The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Exclusive: Western Electric confirms plans to tackle the tube crisis with its Georgia factory | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

Looks like Western Electric intends to tackle the guitar tube supply problem. Thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve always thought there’s a lot of money to be made in domestically produced tubes.

User Info Menu

Welcome news. As long as they know why previous plants were considered environmentally prohibitive and they have new ways to make them safely, that's GREAT news!
    About time

User Info Menu

Does the process present any environmental challenges that weren’t a concern in the 1930s? You mention that you’ve made “key updates to machinery to ensure clean, green, and safe assembly” – would these updates present challenges when tooling up for a wider range of tubes?

“No. Every material we use is considered safe and green. Western Electric strives to meet all OSHA and EPA standards and does not use any banned substances. We sell and ship vacuum tubes every day. We hope this is enough to demystify any old wives’ tales about tube manufacturing hazards.”
    that’s their claim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    that’s their claim
    I remember these claims too. But there's still the hope, and I'm hoping that it's true
    Western Electric to produce guitar tubes in Georgia Factory (USA)-screen-shot-2022-03-26-2-08-39-pm-png

User Info Menu

It would be a great thing for guitarists if they can pull this off. Best of luck to them.

User Info Menu

My understanding is that thoriated tungsten (used in the filaments of tubes) is a carcinogen in the lungs and the digestive tract.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    My understanding is that thoriated tungsten (used in the filaments of tubes) is a carcinogen in the lungs and the digestive tract.
    Check out the 'protective' gear they wore back in the 50's and 60's...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I remember these claims too. But there's still the hope, and I'm hoping that it's true
    Western Electric to produce guitar tubes in Georgia Factory (USA)-screen-shot-2022-03-26-2-08-39-pm-png
    English Ovals were my choice for that niche; much preferred Balkan Sobranies when I was young and careless. Still have some tins, filled with picks, natch!