The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 131 of 131

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Really lovely. Makes me feel very mortal, very old, very dull. But very lovely!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jazz is a language that consists of precisely 18 common practice devices, according to Jerry Coker. He and his students analyzed many solos and extracted these devices (most or all of which are familiar to many of you). It's actually pretty amazing because he has full transcriptions of solos in the book that he labeled with the devices. Very little is left unlabeled in each solo. He says it's these unlabeled sections are usually the best parts of solos. But you need to get good at creatively applying the common practice devices to have those "unlabelable" moments in the solo.

Elements of the jazz language for the developing improvisor - Jerry Coker - Google Books

User Info Menu

Sounds awful.

User Info Menu

Wayne Shorter:

When I said Mozart was a jazz musician: just the word “jazz,” just to take it apart, what does it mean? What does “classical” mean? It’s not in stone, but classical, get asked the word and it means “challenge,” and sometimes I’ve tried to stir it up by saying, “Jazz means ‘I dare you.’” [laughs] “I dare you!”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stylo
    Wayne Shorter:

When I said Mozart was a jazz musician: just the word “jazz,” just to take it apart, what does it mean? What does “classical” mean? It’s not in stone, but classical, get asked the word and it means “challenge,” and sometimes I’ve tried to stir it up by saying, “Jazz means ‘I dare you.’” [laughs] “I dare you!”
    I'm glad someone understands that, I don't :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm glad someone understands that, I don't :-)
    R u fick?