said maimers while running boards through. "Oh, the dogs will catch it" was the usual ignorant reply. I had reasons to be firm: I had a guy on my crew that had been driving a forklift and was waiting for the line to clear when he witnessed a gang rip kick a 4x4 through the man foolishly standing behind it, pinning him to an 8x8 beam. He eventually died after the beam was cut and they tried to remove the 4x4 at the hospital. The driver never got over it, he still had the shakes several years later, when I knew him. I went through this with at least four AMs. I hate to be a nag, but....
    Maybe I posted this before, but I had a table saw kick back a piece of wood which went past me and dented the garage door where I was working. Fortunately I was standing to the side. I always make note of which way the wood will fly in case of a problem, and try to stand well away of it.

My current table saw is a SawStop, which is very safe. Unlikely to lose any fingers with it. With the industrial pawls on that one I doubt there would be a major kickback, but of course I still stand on the other side of the blade. Proper adjustment of the fence is a big help in preventing kickback.

As far as chainsaws, I don’t do much cutting these days, but do have chaps and protective gear. And as with all power equipment proper maintenance and especially chain sharpening are critical to prevent binding and issues.

I’ve never had any problems with my 12” planer, but I did have a jointer throw a small piece of wood I foolishly tried to plane on the end grain. Fortunately I was standing in front of the machine, not in the path of the wood.

Yes respect the power tools. They can all bite given a chance.

User Info Menu

Slight digression I knew a guy once who suffered a catastrophic injury while tree trimming. While a college student he worked with an arborist company. One day they were trimming some limbs and loading them into the chipper. He wasn’t really paying attention, and his shirt sleeve caught on a piece of the limb and drew his arm into the chute. Despite a safety bar, his arm was drawn in.

He ended up losing his arm at the shoulder. He said that the weirdest thing was that there was no pain. He started walking around without an arm, blood spurting out, and everybody in the area started screaming and either throwing up or running away. He couldn’t get anyone to help him stop the bleeding or call an ambulance.

He actually became a craftsman and had a shop for awhile that sold wooden toys. He became an expert on using tools with his one arm and even pounding nails one-handed.

A disarming experience, to say the least.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Well... we got a xmas gift from nature; the tree decided to lay down of itself, today. Undoubtedly a combination of its impressive lean angle, the week of solid freezing we've had followed by one of almost continuous rain.
    I was at home and heard nothing (nor did the neighbour who lives even closer to that side of the terrain) so it landed softly enough, and it went straight down too with just a small branch sticking out over the wall. I'm sure it wouldn't have gone this perfectly if we'd tried to cut her down

We've already cut away part of the crown (with handtools as I don't trust my electric chainsaw in the open if it isn't perfectly dry). I counted 64 alternating light and dark rings in the thickest fork I cut, so it's been up there close to 32 years already.

Come spring the smaller pieces should be dry enough to use for cooking ... Robinia is perfect for that, with a perfume close to that of mesquite
    Beautiful wood, and I would hope you would have pieces for turning bowls and making pens. I’d be all over that like a fly on stink.

User Info Menu

I don't have the tools for that, and I'm not certain how the ministery of interior affairs would view an influx of such "trinkets"

I did make a rough chainsaw sculpture once (a footstool), from a log of sumac tree cut long ago by the previous owner. There have been quite a few of those on our terrain, including a still-not-dead one that snapped at maybe 3m high and must be about 80cm diam at the base (and is still sending out shoots).
    Not a very good firewood, but it does have interesting patterns.

User Info Menu

tree cutting-img_8301-jpg

tree cutting-img_8302-jpg

tree cutting-img_8304-jpg

tree cutting-img_8305-jpg