The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

Waiting for a bus yesterday. Social distancing and mask wearing mostly by wayside now. By the bus stop is a bar with an outdoor patio that faces the sidewalk. The band was pumping out Marshall Tucker's Can't You See. The guitarist was soloing while playing an Explorer and toking on a joint with a girl that was dancing in front of him. She was holding the joint so that he could toke while he was playing. Good times!

Btw, he was pretty much note for note.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I'm with you most of the way brother Jimmy, but the cancer link is actually questioned by many. Check this out. I don't know the truth...I'm sure there are studies to the contrary...but this was a major study from a reasonable source. It might be intriguing to some:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-9e725a376e5a/

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection
    May 26, 2006

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer. The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Weird, huh?

That is counter-intuitive. UCLA medical has a good reputation so that gives it legitimacy in my mind. Being from 2006 I would think there would be some additional studies and peer reviews. I wonder how those turned out.

My oncologist said to me when I asked about marijuana, he said light doses are okay but don't smoke it. I'm on immune suppression mediations and he said the immediate risk to me from smoking is pneumonia from spores and bacteria. He also said frequent and long-term and especially higher doses will affect one's cognitive abilities.

MARIJUANA AND CANCER - Marijuana as Medicine? - NCBI Bookshelf
    People with cancer who use marijuana say that it benefits them in several ways: by quelling nausea, suppressing vomiting, increasing appetite, relieving pain, and soothing anxiety. Clinical studies indicate that marijuana does none of these things as well as the best medications available, but marijuana has the apparent advantage of treating several symptoms simultaneously. Medicines based on certain chemicals in marijuana could also be used to complement standard medications or to treat patients for whom such therapies have failed.
    There is also the marijuana vs. alcohol discussion. Those disapproving of marijuana while okay with drinking alcohol... that doesn't make sense to me. Alcohol is much more dangerous and unhealthy than marijuana. Both have their pros and cons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    ^ There are dui deaths caused by weed. My mom's husband was a police officer and said he encountered them. Also, it's not a totally benign 'plant'. You wouldn't smoke it if it was just a plant lol. My brother developed mental illness from his weed use. We think it was a combination of genetic factors and the weed.
    In a 20 year career, all from working the streets, I never observed a single weed DUI. It was always alcohol. Always. And it was a very common occurrence. Every weekend night crews of DUI officers were out searching for DUI drivers, and they’d always find them. Every Friday and Saturday night. Multiple DUI’s per shift. Why do you think groups like MADD have been campaigning against drunk drivers forever? Where’s the campaign against weed smokers and driving deaths? It’s non existent, that’s where. So to suggest that marijuana DUI’s is a thing, it simply isn’t.

User Info Menu

During the late 60's and 70's I played many gigs in some very seedy dives back in the day and saw some weird shit, including drug use, drug dealing, crazy behavior by patrons stoned on acid, questionable drugs and worse. Some unscrupulous street-level weed dealers added toxic ingredients to their stash. I don't use marijuana but have been told that the additives increased marijuana sales by 'diluting' the batch, or the sellers claim it to be a 'stronger' batch to increase the smoker's high. Fast-forward to the 21st century, sellers of any street drug including weed, might lace it with fentonyl, for a once and done fatal smoke.
    No thanks!

Back in the 70's dealers would 'cut' the weed with Phencyclidine or phenylcyclohexyl piperidine, (aka angel dust or PCP), claiming the hallucinogen would take smokers to a higher high. Mostly it sent smokers to the ER...or worse.

Yes, some would be pulled over for allege DUI, but that was due to cops waiting for the clubs to close, then looking for erratic driving or pretext stops due to busted tail lights. Seeing this as an under-age teen playing in nightclubs made me very careful, and permanently turned me off to non-prescription drugs or weed.

User Info Menu

Driving while stoned LOL...

User Info Menu

Instead of being downtrodden over smoking weed in your youth. Where’s the good time memories?

You see, this has always been the hypocrisy surrounding drug use. How old were you before having your first drink?

I was 13. That’s 8th grade. It was the so called spiked punch at the neighborhood party. Which led to drinking Boones Farm wine. Who here recalls drinking Ripple as a kid? Ripple was the wine of choice in the’hood. It was cheap, accessible, available at every corner liquor store in California.

Then in high school most every kid is drinking beer. Not me, for I was too kool for school, I was sippin’ Chevas Regas scotch. We’d sneak in to my girlfriend’s Dad’s supply. All while going down the street to the neighborhood park to get high, smokin’ Mexican weed, which was fairly weak stuff.

