The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've often wondered if would help to have a bracket mounted near the bridge pickup -- that would allow me to rest the heel of my hand on it when I'm picking. Sort of like what you do on the bridge itself for palm muting. It would be roughly u shaped although the legs would be short and the crossbeam longer. You see it on basses sometimes -- and it might look like the original Rickenbacher over the string magnet.

Anybody know of a guitar make like that?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've often wondered if would help to have a bracket mounted near the bridge pickup -- that would allow me to rest the heel of my hand on it when I'm picking. Sort of like what you do on the bridge itself for palm muting. It would be roughly u shaped although the legs would be short and the crossbeam longer. You see it on basses sometimes -- and it might look like the original Rickenbacher over the string magnet.

Anybody know of a guitar make like that?
    Strats and Teles both originally came with with bridge covers that serve that purpose (reissues still do). The Tele one extends out over the bridge pickup; the strat one just covers the bridge. People usually take them off (and lose them).

User Info Menu

But how would one mute strings?

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman T486 to which I have added a Duesenburg Les Trem. II tremelo. The unit has a stabilizer bar between the center of the tail piece and the top of the spring. I find this a natural location for the heel of my hand.

Check it out here

Duesenberg Les Trem II | Duesenberg Store

User Info Menu

I actually bought an "ashtray" for my Tele to rest my hand on. Some people claim that it adds a bit of punch to the bridge pickup, but I can't really hear that. I mute strings with the flesh of the right hand thumb, or with the left hand. Instead of palm mutes, I put my left hand fingers on the frets (as opposed to slightly behind it).

I use palm muting a lot, so I'm imagining a hand-rest that swings out of the way if you need it to. Since it would be cantilevered, it would have to be anchored into the body and pretty hefty, I guess. Not that simple a device.

User Info Menu

I mostly mute with the fingers of my left hand. That's just the way I learned to do it.