The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I have not had to ship a guitar lately but I am guessing the cost to ship is going up to the sky. Shipping a prize Gibson L5 from New York to Denver or anywhere must be getting huge if you go Fed Ex or UPS with the express type shipping that gets you the guitar in 2-3 days? I suppose regular UPS ground is still the cheapest and probably that is off the wall high priced.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fuel is used in both trucks and planes. Fuel is getting more expensive and therefore guitar shipping is going to get more expensive.

Seeing as we may be hitting a period of sustained high inflation, guitars may be better than money in the bank.

Don't ship your guitars, keep them.

User Info Menu

I shipped a Voyage Air (foldable) guitar back for repair recently, and it cost $120 for ground transport. (They charge by box size in addition to weight.) Air would have been over $300...

I haven't shipped a regular size guitar in a case in awhile, but I recall about a decade ago it was $75.

I imagine air shipping an exclusive guitar these days would be expensive!
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 03-11-2022 at 04:38 PM.

User Info Menu

There's gonna be a higher than normal gas surcharge for the foreseeable future.

User Info Menu

Maybe ground vs air price is not just about the cost, it is also about the market, where the demand to ship the goods faster has also effect on the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    There's gonna be a higher than normal gas surcharge for the foreseeable future.
    Really off topic, but a LOT of people make a lot of money with high gas prices.

User Info Menu

My UPS shipping options from Gryphon (middle California) to southern Oregon a few days ago were:

Ground: $55
    2 Day: $300
    Overnight: $500

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    My UPS shipping options from Gryphon (middle California) to southern Oregon a few days ago were:

Ground: $55
    2 Day: $300
    Overnight: $500
    I suspect that $55 fee is the result of a special deal that Gryphon has with UPS. I doubt that any of us could ship a guitar for $55 these days without some long term arrangement with a shipper.

User Info Menu

i got a guitar coming from Moffa in a few weeks i think.....im pretty much Fucked.
    Last edited by jazzgtrl4; 03-23-2022 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I suspect that $55 fee is the result of a special deal that Gryphon has with UPS. I doubt that any of us could ship a guitar for $55 these days without some long term arrangement with a shipper.
    It’s only over Mt Shasta and Grants Pass. I’ve driven that in 6-7 hours. Likely a 2 day max shipment.

User Info Menu

The price of diesel (probably not gasoline) is only one factor affecting shipping costs. The driver also has to be paid, and for the first time in decades salaries are rising. It's getting difficult to get experienced and competent truck drivers, and they demand to be paid, for some weird reason. The cost of trucks also goes up. With the difficulty in getting the chips now required for vehicles, they get more expensive. Not to mention the rising salaries of mechanics, the cost of new tires, etc etc. Raising the price of diesel by a few cents, or even a dollar or two, has little effect on the cost of shipping compared to all the rest.