The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Ray

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

and when Larry sped up to accomodate Bireli.....

Bassist is awesome too........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    "If I could I'd give you this guitar right now" ...non non .....

"Tu aimes cette guitare Sylvain? les acoustiques sont très très bonnes......" Sylvain nods approvingly...

Inestimables moments, merci RJVB

Ray

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayS
    "If I could I'd give you this guitar right now" ...non non .....
    You almost got the inflection right

It's a priceless moment indeed, not entirely up to Henri Cartier Bresson composition standards but certainly in his spirit (to keep the French Connection alive).

This kind a backstage videos are often a great way to get a more complete (and sometimes very different) picture of players. Forgetting a bit about the French aspect, there's a similar video of Tommy Emmanuel checking out an archtop by a(nother) iconic builder. Couldn't find it now, but I did enjoy this one:

(is that On Broadway?)

You almost got the inflection right

It's a priceless moment indeed, not entirely up to Henri Cartier Bresson composition standards but certainly in his spirit (to keep the French Connection alive).

This kind a backstage videos are often a great way to get a more complete (and sometimes very different) picture of players. Forgetting a bit about the French aspect, there's a similar video of Tommy Emmanuel checking out an archtop by a(nother) iconic builder. Couldn't find it now, but I did enjoy this one:

(is that On Broadway?)
    Wasn't it Kenny Burrell that offered Ken Parker $1000. (US I guess ) for his guitar he had been using live ...?

Ray

User Info Menu

Wasn't it Kenny Burrell that offered Ken Parker $1000. (US I guess ) for his guitar he had been using live ...?
    I'm not enough of a Ken Parker groupie to know that sort of trivia
    I don't know if Ken's instruments are what I prefer in an archtop but I do hope that offer was in zest...!

User Info Menu

Forgetting a bit about the French aspect, there's a similar video of Tommy Emmanuel checking out an archtop by a(nother) iconic builder. Couldn't find it now
    Found it, also a Parker archtop (2, in fact; duelling starts a bit after 6:00), and there's a formal French Connection to Django

I'm not enough of a Ken Parker groupie to know that sort of trivia
    I don't know if Ken's instruments are what I prefer in an archtop but I do hope that offer was in zest...!
    Ohhh Ken was quite insulted and, needless to say, K Burrell never had a Ken Parker to play with after that..... or so the story goes 58'57". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
    w-bS0k
    ........I've never had my hands on a K parker though but at his prices I know I never will...... ken P seems like a peculiar fellow with his own ideas, as far as I know Sylvain Luc still plays Godin(made right here in Montreal)

Ray
    Last edited by RayS; 05-19-2022 at 08:42 PM.

User Info Menu

and when Larry sped up to accomodate Bireli.....

Bassist is awesome too........
    I saw these two, along with Al Di Meola when they went on a tour. I'm glad it started in Southern California since the tour ended after a few shows due to what I understood was Al having too big of a head. E.g. Al comes out on stage in a fancy white suit; Bireli; jeans and a t-shirt! Larry was also much more causal.

This wasn't that long after the San Francisco trio album with McLaughlin and De Lucia so yea, Al was the biggest attraction. My favorite part of the show was when Larry and Bireli did two songs as a duo. Hey, Al was good and he played some of his hits like Mediterranean Sundance but I still preferred hearing Larry and Bireli playing standards.

Found it, also a Parker archtop (2, in fact; duelling starts a bit after 6:00), and there's a formal French Connection to Django
    Ah! more French connections my friend (6 degrees of separation?)..

Hijacking my own thread....

A long time ago, I engineered FOH sound to Martin T and Stéphane Grappelli..in Montreal....at the end of the show the crowd stood up in almost hysterics, they wanted more ..all bunched up and crowding us at foh, suddenly one or a few members of the audience leaned on my console disconnect .. (I'm center of the house in the audience with a midas xl4-48) Large bang in PA..... I'm calling back stage on comms to let stage mgr know the situation ie: no audio until I can reconnect, kill the PA so I can repatch the disconnect!..... crowd is calling for "encore" ..... A true gentlemen, Mr Grappelli after being informed of the situation, walks up to the front of the stage says to audience "unfortunately the audio system is down so, we will have to do the next "pièce" acoustique , comme au temps de Django" ! .... That's what the audience had been waiting for all night "the real Django connection " no amplification! They went wild, sat back down and all went quiet.....You could have heard a pin drop in that theatre......All I remember from that show was when my system went down and i was no longer needed! And that's also when I first heard of Martin Taylor!

Ray

I tried out this Ken Parker acoustic archtop. It was quite a long tome ago at a guitar show (Healdsburg?). When I saw it it intrigued me. I didn’t know who Ken Parker was. I asked him whether I could try it out and to my surprise, he said “Yes”. So, we sauntered off to a little room and Ken told me about the neck that raises up and down using a hex Key. It can be done on the fly to make small action adjustments. Remarkable ingenuity. Anyway, I started to play this unusual guitar and liked the acoustic quality. It really can be played without an amp. The sound hole is odd, but I guess it’s more about artistic license than sound. Maybe I’m being unfair. Impressed, I asked how much it was. Ken replied “thirty”. “Wow”, I responded with astonishment. “How can you make money selling at 30 dollars”, not realizing the fool I was making of myself. “No”, he replied sternly, “thirty thousand”. In a state of complete shock, and not wishing to be held liable for any belt buckle scratches, I thrust the guitar back to him with such gusto, it surprised us both. The atmosphere became immediately heavily pregnant with an embarrassing pause, neither of us knowing quite what to say next. The moral of the story: Ask the price before asking to try it.

As luck would have it, I stumbled across a luthier who studied under Ken Parker, and he made me a guitar with the same technology, but at a much lower price.

User Info Menu

That's what the audience had been waiting for all night "the real Django connection " no amplification! They went wild, sat back down and all went quiet.....You could have heard a pin drop in that theatre......
    I can relate to that! Reminds me of the 1st and only concert of Doug Macleod I've had the chance to attend. He was late due to traffic and the venue being in a really old little town off the beaten paths (still possible in the Netherlands!). I don't know how but at some point I got the green light to go up in the attic while Doug was still setting up there, and clearly (and surprisingly) being grumpy at the sound guy in the back. "Nope. That's not how my guitar sounds. And yes, I do know how she sounds!" (she being Moon, his National tricone). In the end he moved the mic out of the way, unplugged and said he'd just do it acoustically, adding not without glee that the audience approved, just lil' old me giving a big thumbs-up. He was still plenty loud on the 1st row .
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Y0bI4yUMp7K18x

I'm not going to pretend there's a French connection here ... although ... there must be some given how the music evolved in places that were partly French at some time, and through people who probably partly got there because of certain French "traders"