The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 89
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    also from 87'


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    also from 87'

    A crowd-pleasing dance-floor filling staple in my bands like, from the first week it came out. I miss my MTV!

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    also from 87'
    By pure chance, I had the same JVC mini line they use. As a matter of fact, I still use the receiver part of it as an amp.
    As you can see in this picture. It is turned sideways, to the left on the desk, under the shelf:

    The future is fake-1617149939627-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images The future is fake-19-96-thickbox-jpg 

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Reagan destroyed our gigs in California and the far east. So did the US army.

    They were careless. West coast rap was the beginning of cultural decline in the US.
    Cultural decline in the USA began with the European invasion a long time ago, in the UK it started in 55BC with the Romans.
    The rest is merely societies developing or changing. In 1000 years our shared language will no longer exist and a few millennia our land masses will be unrecognisable.
    My point is that everything is temporary.
    Take music, blues was originally a method of communication between enslaved tribal peoples, it became appropriated and changed from its original multi-tonal and variable nuances into something else quite different and acceptable to the western ear (there was only western classical before if one ignores the rest of the world ). Blues never existed before slavery. So disenfranchised black youth created Jazz, same thing happened again. Then came rap, poor subjugated young black guys invented a new method of communicating their rightful displeasure at being unequal. That too becomes mainstream western appropriation.
    All have been hated and called devils music at some point and blamed for the poisoning of society .
    rap can be really clever and entertaining, it's modern blues after all .
    Something else will develop over the next 30 years to take its place .
    The current developments in music will become obsolete and ways to rip off artists will change.
    it's what we've always done , everybody wants to sell what's already been sold.
    as newer technology develops, so does greed and more people get disenfranchised.

    This is not a rant or lecturer, merely my thoughts as I read this thread.
    everyone wants to be paid, some just want it more and will take from others to do so.
    It's what we've always done to each other since at least 55BC.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doktah B View Post
    It's what we've always done to each other since at least 55BC.
    I suspect it's* a tradition that goes a bit further back.

    * Expoitation

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doktah B
    Something else will develop over the next 30 years to take its place.

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    I suspect it's* a tradition that goes a bit further back.

    * Expoitation
    Speaking of exploitation, I've checked out your music, bloody top notch dude.
    I love that "waitin for the aliens", bit of billy gibbons inspiration in there?
    I like it so much I've been playing with ripping it off and doing my own version!
    mind you the only ones who will ever hear it is my geese and I'm not telling them its yours, I'm taking full credit!

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doktah B View Post
    Cultural decline in the USA began with the European invasion a long time ago, in the UK it started in 55BC with the Romans.
    The rest is merely societies developing or changing. In 1000 years our shared language will no longer exist and a few millennia our land masses will be unrecognisable.
    My point is that everything is temporary.
    Take music, blues was originally a method of communication between enslaved tribal peoples, it became appropriated and changed from its original multi-tonal and variable nuances into something else quite different and acceptable to the western ear (there was only western classical before if one ignores the rest of the world ). Blues never existed before slavery. So disenfranchised black youth created Jazz, same thing happened again. Then came rap, poor subjugated young black guys invented a new method of communicating their rightful displeasure at being unequal. That too becomes mainstream western appropriation.
    All have been hated and called devils music at some point and blamed for the poisoning of society .
    rap can be really clever and entertaining, it's modern blues after all .
    Something else will develop over the next 30 years to take its place .
    The current developments in music will become obsolete and ways to rip off artists will change.
    it's what we've always done , everybody wants to sell what's already been sold.
    as newer technology develops, so does greed and more people get disenfranchised.

    This is not a rant or lecturer, merely my thoughts as I read this thread.
    everyone wants to be paid, some just want it more and will take from others to do so.
    It's what we've always done to each other since at least 55BC.
    What boomers did in music was basically construction. Rap is deconstruction. A period of construction should follow....

    Still waiting.

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    What boomers did in music was basically construction. Rap is deconstruction. A period of construction should follow....