My point is that those are some of the fondest memories of my childhood. I always think back to the best high I ever had at 16 drinking MacGregor scotch and smoking a joint with my friend Richard. That was truly the best high I ever had, while cracking jokes all the way home.

And you think kids aren’t being exposed to booze?We’d send Kenny Taylor in to buy it for us. Kenny was 220 pounds, and had a beard at 16. Hah! Man, what planet are you from? I can’t believe you made me recall the memory of drinking Ripple, which I haven’t had in 50 years! Hey, I guess the mind isn’t broken!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Instead of being downtrodden over smoking weed in your youth. Where’s the good time memories?

You see, this has always been the hypocrisy surrounding drug use. How old were you before having your first drink?

I was 13. That’s 8th grade. It was the so called spiked punch at the neighborhood party. Which led to drinking Boones Farm wine. Who here recalls drinking Ripple as a kid? Ripple was the wine of choice in the’hood. It was cheap, accessible, available at every corner liquor store in California.

Then in high school most every kid is drinking beer. Not me, for I was too kool for school, I was sippin’ Chevas Regas scotch. We’d sneak in to my girlfriend’s Dad’s supply. All while going down the street to the neighborhood park to get high, smokin’ Mexican weed, which was fairly weak stuff.

My point is that those are some of the fondest memories of my childhood. I always think back to the best high I ever had at 16 drinking MacGregor scotch and smoking a joint with my friend Richard. That was truly the best high I ever had, while cracking jokes all the way home.

And you think kids aren’t being exposed to booze?We’d send Kenny Taylor in to buy it for us. Kenny was 220 pounds, and had a beard at 16. Hah! Man, what planet are you from? I can’t believe you made me recall the memory of drinking Ripple, which I haven’t had in 50 years! Hey, I guess the mind isn’t broken!

Never had Ripple. Boone's Farm, on the other hand....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

We used to chip in and get one of those gallon jugs of Carlo Rossi occasionally. Ugh, that stuff was terrible! lol Still though, good times We eventually chipped in and bought a tap, and then would get half kegs and a sleeve of large cups from the local Carvel ice cream store and that was more fun.

User Info Menu

Given the overwhelming number of dispensaries in OKC, where weed is still only medical, not recreational yet, I surmise that no sub group of society is much, if any more likely to spark one up. Soccer moms, their kids and grandparents in all walks of life. I have an edible a couple times a year, it turns me into a complete idiot and so my wife prefers to not witness the proceedings. Not advocating it but if I have to choose a source of intoxication, alcohol beats weed 99 out a 100.
    Fwiw, Oklahoma is the easiest state in the country to get a license to open a dispensary so they are everywhere here.

Few points to make reading all this as the original poster.

1. The original reason for starting the thread was basically trying to figure out if the difficulties I have playing jazz after a spliff were shared by others, it seems that that is the case.... however I have a positive update on this matter!

Seems like comping is fine, esp when I really know a chord progression, its just soloing that goes off, so I'm half way there to achieving the dream lol.

2. What I found surprising was the amount of 'old fashioned' and moralistic responses to the issue of marijiana in general:

- why have some gone off and got started about the likes of Parker and their heroin/hard drug addictions and 'drugs in the music world' in general? To lump herb in with those things is a complete misunderstanding of it and its users motivations. This kind of attitude is very tedious to someone like me who has a completely sorted life, career etc and is extremely healthy. It detracts from a more mature discussion.

- and then we have all the people talking about scientific studies showing un proven dangers etc... is there really any need for this? If someone posted a thread called i dunno, 'jazz players favourite whiskey'.. would people chip in about the dangers of alcohol, or have a nice grown up and pragmatic discussion about different types of whiskey... the latter I would hope.

I'm a bit disappointed by the thread in general if I'm honest. I was hoping for a more mature discussion, it seems like a lot of people who responded have some outdated opinions and attitudes.

User Info Menu

The reason some of us mentioned Parker, hard drugs, booze etc. was to illustrate that many jazz musicians have been able to function at a high level musically while under the influence of all kinds of substances. Which I believe is relevant to your original question, it suggests that real ability can trump everything else.

Personally I am not interested in the stuff as I do not smoke, and in any case it’s illegal where I live.

I do like a nice single malt, but I doubt it would help my playing much!

User Info Menu

Happy 420 to you all!