The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    anyone heard of him? Just discovered him tonight and I'm hooked listen to the bass and drums ....wow...





    Ray

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    He's one of my favorites and a terribly unappreciated musician. He has chops to burn, but he only uses them to express himself - he never shows off. He's one of a group of modern greats with the same approach to playing. If you love him, check out Randy Johnston and Jack Wilkins for two more great players with balanced taste and chops.

    My favorite Affif album is Vierd Blues:


  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Ron Affif was a long time Buscarino player (maybe still is) and played at the Long Island shows in the 90's with Paul Bollenbeck et al. I love watching him enjoying music so much when performing. And a nice gentleman as well.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by stringmann
    Ron Affif was a long time Buscarino player (maybe still is) and played at the Long Island shows in the 90's with Paul Bollenbeck et al. I love watching him enjoying music so much when performing. And a nice gentleman as well.
    Interesting, I've only seen him w his D'aquisto

  6. #5

    User Info Menu


  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    He was featured a lot in Just Jazz Guitar magazine. Great player!

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    There are a few videos online where he plays. He also has a solo guitar album ("Solotude") where he plays amazingly, and quite differently from his busy style in group material.


  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    I have all of his released albums and think he is a superb straight ahead jazz guitarist. But the fact that he hasn't done an album in many years informs me that being a superb straight ahead jazz guitarist today and $3 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have all of his released albums and think he is a superb straight ahead jazz guitarist. But the fact that he hasn't done an album in many years informs me that being a superb straight ahead jazz guitarist today and $3 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    What I always found most interesting about him is that he was an amateur boxer of sorts, which seemed stange to me for a guitar player. Hs father was a pro boxer who taught him enough to be decent, although both father and son were / are peaceful and pleasant people to whom fighting was a last resort in their personal lives. He's still active as a guitarist and was interviewed by Jazz Guitar Today last year. He discusses Buscarino in that interview, saying:

    • "John Buscarino called me to have a guitar made but I wasn’t familiar with his work so told him to send me something. He told me he had something with some minor imperfections but the wood was special. Once I played the first chord I just kept it. It’s also a great recording guitar. It’s great in every setting. I’m very lucky to have it."

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Thx to all , some really interesting info on my new fav guitarist....



    Ray

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have all of his released albums and think he is a superb straight ahead jazz guitarist. But the fact that he hasn't done an album in many years informs me that being a superb straight ahead jazz guitarist today and $3 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    "$3?!" Wow, where's your Starbucks?! More like $5!


  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    "$3?!" Wow, where's your Starbucks?! More like $5!

    I hate Starbucks, but I got a small...I'm sorry, "tall" Americano there the other day and I'm pretty sure it was under $3.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    I've enjoyed Ron Affif for a long time. He's got so much energy and drive, listening to him makes my heart race and that's hard to do. My old heart is a slow slapper.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    He is still pretty active in the NY live scene. His uncle was Ron Antony, Frank Sinatra's guitarist, and Affif sites him as a major influence.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    He's one of my favorites and a terribly unappreciated musician. He has chops to burn, but he only uses them to express himself - he never shows off. He's one of a group of modern greats with the same approach to playing. If you love him, check out Randy Johnston and Jack Wilkins for two more great players with balanced taste and chops.

    My favorite Affif album is Vierd Blues:

    I immediately downloaded two albums 52nd Street and Vierd Blues, thanks for the heads up, a fabulous player

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I hate Starbucks, but I got a small...I'm sorry, "tall" Americano there the other day and I'm pretty sure it was under $3.
    Ha! Yeah, I only go to my local roaster, but my high school kid goes to 'bucks -- glad she has a job!

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Wow - beyond superb. Stunning. Thanks for posting.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Love his solo album, lots to work on and learn from… thanks for the reminder! I recall a great version of Dolphin Dance, need to get back to working on that one.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Yeah it's great. I have the cd, and as he says in the linear notes, it was all improvised, he just went into the studio and played through the tunes, no premade arrangements.. Judging from various videos where he plays solo guitar gigs live I believe him!

  21. #20
    Ron is a superb player. I've been listening to him for many years.