Wow!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Treme : 2010 - 2013

Wow!
    +1

User Info Menu

No matter what you do, you’ll never be as cool as a Mardi Gras Indian.

No really. Before this thread disappears amongst string, cable and tuner threads, if you like music check it out.

Yellowstone - Terrible.

I don't care about any of these characters.

User Info Menu

Last great show I watched was Mare of Easttown.

User Info Menu

I'm going to check out Treme.

User Info Menu

Yellowstone - Terrible.

A few weeks back my wife and I went to visit her best friend and her fairly new husband (I had know her friend for over 25 years but this was the first time I meet her husband).

We have dinner and he mentions what he feels is the best T.V. show out there; Yellowstone. He starts to explain each of the main characters and they all sound very unlikeable. He even kind-of stops himself midway because even he realized, the way he was discussing the characters they didn't have any redeeming qualities. I didn't say much, but after words I asked my wife if she noticed that and she did.

For these type of soap opera type T.V. series, viewers have to have someone that can root for (i.e. care about). Hard to get behind a show where all one wants is to see each of the selfish a-holes get what is coming to them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    A few weeks back my wife and I went to visit her best friend and her fairly new husband (I had know her friend for over 25 years but this was the first time I meet her husband).

We have dinner and he mentions what he feels is the best T.V. show out there; Yellowstone. He starts to explain each of the main characters and they all sound very unlikeable. He even kind-of stops himself midway because even he realized, the way he was discussing the characters they didn't have any redeeming qualities. I didn't say much, but after words I asked my wife if she noticed that and she did.

For these type of soap opera type T.V. series, viewers have to have someone that can root for (i.e. care about). Hard to get behind a show where all one wants is to see each of the selfish a-holes get what is coming to them!
    That's why I didn't understand the appeal of Fleabag. I wanted to smack the lead character, especially when she was mugging for the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal

This is interesting as it made me think of The Sopranos which I think is terrific yet all the characters are loathsome. The difference is The Sopranos is well written and the cast is compelling despite their odium.

User Info Menu

Yellowstone - Terrible.

Yeah some “overacting” going on there especially the daughter. Costner is always solid though. They featured a Waterloo* guitar in one episode.

For a sleeper series check out Bloodline.

* Collings Guitars line that emulates depression era guitars

User Info Menu

Dang, from the thread title I was expecting this:

User Info Menu

Me too!

User Info Menu

This is interesting as it made me think of The Sopranos which I think is terrific yet all the characters are loathsome. The difference is The Sopranos is well written and the cast is compelling despite their odium.
    When talking to my wife about Yellowstone, I also mentioned The Sopranos. The difference there was that there were some sympathetic characters, like Tony's wife, and even Tony to some-degree. E.g. how he had to deal with his nephew. But yea, only "some-degree" but with the fine writing and cast the main characters were still compelling thus drawing one in.

User Info Menu

With few exceptions I can't get into the gangster stuff. I don't like the way musicians are represented in gangster movies.
    I get sick of all the violence.
    I like anything with zombies because zombies aren't real.

If Eugene dies, we riot.

User Info Menu

Hollywood- musicians are punks.

Yeah well who are all these MeToo actresses with now?

User Info Menu

I only watch Korean dramas. Daebak!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I only watch Korean dramas. Daebak!
    What is it with you and your 90's R&B? That's what K-pop is based on.
    I know it's fun.

Train to Busan was awesome. High octane Korean zombies.

Yellowstone looks like an outdated right wing fantasy. Come to the desert, Kevin.

What's Daebak all about? I'll find out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    What is it with you and your 90's R&B? That's what K-pop is based on.
    I know it's fun.

Train to Busan was awesome. High octane Korean zombies.

Yellowstone looks like an outdated right wing fantasy. Come to the desert, Kevin.

What's Daebak all about? I'll find out.
    (Daebak just means "awesome".)

K-Pop is a magpie, it grabs anything that looks shiny. Rap was shiny...

(So '90s, that! Those guys really did love snowboarding...)

Hip-hop was shiny

Now it's more about boy groups and girl groups

(Don't get me started on why a 10-person group is called Pentagon, not Decagon!)

(Yes, I do think they know what cookie is slang for)

User Info Menu

... but as for TV and K-dramas, they just more varied and fun compared to what I see from other countries. And the beauty standards for women, well, I can't complain

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    (Daebak just means "awesome".)

K-Pop is a magpie, it grabs anything that looks shiny. Rap was shiny...

(So '90s, that! Those guys really did love snowboarding...)

Hip-hop was shiny

Now it's more about boy groups and girl groups

(Don't get me started on why a 10-person group is called Pentagon, not Decagon!)

(Yes, I do think they know what cookie is slang for)
    One site says, who is your NewJeans bias? (among the girls).

The ones that aren't underage. No sense in going all Led Zeppelin at this point.

I have to check out more Korean movies.

User Info Menu

The ones that aren't underage. No sense in going all Led Zeppelin at this point.

My only bias is Geummi from Crayon Pop (checks: she's 34 today). She's the blue crayon.

(Great synth bass!)

User Info Menu

I've been crazy about Korean movies for some time now.=, and it ain't just the women.
    It started with Memories of Murder, to A Tale of Two Sisters, and then a host of others including The Wailing, and The Chaser.

User Info Menu

The Wailing was good.

Kim Dickens is in Treme. People are hot or cold with her. I like her.

User Info Menu

Heads up on a film that may not be out yet outside of Korea: Decision to Leave - Wikipedia, from the director of Old Boy.

Interview: Director Park-Chan wook on his film Decision to Leave | q with Tom Power | Live Radio | CBC Listen