    Still waiting.
    Boomers — perhaps even more so than their forebears — were lucky to stumble into a merger of genres and traditions previously unknown, or under-known, to them. Boom! All they had to do was plug this pipe here into that pipe there and voilá, new music. (Yes, I oversimplify to make a point.)

    The 50s through the 70s was a great opening. Even the “discovery” of reggae for mainstream America, rather late in the day, was an inspiration.

    I’m sure invention will continue along other lines, such as through technology, but there was a time when so much music was considerably “new” to this or that population, and yet it was also still relevant, still relatable, still based on the same cultural foundation underneath it.

    Not sure we’ll see that again, remotely on that scale.

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Maybe our intense interest in popular music is no more than a trait of the Boomer and X generations. Maybe youth culture has now returned to normalcy – where music is a background to life, not its purpose.

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    "Cultural decline in the USA began with the European invasion a long time ago, in the UK it started in 55BC with the Romans." Doktah B

    Hi, D,
    More revisionist claptrap? Well . . . at least your friends won't deny you're "Woke." However, may I suggest a good read: "The History of the Decline of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon that traces Rome's decline to the very non-sequitur thinking of which I believe you are guilty.
    Marinero

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    What boomers did in music was basically construction. Rap is deconstruction. A period of construction should follow....

    Still waiting.
    Kendrick is definitely constructing something

    I always feel bad talking about him because I assume there are loads of artists who’ve paved the way for what he does and my head’s been too firmly wedged up my arse to know who they are. I’m sure Matz could school me.

    No doubt I sound like an embarrassing dad lol. Inevitable, I suppose and there’s worse things to be haha

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    "Cultural decline in the USA began with the European invasion a long time ago, in the UK it started in 55BC with the Romans." Doktah B

    Hi, D,
    More revisionist claptrap? Well . . . at least your friends won't deny you're "Woke." However, may I suggest a good read: "The History of the Decline of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon that traces Rome's decline to the very non-sequitur thinking of which I believe you are guilty.
    Marinero
    Well thank you, I couldn't think of any higher accolade.
    You are a kind considerate and well educated connoisseur of everything you hold to be true.
    I can only aspire to such greatness, however I am doomed to merest of mediocrity due to my poor education.
    my jazz playing also sucks but I also aspire to greater things there too.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    [QUOTE=Still waiting.[/QUOTE]

    Aren't we all, exciting times ahead!

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Kendrick is definitely constructing something

    I always feel bad talking about him because I assume there are loads of artists who’ve paved the way for what he does and my head’s been too firmly wedged up my arse to know who they are. I’m sure Matz could school me.

    No doubt I sound like an embarrassing dad lol. Inevitable, I suppose and there’s worse things to be haha
    This has nothing to do with your quote, however, how in the universe (see what I did there? no? you will) can you swap astronomy for jazz? Surely there is enough room in this galaxy for both (see, I did it again).
    My grandson has won awards for astrophotography, he's playing around with some giant dustbin sized scope right now, he's only just got it as his last 8" he broke doing some experimental photography.
    Anyhoo, back on topic.....Yay go jazzy stuff...

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doktah B View Post
    Well thank you, I couldn't think of any higher accolade.
    You are a kind considerate and well educated connoisseur of everything you hold to be true.
    I can only aspire to such greatness, however I am doomed to merest of mediocrity due to my poor education.
    my jazz playing also sucks but I also aspire to greater things there too.
    Look, D,
    We live in an age, today, where those who are patently ignorant of world history are attempting to rewrite it based on a camp Y2K sociological narrative. I am, formally, well-educated and that is why I challenged your remark. The problem with History, for some, is that they want to judge an era, historic figures, or events-- not within the context of its culture and time but by generations far removed using their "New Age" ideas of "right" and "wrong" and, in some cases, twisted, half-baked notions/standards of historic perspective. Slavery, an anathema to all today, was endemic to all world populations and it wasn't until the 18th Century that it began to be questioned by some Western cultures as a means of production. However, no culture is free from condemnation concerning slavery since it was a traditional practice of all warrior/conquering nations to take slaves for their personal and national benefit. The Vikings were among the great slave traders in the 10th Century A.D. and Arab merchants paid exorbitant prices for blonde, blue-eyed females for their harems as well as furs from the Arctic North. So, don't take it personally, D, but if we don't challenge these obtuse notions of History we will descend, once again, into the Dark Ages of thought, and for some, like me, we're on our way. Oh, by the way, did you know that our present historic national inflation, food shortages, gas prices, supply chain issues were caused directly by Vladimir Putin and not by our unconscionable, irresponsible deficit spending and dangerous "pay it tomorrow" mentality of our incompetent government that will deleteriously affect and burden future generations of unborn Americans? Oh, well . . . that's the spin today . . . What . . . me worry??
    Marinero

