The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55

User Info Menu

I have no option but to report you for blatant identity theft!! ??

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I'm tallying my guitar acquisitions over the past 8 years with Reverb purchases and sales, Sweetwater (not so much any more), and off the Reverb grid purchases. What started as a $700-$1500 per purchase hobby years back has now turned into a $3000-$15,000 per instrument pattern, now holding steady (sort of) at 10 guitars with a rough sales value of $45,000. On one hand it's peanuts, of slightly more value than a new car purchase or a handful of vacations, but on the other hand, it adds up: books, amps, repairs, gizmos, strings, etc...likely surpassing 75k in total purchases over 8 years, give or take, without a definitive dollar amount on overall return sales. No CC debt; retirement is not far off, and the 401k is iffy, like most everything else in the bigger picture today. I'm not a professional musician; all money flies out of the pocket, not in. (Actually, dollars do come back with sales, but rarely for a profit.) Truth be told, I'm not a very good guitar player (kinda good / kinda sucky) but it's a lot of fun trying--and shopping. !
    Last edited by AKA; 03-23-2022 at 03:02 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    I have no option but to report you for blatant identity theft!! ??
    I'm glad to have a twin in this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Seems I acquired quite a few instruments after retirement from my day job. I found each acquisition although being an incentive to play was also a distraction from playing. Seemed each one required some initial setup, string experimentation, some kind of buzz or rattle diagnosis. I seem to have reached a point where I avoid new things just so that I do not have to go through all of the new ownership teething pain.
    For me, the new ownership teething is part of the enjoyment of getting a new guitar. Doing a setup (which is always an ongoing process), finding the right strings, curing buzzes/rattles/unpleasant tones, all keep me occupied, and I enjoy doing all of it. I do understand, however, that others have different priorities and ways of entertaining themselves. I'm probably in the tiny minority on this, but I really don't care. I like what I like.

User Info Menu

"Guitars...I've had a few...but then again, too few to mention..."

User Info Menu

Why do men appear to pursue the $$ hobbies more than women? Does your partner or spouse know what you're spending?[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say my fiance spends about 20,000 per year on clothes/shoes/makeup. I see her shopping 7 days a week on her phone as a hobby. I think this exceeds your guitar spending, and probably most people on here. She has a high salary and she can afford it so I don't see anything wrong with it, and I don't see anything wrong with your guitar spending either.

I've got like 20K into a pair of old gibson archtops, feeling good about it actually.

User Info Menu

I seem to be cured of, or at least in remission, of GAS. In the last year I'm actually down a couple of guitars, sold my Martin dreads. I've had money burning a hole in my pocket, but i can't find anything I'm that interested in. It's a 2 part cure. One is, I know what I like now, and I have it. The other is, I'm more into playing trumpet lately, though I practice both pretty equally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    my fiance spends about 20,000 per year on clothes/shoes/makeup. I see her shopping 7 days a week on her phone as a hobby.
    After 50 years with my wife, I can confidently tell you that they really don't care if we "approve" of such behavior. To be honest, I strongly doubt that most women even care what we think of their clothes, shoes, hair etc - my wife and every other woman with whom I've ever had a relationship seem to care far more about what they and other women think of their choices. Once I learned not to take it personally, life became much easier. Unfortunately, that happened last year

Of course, if push came to shove and something had to go, our instruments have market value. Thrift shops are full of the cast off remnants of last year's fashion trends, which they acquired from the women for 2c on the dollar.

User Info Menu

Kettering:

Hobbies take us out of our everyday experience and give us a chance to do something we love and are passionate about. Engaging in a hobby can be a mental escape, help us hone a skill, or just provide an opportunity to socialize with others. Hobbies are a great way to disconnect from work and break away from the monotony of daily schedules. Also, even though it may seem daunting to add ONE MORE THING to your to-do list, having a hobby has been shown to be a stress reliever.

Some people make a hobby of spending money on things, which is good for capitalism.

User Info Menu

I think that I cured my GAS. I just purchased a keyboard.

User Info Menu

Long ago as an actual musician I had 2 guitars. Six years ago I had one. Today I have 4 with another on order.

Long ago I had 1 amp. Six years ago I still had one. Today I only have 2, but I have 3 extra cabs plus a pedal board that I don't use.

Seems I'm on a long slope that appears to be getting steeper and more slippery. Should I check myself before I wreck myself? :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Long ago as an actual musician I had 2 guitars. Six years ago I had one. Today I have 4 with another on order.

Long ago I had 1 amp. Six years ago I still had one. Today I only have 2, but I have 3 extra cabs plus a pedal board that I don't use.

Seems I'm on a long slope that appears to be getting steeper and more slippery. Should I check myself before I wreck myself? :-)
    I say, buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    GAS always makes a return visit.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned "one guitar for each genre," which seems like a good benchmark--and maybe 3 for your favorite genre.

User Info Menu

"my wife and every other woman with whom I've ever had a relationship seem to care far more about what they and other women think of their choices."

".....all the girls walk by, all dressed up for each other, and the boys do the boogie woogie, on the cormer of thr street"
    love, Van Morrison

Last edited by wintermoon; 03-24-2022 at 12:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    ".....all the girls walk by, all dressed up for each other, and the boys do the boogie woogie, on the street corner..."
    ...while the men play their guitars.
    When GAS Gets Serious (Deep Thoughts)-guitar-player-amp-gif

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    As one who has purchased a keyboard, i can assure you that it is not a reliable cure. It doesn't even slow it down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    As one who has purchased a keyboard, i can assure you that it is not a reliable cure. It doesn't even slow it down.
    Can relate. I bought a nice little Yamaha for its features (variable tuning, stereo output, others I don't recall) but mainly for its built-in drum machine, which I meant to use as a practice tool. We were playing a lot of Lady-led stuff (Lauper, Thompson Twins, Brannigan, etc.), so I thought I would play some keys and mostly guitar. BIG mistake. I became the band's de facto keyboard player, and the lazy lout we had hired under false pretenses (his, not ours) became the lead player.
    It took a long while to remedy that untenable situation and suffice it to say there were some hard feelings. Pro Tip: When dealing with cases where money and or "status" are involved, bear in mind that what people say they are going to do and what they actually end up doing are frequently in radical opposition. Word.

