The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I've been going to local jams, they're at a bar and I assume the bar is paying the band. The band also puts out a tip jar for the night. As a jammer, am I expected to tip? What's the correct etiquette here?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

not typically but the band will like it. the problem w/jam sessions is all these musicians showing up but never buy a drink or patronize the establishment, they just play, hang out and go home. when that process keeps repeating itself, say goodbye to the jam session. the club owners aren't there to listen to people jam, they want people to spend money.

User Info Menu

Yeah, unfortunately for them I stopped drinking. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

User Info Menu

you can always buy a soft drink or some food if they serve any.

User Info Menu

When I was going to jam sessions I made it a point to buy a beer, at least. I never attended one where the band was paid, it was just people getting together, and someone had convinced the bar owner to let them, I suppose hoping to draw a few customers. Covid killed that entirely, at least for me.

User Info Menu

Think of it as the price of admission.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    What's the correct etiquette here?
    Pound booz, bust in and run 32nd notes like Coltrane.

User Info Menu

The 3-4 jam sessions that I go to vary. One club charges the equivalent of 20 bucks for a 4 hour monthly weekend afternoon session, including tea or coffee. It’s run by 2 pros, bass and piano, who play with everyone but are not a house band, i.e. they don’t do their own set. Participants call tunes and they accompany us. Sometimes other pros show up.

Another club has a jazz, funk, blues night every Wednesday, $5 cover plus 1 drink, so the club owner gets a minimum of $10 from each participant. He sits in when needed on bass or guitar. They also have an acoustic night every Friday that depending on who shows up can be a jazz jam. Same terms, 5 cover + 1 drink.

A third has Saturday night jam session every other week. No cover or minimum, most people buy at least two drinks. This place also has a dinner menu.

All seem to be doing well, even with corona curtailments. I think it may have something to do with community loyalty that plays a role. There was a blues club with a Tuesday night jam, but they didn’t survive corona.

Personally I’m happy to drive 30-40 minutes each for these sessions and to support the clubs that hold them, because on any given week there’s at least 2 sessions. It’s a blessing.

User Info Menu

I've been going to local jams, they're at a bar and I assume the bar is paying the band. The band also puts out a tip jar for the night. As a jammer, am I expected to tip? What's the correct etiquette here?
    I have to say I'm not sure what the problem is here. Why don't you just ask somebody? Or watch what the others are doing?

User Info Menu

Ragman, I am asking somebody. I'm asking you. I don't want to ask the band leader and seem like a cheap weirdo, and the other jammers all seem to be friends with each other and the house band.

All the threads can't be about where to start, Gibson bashing and celebrity gossip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    All seem to be doing well
    And that’s the rub. We have absolutely no way of knowing how well a business is doing financially. We don’t know how well it’s managed, how stable its financial base may be, and how much of the operating budget is covered by other people’s money. We don’t know what’s in the sausage, we don’t know how thin the operating margin really is, and we don’t know how close to insolvency the owner is (or even who the true owner is).

So I never count other people’s money. I decide what things are worth to me, and I try to be both fair and consistent in my decisions. I tip a few dollars even if all I have is a glass of water, even when I’m in the house band (which I am twice a week). FWIW, we don’t get the tip jar contents - we leave it all for the waitstaff and bartender. You might ask the bartender or waitstaff who gets the tips. It’s sometimes surprising, as is the sudden closure of so many venues that everybody thought were doing well.

User Info Menu

I don't know where all the used gear is these days. Maybe on Craigslist?

Oh sorry, wrong thread.

User Info Menu

Ragman, I am asking somebody. I'm asking you. I don't want to ask the band leader and seem like a cheap weirdo, and the other jammers all seem to be friends with each other and the house band.

All the threads can't be about where to start, Gibson bashing and celebrity gossip.
    Typically my wife will invite some of her friends and I'll invite a few; I don't need to encourage these folks to eat and drink (they do that regardless, ha ha).

But if it is a recurring jam than of course I can't expect these folks to show-up. Thus I'll stop going (or go way less often) letting others new-folks join the jam.

User Info Menu

IME, if the house band is putting out a tip jar it's unlikely the bar is also paying them. More likely, the bar is giving them some amount of food and drink on the house, but not cash. I sometimes tip, but not always (without getting into more details than anyone wants to hear, I contribute to the funding of the jam in other ways, but before I started doing that I always tipped). At other jams, occasionally hit, if there's I tip jar I generally put something in. I also always buy food and/or beverages (not necessarily alcohol), and always tip bartenders. It's the only way the jam eco-system survives.

User Info Menu

Yes, tip the band. Especially if you’re sitting in.

User Info Menu

If you value the chance to play jazz guitar in public with a rhythm section $15-$20 in the jar oughta cover it.

Drinking gets me playing worse so I either get tea and a sandwich or
    buy a round for the band.
    House wins, band wins, Sam plays!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Drinking gets me playing worse
    I don't like much of anything in my stomach while playing, so I don't consume more than a few ounces of water (or maybe a small glass of beer or wine, if my wife and friends are eating and drinking in the audience) before or during a gig. I've had the same routine for decades: eat a nice meal earlier in the day and consume little else until the gig is over. I empty my tanks before hitting the stage, and I'm good for however long I'm playing. Two weeks ago Thursday, I played a 3 hour concert (7 to 10) backing 11 vocalists at my regular club gig. They were all pretty excited and a few guests from the audience came up after the scheduled tunes were done - so I was on stage continuously from about 6 PM to about 10:45.

John, I think the use of a tip jar by a paid band varies with the pay scale and from location to location. In the greater Philadelphia area, most house bands at organized jams are paid and I rarely see a tip jar for them. We had an active blues jam scene and a few regular jazz jams, with weekly runs at the Twisted Tail, Ashburner, Rusty Nail, Crooked Eye Brewery, Manayunk Brewing Company, and many others with paid bands - and I never saw a tip jar at any of them. They're slowly coming back, and nothing seems to have changed. But before the music died, there were several low paying but popular dives at which even "featured" bands got paid peanuts, free beer, and tips. A typical local hole was good old South Street Blues, a true dump that paid the band $100 no matter how many were in it, and you could have all the draft beer you wanted. I remember several bands that put tip jars on stage there, although none of the ones with which I ever played there did that. Most of those places are permanently gone now.

But I've seen tip jars for many paid house bands at jams in the south and west. IME, it's more common at blues jams, acoustic open mic nights, etc than it is at jazz jams. And I know that a few of those tip jars were split among the band and the staff. The only problem with that is when tips are given directly to an individual or to the band directly, since all tips are supposed to be pooled. Once you see it happen, you have no desire to agee to that kind of arrangement again.