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    Look, D,
    We live in an age, today, where those who are patently ignorant of world history are attempting to rewrite it based on a camp Y2K sociological narrative. I am, formally, well-educated and that is why I challenged your remark. The problem with History, for some, is that they want to judge an era, historic figures, or events-- not within the context of its culture and time but by generations far removed using their "New Age" ideas of "right" and "wrong" and, in some cases, twisted, half-baked notions/standards of historic perspective. Slavery, an anathema to all today, was endemic to all world populations and it wasn't until the 18th Century that it began to be questioned by some Western cultures as a means of production. However, no culture is free from condemnation concerning slavery since it was a traditional practice of all warrior/conquering nations to take slaves for their personal and national benefit. The Vikings were among the great slave traders in the 10th Century A.D. and Arab merchants paid exorbitant prices for blonde, blue-eyed females for their harems as well as furs from the Arctic North. So, don't take it personally, D, but if we don't challenge these obtuse notions of History we will descend, once again, into the Dark Ages of thought, and for some, like me, we're on our way. Oh, by the way, did you know that our present historic national inflation, food shortages, gas prices, supply chain issues were caused directly by Vladimir Putin and not by our unconscionable, irresponsible deficit spending and dangerous "pay it tomorrow" mentality of our incompetent government that will deleteriously affect and burden future generations of unborn Americans? Oh, well . . . that's the spin today . . . What . . . me worry??
    Marinero
    Oh.... (with a capital o)
    I did indeed take it personally, as a compliment.
    It's not often one is told that one's own thought processes are out of the proverbial box and socially aware at the same time.
    I thought you were being friendly....
    I told you I wasn't that bright.
    Still, I prefer my version to your now updated implication, of the reverse. I shall be holding on to my version as that means you and I can remain friends. As I said, you seem like a bright cookie and I have no intention of re-evaluating my position on that one, political belief systems never seem to get resolved with argument, they merely become entrenched with crazy thinking to the point of absurdity eventually.
    Only to add to this, I don't consider we are at polar opposites in our opinions, maybe just slightly different.
    I will not view your opinion as an insult, I believe you are far too intelligent to have meant it that way.
    Last edited by Doktah B; 06-10-2022 at 03:03 PM. Reason: writing the wrong kind of too, to, two

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    "I will not view your opinion as an insult" Doktah B


    Hi, D,
    And, it was not . . . simply an honest personal perspective based on your previous comments.
    Marinero

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    "I will not view your opinion as an insult" Doktah B


    Hi, D,
    And, it was not . . . simply an honest personal perspective based on your previous comments.
    Marinero
    In that case all is grand in our newly found friendship and you have no reason to justify your comment.
    Fine greetings to you, it is my pleasure to have made your acquaintance .

  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doktah B View Post
    This has nothing to do with your quote, however, how in the universe (see what I did there? no? you will) can you swap astronomy for jazz? Surely there is enough room in this galaxy for both (see, I did it again).
    My grandson has won awards for astrophotography, he's playing around with some giant dustbin sized scope right now, he's only just got it as his last 8" he broke doing some experimental photography.
    Anyhoo, back on topic.....Yay go jazzy stuff...
    Astrophotography is fun. A phd in astronomy is 4 years of trying to work out why your computer program isn’t working (I did a masters year working on Hubble data so I got an idea of what it might be like).