Anyhoo, stand-alone drum machines became available in my range, and Nice Yamaha RM-51 (?) ended up doing the heavy lifting on UTONIA (see sig).

So you end up buying more stuff, and more guitars, b/c reasons. I love Show Biz!

User Info Menu

I think there is an intersection at which a collection becomes clutter. There's a point where maintaining multiple instruments become a chore in itself anf the stuff tend to get in the way. Of course the number at which people feel like that is largely individual. At 7 guitars I feel I'm pushing it. I could get down to 4 (semi, strat, superstrat, travel guitar) and not truly miss anything. Otoh I like variety.

User Info Menu

I'm just curious. A theoretical proposal. You're sitting at a table in a cafe, or at a bar, or a bus stop and the guy next to you turns out to be a genie. He happens to have just enough unused mojo that he can grant you a limited wish. He says "I see you're a guitarist. Here's my offer. You can pick two guitars that are so well made that you'll have them the rest of your life, and I'll give you the ability to play anything you want and imagine. Your imagination is the only limit to what you can play, but no more than your two chosen guitars."

Oh? And what's the other offer?

"On the other hand, you can instantly have any guitar you lust over. Read about it, fall in love, and it's yours. You get this small gymnasium sized room and you get guitars until it's full. Gibson Kalamazoo...yours. Stromberg orchestral hand carved by the master...yours. They're yours, you don't sell them. But it's on the genie. You name it."

Really? What's the catch?

"The catch is you will never get better than the guitarist you are right now. No matter how many YouTube videos you watch, lessons you take, guitar camps you attend, you will never achieve more in your life than the things you have right now."

Of course you can walk away and buy what you can and practice by your own tried and true resources.

Guitars to have or the same two guitars to play. What would you do?
    Curious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I'm just curious. A theoretical proposal. You're sitting at a table in a cafe, or at a bar, or a bus stop and the guy next to you turns out to be a genie. He happens to have just enough unused mojo that he can grant you a limited wish. He says "I see you're a guitarist. Here's my offer. You can pick two guitars that are so well made that you'll have them the rest of your life, and I'll give you the ability to play anything you want and imagine. Your imagination is the only limit to what you can play, but no more than your two chosen guitars."

Oh? And what's the other offer?

"On the other hand, you can instantly have any guitar you lust over. Read about it, fall in love, and it's yours. You get this small gymnasium sized room and you get guitars until it's full. Gibson Kalamazoo...yours. Stromberg orchestral hand carved by the master...yours. They're yours, you don't sell them. But it's on the genie. You name it."

Really? What's the catch?

"The catch is you will never get better than the guitarist you are right now. No matter how many YouTube videos you watch, lessons you take, guitar camps you attend, you will never achieve more in your life than the things you have right now."

Of course you can walk away and buy what you can and practice by your own tried and true resources.

Guitars to have or the same two guitars to play. What would you do?
    Curious.
    My '06 ES-175, and my '86 PRS CU24, made with top wood from my private stock. That, and a selection of tube amps, from 5 watts on up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note

On another forum, members often say they have reached a level of proficiency where they are content, but they obviously still long for gear. They continue to seek tone, but the map for that quest is not more ability but more gear.

User Info Menu

There was another thread where a member had posted rules for preventing the expansion of gear (i.e. one has to go out for another to come in etc.) Does anyone have the link to that thread ? I intended to bookmark it but forgot.

User Info Menu

About GAS....

I love guitars. I want to experience playing every kind of guitar there is. I'm curious as to how they're built, their differences in construction and tone. Craftsmanship at the highest level becomes art, and we see that in the best guitars. I've had many, many guitars, but just keep the ones that I use.

Getting a new guitar is fun! Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't but you can always sell them and get a good percentage of your cost back. The days of going into a well-stocked guitar store are pretty much over, and it's harder to try a variety. So we resort to serial buying and selling. Just the way things have evolved.

I'm not sure how much actual, practical "need" enters into it. During my busiest years as a pro, when I played over 3000 gigs, I used one guitar. Still mostly do.
    Last edited by Gilpy; 03-28-2022 at 06:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds awful. Endless buying and selling.

User Info Menu

I’ve gotta admit, it’s not as fun as it used to be....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    I love guitars. I want to experience playing every kind of guitar there is. I'm curious as to how they're built, their differences in construction and tone. Craftsmanship at the highest level becomes art, and we see that in the best guitars. I've had many, many guitars, but just keep the ones that I use.
    That’s it in a nut shell! Not every acquisition has the same purpose. When each has done its job for you, it’s time for it to go. Some pass through quickly and others stay with you for life. The secret to staying solvent is to buy the ones you only want for experience and education used or on closeout or other dramatic price reduction, so you can resell them with little or no loss.

My son and I used to stand in line at 4 AM in freezing cold to be among the first through the door for Russo’s legendary annual clearance sale. I got a new BF Twin for half price one year and he got some special cymbal for even less.

To truly know and understand something, you have to get your hands on it. Opinions born of reading and talking are thin and flimsy.