The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 78
    Aside from the brilliant playing, the singing is really tight rhythmically.

So what's with the LATCH pronunciation? Am I (as an itinerant Canadian Minor League Baseball fan) the only one to hear 'AppaLATCHian'?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is hilarious if you go through it. I don't know who put it together but it's sooo accurate. It's exactly what people say!

Do say: Alzheimer's disease | Don't say: old-timer's disease
    100 Most Often Mispronounced Words and Phrases in English
    Last edited by ragman1; 03-25-2022 at 08:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Aside from the brilliant playing, the singing is really tight rhythmically.

So what's with the LATCH pronunciation? Am I (as an itinerant Canadian Minor League Baseball fan) the only one to hear 'AppaLATCHian'?
    I've heard Appalatchia but not often. Can't think where, though. I think it's both, depending who's saying it. It may be an old folks thing from way back and it may have been the original pronunciation. Merriam-Webster only has Appalaychia.

User Info Menu

Neither Noah Webster nor the Merriam brothers were from Appalachia. I would be somewhat surprised to hear that any of the editors since the founding of either dictionary was from Appalachia. New England pronunciation is rather localized, and not the same as most of the US.

User Info Menu

“Sponge ham”??!! I would have never gotten that one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I've pretty much figured out words just are pictures of a sound, and people draw them differently
    I love this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    “Sponge ham”??!! I would have never gotten that one.
    Sponge ham?

User Info Menu

Not sponge, but monge rhyming with sponge. Sorry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    France has elevated it to "art" status, I recently learned there's even a periodical for those "voice actors". They'll also dub interviews, which I find borderline insulting (to the interviewee, and to the audience who can't listen to what the person actually has to say).

I hate it. If you have no other choice I can live with it if the movie is thrilling enough (I'll refuse to watch dubbed art cinema), but it gets really unbearable when you have to listen to it. Of course it's also quite disturbing when the same dubbing voice is used for 2 very different characters.
    Here there are two common ways: totally dubbed when you do not hear orginal voice at all (Soviet times), and voice-over when you can hear original on the background (from later period). Now they use both.
    Many voice actors are associated with particular real famous actors - they are dubbed with the same voice all the time/

What I hate is mistakes in translation (some of them I can get even if there is no orginal soundtrack heard - I just understand by the general meaning and can imagine what was really said there), and that often voice actors do not know the language of the original and they make some articulations and emotions in other places of the phrase and the mimics does not correspond to it which generally turns into something really weird.
    Documentaries can be awful too.

I prefer originals - but only when I have at least some basic knowledge of the language like I know only very basic Swedish but enough not read the subtitles all the way.
    Otherwise I'd rather watch voice-over version where i can hear the intonation of the original. Because if I do not lnow language at all (like Finnish or Japanese) I will have to read it all the time and I would prefer watching it, not reading.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    In some countries dubbed films seem to be a tradition.
    In Germany each and every film or movie will be dubbed. It is tradition here, also vintage movies from the Fifties have been dubbed originally.
    I remember some rare movies with subtitles back in the 70s, "art cinema" in the late night program only.

P.S.: Is "fuenfhundertfuenfundfuenfzig" (555) really one of the hardest words to spell out for english native speakers? I never thought about that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    P.S.: Is "fuenfhundertfuenfundfuenfzig" (555) really one of the hardest words to spell out for english native speakers? I never thought about that
    fuenf hundert fuenf und fuenfzig

Fixed: it's an illusion. Just remember to join the words back up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Sponge ham?
    So that's how you pronounce spam??

The Alzheimer's pun above reminded me of a French one thats slightly less appropriate for tea salon use
    Ne dites pas "immatriculé", dites "il m'a enculé trois fois"

---->

User Info Menu

In Germany each and every film or movie will be dubbed.
    In Spain too. Way back I did a 3 month study project in Barcelona where I got to stay in a sort of pension for visiting scientists and mix with people from places I'd never have met otherwise. Complaining about the dubbing on TV one night a Cuban guy agreed to me, pointing out how John Wayne or Clint Eastwood lisping their c's and s'es in proper Spanish way just aren't themselves anymore.

Subtitled instead of dubbed TV and movies may not be quite as good as growing up in a multilingual environment but they're still are a great way to prep your brain for learning foreign languages (with a proper accent) later on. Of course the dubbed TV in Spain probably helped me with my grasp of the Spanish language.

