The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any recommendations? I have a good software notation app but sometimes I want to write stuff; it seems easier to get thoughts out that way. I have had some in the past that are really flimsy or with paper that is prone to curling.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

Thanks, I have searched Amazon. Any specific recommendations?
    Last edited by micpoch; 05-19-2022 at 10:51 AM. Reason: insert quote

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    I use 8 1/2"x11" manuscript paper. You can store the sheets in file folders labeled: Classical, Jazz, Chords, Scales, Phrases, Progressions, etc. Much can be discarded in months/years after mastery.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Search online for pdfs of manuscript paper, get some heavy weight printer paper and laser print your own.
    You can find free downloads of all sorts of layouts including ones with chord boxes at the top and (God forbid))) tab staffs.
    If youre off the wall like me theres SATB choral pdfs, three staff organ, two staff piano, piano plus vocal…. Anything and everything.
    But I miss Passantio Brands books with that 40lb yellow paper ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, M,
    I use 8 1/2"x11" manuscript paper. You can store the sheets in file folders labeled: Classical, Jazz, Chords, Scales, Phrases, Progressions, etc. Much can be discarded in months/years after mastery.
    Marinero
    I've done that but, again, the papers I have gotten in the past have seemed shoddy.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Search online for pdfs of manuscript paper, get some heavy weight printer paper and laser print your own.
    You can find free downloads of all sorts of layouts including ones with chord boxes at the top and (God forbid))) tab staffs.
    If youre off the wall like me theres SATB choral pdfs, three staff organ, two staff piano, piano plus vocal…. Anything and everything.
    But I miss Passantio Brands books with that 40lb yellow paper ?
    I have gone that route before, but prefer to work with notebooks; plus, my printer stinks.

That Passantio tip, however... THAT'S the sort of thing I am looking for. There is stuff on Amazon with their name; just ordered a notebook to try out.
    Last edited by micpoch; 05-20-2022 at 07:30 AM. Reason: adding info and link

User Info Menu

I use this.

Manuscript Notebooks, Anyone?-hal-leonard-green-mss-book-jpg

I also have loose leaf mss paper which is good for finished pieces (or chord charts.) But this is my workaday manuscript paper. Riffs, melodies, song ideas, lyric jottings, whatever.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by micpoch
    Any recommendations? I have a good software notation app but sometimes I want to write stuff; it seems easier to get thoughts out that way. I have had some in the past that are really flimsy or with paper that is prone to curling.
    Make it with MS Word or any application that will let you make a table.

Create a 4-row table, single column, full page width. At the end of the table put a CR/LF ("enter" key) or two, for whatever spacing you like between staves. Copy and paste that construction 10 or 12 times.

Then, for each table only, select a small font size, whatever works for you, for each staff, i.e. for each 4-row table. You'll end up with as many staves as you want on a page. If you don't like the vertical lines at the left and right of the table you can turn those off.

Save the file. Then you just print it out whenever you need it.

-----

You can make great-staff music paper similarly. Make a 9-row, single column table, proceed as above, but place the cursor inside the middle row and hit enter several times until the top and bottom staves are as far apart as you want them.