    Since you can get paid actual money for that, those that stick with astronomy are really really into it. I just wasn’t that into the reality of it; more the idea of it.

    I still follow the field: I was gobsmacked to discover one of my classmates ended up heading up one the James Webb instrumentation teams, so it’s great some of us carried on with it!

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Astrophotography is fun. A phd in astronomy is 4 years of trying to work out why your computer program isn’t working (I did a masters year working on Hubble data so I got an idea of what it might be like).

    Since you can get paid actual money for that, those that stick with astronomy are really really into it. I just wasn’t that into the reality of it; more the idea of it.

    I still follow the field: I was gobsmacked to discover one of my classmates ended up heading up one the James Webb instrumentation teams, so it’s great some of us carried on with it!
    It is rather mad and very different going pro, less about astronomy and looking at stars, rather more about crunching numbers on computers.
    I did get a little involved with the Nancy Grace Roman for a very minute amount of time then realised very quickly it was way over my head and not the sort of thing I might excel at. It was never really my thing, moreso doing it because the beloved grandson was into it.
    Still, from the data I received, it's gonna blow hubble and JW into the stone age (no disrespect to either, it is just so massively more advanced).
    I love the deep void images, so very......enlightening?
    yay..... jazzy stuff is cool too!

  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    One of my classmates ended up heading the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and one of the freshmen of that year ended up in Nine Inch Nails. I ended up editing manuscripts.

  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    One of my classmates ended up heading the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and one of the freshmen of that year ended up in Nine Inch Nails. I ended up editing manuscripts.
    If I had to choose between them I'm not sure which I would opt for (presuming the 9 inch nails is the band and not a slow painful death) they all sound pretty interesting in different ways. Maybe I would edge toward the museum, they are very cool places to be.

  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doktah B View Post
    Speaking of exploitation, I've checked out your music, bloody top notch dude.
    I love that "waitin for the aliens", bit of billy gibbons inspiration in there?
    I like it so much I've been playing with ripping it off and doing my own version!
    mind you the only ones who will ever hear it is my geese and I'm not telling them its yours, I'm taking full credit!
    I am very happy to hear it, and I thank you very kindly! Yes, Billy Gibbons is indeed a major influence; forum member and ace guitarist Max 405 hears an Eric Johnson vibe, and I will take that with humble gratitude.
    And my thanks to all that have been kind enough to listen! B

  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    Look, D,
    We live in an age, today, where those who are patently ignorant of world history are attempting to rewrite it based on a camp Y2K sociological narrative. I am, formally, well-educated and that is why I challenged your remark. The problem with History, for some, is that they want to judge an era, historic figures, or events-- not within the context of its culture and time but by generations far removed using their "New Age" ideas of "right" and "wrong" and, in some cases, twisted, half-baked notions/standards of historic perspective. Slavery, an anathema to all today, was endemic to all world populations and it wasn't until the 18th Century that it began to be questioned by some Western cultures as a means of production. However, no culture is free from condemnation concerning slavery since it was a traditional practice of all warrior/conquering nations to take slaves for their personal and national benefit. The Vikings were among the great slave traders in the 10th Century A.D. and Arab merchants paid exorbitant prices for blonde, blue-eyed females for their harems as well as furs from the Arctic North. So, don't take it personally, D, but if we don't challenge these obtuse notions of History we will descend, once again, into the Dark Ages of thought, and for some, like me, we're on our way. Oh, by the way, did you know that our present historic national inflation, food shortages, gas prices, supply chain issues were caused directly by Vladimir Putin and not by our unconscionable, irresponsible deficit spending and dangerous "pay it tomorrow" mentality of our incompetent government that will deleteriously affect and burden future generations of unborn Americans? Oh, well . . . that's the spin today . . . What . . . me worry??
    Marinero
    This is bloody refreshing.