The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 107
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    The Wailing was good.

Kim Dickens is in Treme. People are hot or cold with her. I like her.
    Very strong role. Have snacks ready.

Melissa Leo is excellent too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Heads up on a film that may not be out yet outside of Korea: Decision to Leave - Wikipedia, from the director of Old Boy.

Interview: Director Park-Chan wook on his film Decision to Leave | q with Tom Power | Live Radio | CBC Listen
    Thanks for the heads up, I love Park-Chan-Wook's work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    When talking to my wife about Yellowstone, I also mentioned The Sopranos. The difference there was that there were some sympathetic characters, like Tony's wife, and even Tony to some-degree. E.g. how he had to deal with his nephew. But yea, only "some-degree" but with the fine writing and cast the main characters were still compelling thus drawing one in.
    The beauty part of Sopranos is that David Chase started it out with Tony’s psychotherapy. Absolutely brilliant. Because who can’t relate to someone with problems?

The thing about The Sopranos is that, if you are a parent especially, you will see yourself in Tony and Carmela’s shoes. If you have had business or relationship problems, same thing. If you feel looked down upon because of your background, etc.

You would have to be an exclusive person NOT to sympathize and empathize with Tony Soprano as he struggles against the weight of the world, and of course occasionally he “wins”, for awhile at least. Not that we have to agree with his approach to problem solving. But the struggle is the same.

I think my daughter, who is a new fan of The Sopranos, appreciates Meadow for having to deal with imperious parents as she tries to carve out her on way in life.

Now back to Yellowstone, I saw a couple of episodes, and it is fun to some extent in a different way. I didn’t really look for political signs in it. Kevin Costner is very good in the role he was born to play. It’s kind of like a Dallas for the Facebook era. I didn’t like it enough to extend a Paramount Plus membership though. It’s no Sopranos.

User Info Menu

We are watching the Great British Baking Show. Sad to see Kevin go, of course. What a nice guy…and Scottish…my people.

I can relate to it. I like to cook. I like to eat. I would not want to be judged by Paul.

We watched a couple of episodes of the Guillermo del Toro series Cabinet of Curiosities. First 2 episodes were OK. Good performances and makeup/effects and production values. Rather silly stories, but then who’s expecting Shakespeare in 45 minutes? I read that the other episodes are better. GF doesn’t like gore, so she may not watch the rest with me.

User Info Menu

Poldark, anyone? One of the best swashbuckling historical fiction shows ever, IMO. Ross Poldark, a man’s man, intrepid, erudite, articulate, fearless, slightly flawed, up against evil money, famine, poverty, lost love, new love, societal dictates, fatherhood…. Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

A friend highly recommends Sons of Anarchy. I'll watch for the cast. There's Treme.
    How could they cancel Black Mirror?

I'm getting fussy in my old age. No supernatural, gangsters, or excessive violence.

No kids with superpowers or goth whatever. I passed on Game of Thrones.

User Info Menu

Sons Of Anarchy may not be your cup of tea then: gangster bikers, basically, but with a kind of Hamlet thing going on. I was enjoying it, but stopped watching for some reason and never really felt the urge to start again later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    Sons Of Anarchy may not be your cup of tea then: gangster bikers, basically, but with a kind of Hamlet thing going on. I was enjoying it, but stopped watching for some reason and never really felt the urge to start again later.
    Bikers used to like blues. I've spent plenty of time around them. I hear they're into death metal now or something like that.
    I'd lose interest if that's the case.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 10-30-2022 at 02:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Poldark, anyone? One of the best swashbuckling historical fiction shows ever, IMO. Ross Poldark, a man’s man, intrepid, erudite, articulate, fearless, slightly flawed, up against evil money, famine, poverty, lost love, new love, societal dictates, fatherhood…. Highly recommended!
    I saw the original back in the 70's. I had quite a crush on his redheaded wife, Demelza, played by Angharad Rees. IIRC there was a bit of skin in the show, as was common with BBC productions from the time (like I, Claudius).

The beauty of those BBC shows was they were high class soap operas. You could watch them without feeling guilty.

Twilight Zone.

Mid-Century American angst.

Big budget, well shot - good music.

User Info Menu

Haven't watched much television since "Benny Hill" went off the air. "I, Claudius" was good but that was a long time ago. And the original "Twilight Zone"s with Rod Serling were good little dramas well-written and well-acted. An occasional "Nova", "Secrets of the Dead", "Frontline", "American Masters", Ken Burns stuff. "Laurel and Hardy"

User Info Menu

Check out, Emily The Criminal, on Netflix. So good I watched it twice.

User Info Menu

Absolutely wonderful series on Netflix from Korea called Extraordinary Attorney Woo. To quote my wife... " it is fucking delightful".

She also happened to recently watch a series called Succession; I did not watch it but saw bits and pieces throughout, enough to confirm that every single character is an asshole. To be fair, I thought Mad Men was great but again almost every significant character was unlikable, right down to the children of the main characters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

The beauty of those BBC shows was they were high class soap operas. You could watch them without feeling guilty.
    .. e.g. - the Sherlock Holmes series - both Cumberbatch and Jeremy Brett......and then the Whitechapel murders.............

Just better all around ....

