The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

There are generally at least two sides to every story. But this series of events is something that shouldn't have happened and illustrates how fragile and petty civilization is.

Man jailed for criminal littering after placing flowers on fiancee’s grave - mlive.com

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did you ever wonder if we are living in the stupidest times?

User Info Menu

Well... as I see from the article it is not just 'littering'. It is quite long time opposition between the relatives of the deceased and her fiance that was expressed in putting and getting away a box with flowers from the grave.
    Maybe the farther of the girl had some 'connections' to make it look formally as 'littering' and get the guy arrested. American laws sometimes are interpreted in a very literal way which probably gives some space for such manipulations.

PS
    By the way I think the title 'Man jailed for criminal littering after placing flowers on fiancee’s grave" is a typical journalism. When you read it you think: 'oh a cop saw the guy putting flowers on his fiancee's grave and arrested him for littering'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Well... as I see from the article it is not just 'littering'. It is quite long time opposition between the relatives of the deceased and her fiance that was expressed in putting and getting away a box with flowers from the grave.
    Maybe the farther of the girl had some 'connections' to make it look formally as 'littering' and get the guy arrested. American laws sometimes are interpreted in a very literal way which probably gives some space for such manipulations.

PS
    By the way I think the title 'Man jailed for criminal littering after placing flowers on fiancee’s grave" is a typical journalism. When you read it you think: 'oh a cop saw the guy putting flowers on his fiancee's grave and arrested him for littering'
    You are right that it is part of some feuding and bad blood. But there is a time when pettiness should be put aside. If I were the father I'd concede that this guy loved my daughter. I'd offer him a space to put flowers at the grave.

Of course laws are used literally for the purposes of arrest. My hope is that the judge has some wisdom. Even more, I wish this clown show would cease voluntarily by the parties. They all lost with her death. Work it out.

User Info Menu

For some reason I read the title of the thread and thought that it is a name of a song!

'Man arrested for flowers on his fiancées grave'. I can't even imagine the name of the album where that song would be in.

Sad story there behind the title.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    I used to. Now, I am simply convinced of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    For some reason I read the title of the thread and thought that it is a name of a song!

'Man arrested for flowers on his fiancées grave'. I can't even imagine the name of the album where that song would be in.

Sad story there behind the title.
    How about "True Tales of Trauma in Troubling Times"....

User Info Menu

I guess she sent him dead flowers by the US mail...

User Info Menu

Despite my above levity, it is sad that this happened. Sounds like a typical legalism gone amuck. I think we know who the real villain is here, and it isn't the grieving fiancee.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Despite my above levity, it is sad that this happened. Sounds like a typical legalism gone amuck. I think we know who the real villain is here, and it isn't the grieving fiancee.
    I don't know who the bad guy is, but there is enough bad to go around. Even if the father is a major jerk, how does it honor the dead woman to persist with more flowers? She is beyond help and her memory is now eclipsed by this stupid feud. There will now be visitors, maybe even a webpage, to update the public on the flower box and legal process.

Sometimes you need to know when to walk away from crazy.

User Info Menu

Johnny Cash once got arrested for picking flowers.

User Info Menu

Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I think we know who the real villain is here, and it isn't the grieving fiancee.
    I am sure only one thing: we know nothing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    The world gets dumber and more violent every day, and it's frankly depressing and worrisome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    The world gets dumber and more violent every day, and it's frankly depressing and worrisome. I keep hoping something will happen to change ...
    This one greeted me when I got up today. Today's news:

Man stabbed for not flushing the toilet in public restroom
    Man arrested for flowers on his fiancée's grave-screen-shot-2022-02-22-9-13-04-am-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    ...how does it honor the dead woman to persist with more flowers?
    I don't know that it honors her so much as his feelings about her. I go to the graves of my parents, my brother, my mother-in-law to reflect and be grateful that I had them in my life. Sometimes I leave flowers, sometimes not. I don't know that this honors them but it helps me. His conflict with her father is separate from that, maybe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I don't know that it honors her so much as his feelings about her. I go to the graves of my parents, my brother, my mother-in-law to reflect and be grateful that I had them in my life. Sometimes I leave flowers, sometimes not. I don't know that this honors them but it helps me. His conflict with her father is separate from that, maybe.
    I think it normally does honor the deceased. This is not normal. The down side of fueling a feud and raising hostilities seems to offset the positive. OTOH, the publicity that his arrest puts on this feud may be the greatest retribution toward the father with the shame it should generate.

There are other things in life to take a stand on and fight for that are more noble IMO.

User Info Menu

What I find disconcerting is that you can actually be arrested for littering.

But then I should’ve been warned by Arlo Guthrie, sitting on the bench right next to father rapers.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think it normally does honor the deceased. This is not normal. The down side of fueling a feud and raising hostilities seems to offset the positive. OTOH, the publicity that his arrest puts on this feud may be the greatest retribution toward the father with the shame it should generate.

There are other things in life to take a stand on and fight for that are more noble IMO.
    As stated in the OP, there are 2 sides to every story. The published story though suggests that the young man arrested was not aware that the father was removing the flowers, so he was not purposefully trying to piss off the old man.

More broadly, the deceased woman does not belong to the father, even if he paid for the gravesite. She had the agency to have a separate loving relationship with the young man. Putting flowers on a grave should not be a cause for someone to take offense to the point of having the bereaved boyfriend arrested. That seems to me to be indefensible.

User Info Menu

It’s not flowers on her grave. It’s a wooden box covered with pictures of the couple which obviously upsets the father. The guy knows what he’s doing, and it’s disrespectful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    It’s not flowers on her grave. It’s a wooden box covered with pictures of the couple which obviously upsets the father. The guy knows what he’s doing, and it’s disrespectful.
    That is the way I read this story. My Dad is buried in a military cemetery and if I put a large box with pictures on it it in front of or behind his marker it would be removed the next day. As it should. This is just another click bait article.

User Info Menu

Joe DiMaggio had flowers put on Marilyn Monroe's grave every single day until he died. Roses, I think.

User Info Menu

... But there is a time when pettiness should be put aside. ...
    And when would that be? It seems to be humanity's core value.

User Info Menu

Maybe that's why some wag puts out a bottle of cognac on Poe's grave every year? To piss off his father?