The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    This is a good example. This isn't jazz (this specific clip anyway). There's almost no harmonic content at all. It's rap or funk.
    Yeah it's not jazz. He was the "godfather of Go-Go."

I missed out on seeing him when I lived in Washington in the 90's--rarely went to concerts at that time, much less hip-hop club shows LOL, except for the symphony. I think I saw Pat Metheny and Steely Dan while I lived there.

Chuck Brown is perhaps more famous among the general public as being a mentor to and collaborator with Eva Cassidy.

He could play and sing jazz though...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Once you label me you negate me - Soren Kierkegaard

Kamasi Washington is so far removed from Hip Hop. And he produces fabulous music, that even I who begrudge anything after 1964, had to give props too. I discovered his music via a soundtrack of the Spy Thriller series Homeland. I spent a day trying to track the music down because I didn’t know the name of the Artist. Was I ever grateful to discover him. Stop your labeling. You just might discover something new.

I realize your point but Kierkegaard was talking about labelling an individual person.

We humans are inveterate categorizers. And if we are thoughtful, we try to draw connections.

Darwin could have just said "those are beautiful birds, let's not label them", but he was drawn to categorize them.

What got me thinking of categories is listening to some new music--Snarky Puppy among others--and trying to figure out "was it jazz" and what influences are in there. I can't speak for everyone else, but that's the way my brain works. I don't listen to a piece of music or look at a piece of art without thinking about what came before and how it fits into the larger picture of music and art.

User Info Menu

Beautiful duet though. Man, she can sing!!

User Info Menu

I was thinking, Joni Mitchell wishes she could sing half as good as Eva. But they’re entirely different singers.

This song is played at funerals, because it’s that beautiful. Eva died young in her 30’s. The world lost a rare and very talented singer and guitarist.

User Info Menu

She was influenced by jazz, blues, contemporary, she was so versatile. Thanks for turning me on to Eva Cassidy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    How does that hip hop thing work, in terms of hip hop being completely on the grid, done in pro tools, with no swing? And jazz players are trained to play with swing, so how does it work together? Genuine question, and Im not being anti hip hop here.
    This is great video to find out more about hip hop / jazz connection:

User Info Menu

Nothing new under the sun, boys and girls, nothing new...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by akubra
    This is great video to find out more about hip hop / jazz connection:

Whose guiding them to all of these iconic bass lines?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jazz today is a catch-all term for contemporary acts that formed in music school.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Jazz today is a catch-all term for contemporary acts that formed in music school.
    You better duck, Litterick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    What is jazz today?-ad357428-302b-48bc-b879-6f5ba4c9810f-jpeg