User Info Menu

some well known:
    - True Detective
    - Fargo

some less known:
    - Counterpart
    - Severance
    - Dopesick (no doubt)
    - The Leftovers

some dividing:

- Foundation
    - Brave New World

some classic:
    - Battlestar Galactica

some really classic in case someone wants to discuss:
    - Dallas :-)

The music in Family Guy is remarkable. Swinging arrangements, show tunes, orchestral.

Seth McFarland kept a lot of people working.

User Info Menu

Sewing Bee or Pottery Throwdown.

His Dark Materials was a good adaptation. Ruth Wilson is amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Sewing Bee or Pottery Throwdown.
    You're priceless!

User Info Menu

TV show music? I liked the faux-bebop theme to the Dick Cavett show. Not the original show, but the re-boot in the 80's.

Watching the idiot box?
    My excuse is: I'm retired. I have much more time now for nonsense like watching TV, lol
    That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it,

I usually download the entire series and binge watch over a few nights. Recent TV series that I think are worth your time:

Bosch...... 6 or 7 seasons. A very, very good cop show / police procedural, but it's way more than just that. Also, it has a continuation series, Bosch: Legacy which is one season in so far. I always liked Cyrus Welliver as an actor. I really got into it and watched the entire run over about two weeks.

Outer Range. Wow.
    starts slowly, sucking you in, lol. (I almost *hit-canned it, but I'm glad I didn't). Wyoming, cowboy life / rancher family drama, wide open spaces. But you realize there's an almost hallucinogenic David Lynch vibe to it, and it gets uh.....strange (in a good way). Only one season so far, doesn't look like it's gonna get renewed.

Taboo. Another one that didn't get picked-up for 2nd
    season. Tom Hardy is really good. I also dig the period verisimilitude. The dirty shirts and filthy teeth, lol. I always had a crush on Franka Potente and meenkia she looks rough in this one. But it's in keeping with her character. I hope to God she don't really look that bad now. The guy that plays Atticus, don't know his name but he's always solid. Good actor.

Wednesday. Cute. Aimed at a younger demographic. Jenna Ortega i
    s spooky-looking enough to play Wednesday Addams. Despite the boatload of PC tropes I really enjoyed this. Reminded me of a Grimm-lite. Ever see Grimm? Heck that's another one I can recommend. I was on it from season three until the end as a regular background extra in the precinct. It was fun.

I like science fiction type stuff but I haven't found much to watch there. I tried The Expanse but it didn't do anything for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Last great show I watched was Mare of Easttown.
    Watched all 7 episodes the other day. I know some people from that area (Delaware County, PA aka Delco). Kate Winslet did a great job getting that dialect down. Wawa!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    TV show music? I liked the faux-bebop theme to the Dick Cavett show. Not the original show, but the re-boot in the 80's.

Watching the idiot box?
    My excuse is: I'm retired. I have much more time now for nonsense like watching TV, lol
    That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it,

I usually download the entire series and binge watch over a few nights. Recent TV series that I think are worth your time:

Bosch...... 6 or 7 seasons. A very, very good cop show / police procedural, but it's way more than just that. Also, it has a continuation series, Bosch: Legacy which is one season in so far. I always liked Cyrus Welliver as an actor. I really got into it and watched the entire run over about two weeks.

Outer Range. Wow.
    starts slowly, sucking you in, lol. (I almost *hit-canned it, but I'm glad I didn't). Wyoming, cowboy life / rancher family drama, wide open spaces. But you realize there's an almost hallucinogenic David Lynch vibe to it, and it gets uh.....strange (in a good way). Only one season so far, doesn't look like it's gonna get renewed.

Taboo. Another one that didn't get picked-up for 2nd
    season. Tom Hardy is really good. I also dig the period verisimilitude. The dirty shirts and filthy teeth, lol. I always had a crush on Franka Potente and meenkia she looks rough in this one. But it's in keeping with her character. I hope to God she don't really look that bad now. The guy that plays Atticus, don't know his name but he's always solid. Good actor.

Wednesday. Cute. Aimed at a younger demographic. Jenna Ortega i
    s spooky-looking enough to play Wednesday Addams. Despite the boatload of PC tropes I really enjoyed this. Reminded me of a Grimm-lite. Ever see Grimm? Heck that's another one I can recommend. I was on it from season three until the end as a regular background extra in the precinct. It was fun.

I like science fiction type stuff but I haven't found much to watch there. I tried The Expanse but it didn't do anything for me.

If you like science fiction, you would probably like Stranger Things. There's also a German sci fi series called Dark. I saw the first season but haven't followed up with the second. Very creepy--kind of like a super-dark version of Stranger Things.

I second Wednesday. Extremely entertaining, and much more fun than I thought it would be. Great performances all around. The dance to The Cramps--priceless. Deservedly went viral. (Anything featuring The Cramps is worthwhile in my book.)

User Info Menu

If you like SF and appreciate dark humour, then I can't recommend Rick And Morty highly enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    You're priceless!
    I like cheery things

Actually the show I really like is Sort Your Life Out. Shows about tidying or redecorating get really deep fast.

User Info Menu

Only Murders in the Building

User Info Menu

Episodic tv is due a come back

im fed up of these things where you get swept up and watch 5 episodes on the trot