The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I think that I cured my GAS. I just purchased a keyboard.
    I bought a vintage trombone at an antique market. Like my trumpets, if i get really into it, I don't have to worry about random trips to "Trombone Center" !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just shows how much I know. When I first saw the thread I thought it's about the environment. Then I thought maybe it's the Great American Songbook. When I started reading it I realised it's got to mean Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (I did that all by myself).

So I had to look it up and, yes, spot on. There's a whole Wiki page on it.

Well, I have more than one, more by accident than design, but only one to hand and it's just the ticket. I certainly have no desire to acquire for acquisition's sake. Sounds a pretty dreadful state to be in.

That said, I can safely say I'm no threat to anybody :-)

Sorry, this post is completely redundant...

User Info Menu

We live in an apartment in NYC, so I don't have a separate room for myself. We had a beautiful old Steinway model S in the living room, and my guitars lived underneath that.

My wife and I have a non-proliferation agreement. That goes for her clothes as well as my guitars – if something comes in, something goes out, not necessarily in that order. I spent thirty-four years with one guitar: a 1969 Martin D21 – no amps or pedals. Then my wife suggested I have a guitar built to my specs (even though I knew next to nothing about specs), and I realized that a 1-3/4" nut was better for me than my D21's 1-11/16" nut. That guitar is a mini jumbo Running Dog guitar, with Italian spruce top and bubinga back and sides. I sold the D21 for almost 3 times what I had paid for it, allowing for inflation (Brazilian Rosewood), and bought a Martin D18A. I got up to 4 guitars (that's how many would fit under the piano), with my wife's only caveat that I had to actually play them. I went through a number of Martin acoustics, one coming in, one going out, until I fell into the archtop well. Now I have two Eastman archies, one Martin dread, and the Running Dog. I also snuck in a tenor uke a few years ago – it fit on top of the guitars under the piano.

Yesterday we donated the piano to a local youth symphony for practice purposes. We had to be creative to hide the rather unattractive black guitar cases. But I still have 4 – and although I can't deny spending time lusting after and imagining buying other archtops, I greatly enjoy the two I have, and am loathe to part with any of my 4 instruments. So I probably will be able to avoid any more acquisition...

User Info Menu

Ok, this may have been alluded to before in the thread but I think that the less guitars you have, the more soul you bring to the music. Its a bit like the Buddhist approach, to have less is to have more, be happy with what you have, blah blah etc etc.

I started out on a squire strat but decided it was shit when I took it apart to repaint it and discovered it was made of plywood. Didn't even put it back together and played an acoustic for years.

Then bought an epiphone riviera which I still own and love, but started doing classic rock pub gigs and realised the tuning was unstable and it was too fragile for that business.

Then bought a real fender strat and omg what a difference. I don't believe that any product in any industry has ever been designed better, not even can openers!

But then a couple of years later I got GAS via watching too many Anderton's music videos and bought a Gibson SG. It lasted 2 months before I sold it as I hated it 'neck diving' due to the poor weight distribution. I realised that the strat was un-surpassable and have not bought another guitar since. I'll only buy another if I ever get out playing live jazz, just to get the right sound, but even then it'll need to be bomb proof and not break if dropped or knocked off a table.

Was GAS even a thing before all the YouTube channels like Anderton's came about telling us that we had to have a different guitar for every occasion?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Was GAS even a thing before all the YouTube channels like Anderton's came about telling us that we had to have a different guitar for every occasion?
    GAS was a thing long before the internet. I bought my first Martin in 1974 from a man (he was a Presbyterian minister) who would drive his van around to bluegrass festivals around the country, buying and trading acoustic guitars. I went to his house, where his darkened sunroom held quite a selection of Martin dreads from which I could choose. He didn't want to sell me one – he said at that point it was all about trading instruments for him. I had nothing to trade, so I basically appealed to his better nature to let a working musician have a fabulous guitar. He didn't lose any money on the sale, however.