Fun memory: we went to see one of the rare movies that wasn't dubbed (a "VO" as we'd call it in France): "The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover". I spent at least 5 minutes to realise it was indeed an English movie...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I've usually heard Roanoke pronounced with two syllables, but the a partially sounded by some accents. Never, ever heard the e pronounced, as a final e like that is always silent. Unless it's a word from a different language, in which case all bets are off, you have to know the originating language.
    Recipe, apostrophe, and more:

12 English words in which we DO pronounce the final “E” – Espresso English

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Not sponge, but monge rhyming with sponge. Sorry.
    Sorry, I'm totally lost on this. Munge-ham? What's that? I don't get it at all.

Or is 'munge' one of these catchy modern words that means a sort of mushed up mess to describe various kinds of ham and pork becoming spam?

I don't know...

User Info Menu

So that's how you pronounce spam??
    Believe it or not, spam is pronounced... spam!

User Info Menu

What I want to know is how the last name of Canadian artist Bruce Cockburn can be pronounced “Colburn”.

I asked this question on a different forum and got a bunch of “traditional scottish family” or some such. Don’t believe a word of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    I'm from Toronto! (pronounced Torona or Torono)

(we still have ol' what's er name on our money)
    Not to mention Loonies and Toonies.

User Info Menu

Appalachian is pronounced by most of us hillbillies as "Apple-AY-Chun".

My father lived in Roanoke awhile and currently lives in Rocky Mount, VA. It's pronounced Row-uhn-OKE, more or less like 2 words--"roan" (as in "roan mare") and "oak".

User Info Menu

In Spain too. Way back I did a 3 month study project in Barcelona where I got to stay in a sort of pension for visiting scientists and mix with people from places I'd never have met otherwise. Complaining about the dubbing on TV one night a Cuban guy agreed to me, pointing out how John Wayne or Clint Eastwood lisping their c's and s'es in proper Spanish way just aren't themselves anymore.

Subtitled instead of dubbed TV and movies may not be quite as good as growing up in a multilingual environment but they're still are a great way to prep your brain for learning foreign languages (with a proper accent) later on. Of course the dubbed TV in Spain probably helped me with my grasp of the Spanish language.

Fun memory: we went to see one of the rare movies that wasn't dubbed (a "VO" as we'd call it in France): "The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover". I spent at least 5 minutes to realise it was indeed an English movie...

I'm on a real Korean TV kick. All I watch on Netflix is Korean, with English subtitles. A friend of mine told me had had to watch the dubbed versions, so I tried that and it was awful! Back to subtitles.

For K-Pop videos, I just let it wash over me, no subtitles. There are always English phrases, anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    For K-Pop videos, I just let it wash over me, no subtitles.

Ahhh, so that's what K-Pop is (I could never be bothered to go figure it out )

Not following the lyrics is best for most pop songs anyway. I think I learned to listen to English songs before I learned English so I'm still (better) able to just let the lyrics be vocalisations without paying attention to the meaning (or lack thereof ). Not quite so with French or Dutch, which makes me appreciate a whole lot of them a whole lot less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is hilarious if you go through it. I don't know who put it together but it's sooo accurate. It's exactly what people say!

Do say: Alzheimer's disease | Don't say: old-timer's disease
    100 Most Often Mispronounced Words and Phrases in English
    I must say, "pernickety" was a bit of a surprise. I'll prolly stick wid "snick." (I kinda snuck that in.)

User Info Menu

In Germany each and every film or movie will be dubbed. It is tradition here, also vintage movies from the Fifties have been dubbed originally.
    I remember some rare movies with subtitles back in the 70s, "art cinema" in the late night program only.

User Info Menu

Ahhh, so that's what K-Pop is (I could never be bothered to go figure it out )
    I may be a bit obsessed...

Pronunciation-iu-jpg

User Info Menu

Fun fact: in Barcelona people (visitors) have been known to ask what kind of Spanish they were hearing, whether on TV or out in the street, only to discover that is was Catalan

It has been possible in Spain for many years now to choose whether you wish to watch a TV programme in the original language or the dubbed version. My daughter learnt English by watching kids' shows, then practising with me and the curious thing is that while her vocabulary veers towards N. American, she has a distinctly S.E. England accent, like her dad