The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Anybody here using CBD to sooth hand pain? I have been trying it on my fretting hand with good results. I never thought that there would be a place for marijuana in my middle/old age as I gave up smoking it many years ago, but my fretting hand needs some help and the CBD seems to provide some relief. I apply some CBD infused balm to my fretting hand both before and after a gig.

If it is acting as a placebo, that is OK. I'll take the relief any way I can get it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

[Nothing wrong with a placebo!]

You're in California, so you can get CBD that also has some THC; I've been "told" that is more effective than the "regular" CBD (that still has a tiny percent of THC, but really not enough). Where I live, we can't get the good stuff! When I was in Chicago recently, I bought some -- CBD w/ THC -- for my in-laws (back/neck pain), and they love it!

User Info Menu

My aunt is in her 80s and has been struggling with some pain. They are in Canada and have access to really good quality THC/CBD 1:1 topicals that have made a world of difference for her. She's able to function, but the 1:1 ratio mostly eliminates any of the psychoactive features we're used to when using a THC product. I have a THC tincture that I can dose in 1mg drops, and just a few milligrams of that is more than enough to help ease pain without a residual high. Our endocannabinoid system is a beautiful thing.

User Info Menu

Well I don't if the stuff would work but in my case my hands are ok at least for the moment. My problem is my feet and I might give the stuff a try. Years of long distance running and cycling my toes get black toenails and they hurt. They also take a beating around the big toe might have to put some dope on them and see if it helps.

My problem playing is I always sit to play and I simply get odd cramps and pain at time around the shoulders and sometimes upper back. It is not terrible or unbearable but let me tell you the signs of aging keep showing up more and more.

I've never tried CBD. But I have found cold/hot hand baths helpful for arthritis-like symptoms. Before/after a heavy guitar session, I'd do three minutes in icy-cold water (for inflammation), then three minutes in hot water (for circulation). I've also tried arnica gel on the hands, but it did nothing for me. That said, I don't have the symptoms anymore at all, though I still do the routine sometimes. The hot water soak is a great way for me to warm up in a hurry. Three minutes in hot water is like thirty minutes of warmup by playing. I got the idea from Glenn Gould.

User Info Menu

I am not sure whether it is arthritis or a jammed-finger, but I have a swollen sore knuckle on my right hand middle finger. This is an issue for me since I play mostly fingerstyle.

I don't know enough to recommend this to anybody, but I've been using this CBD balm. Seems to help.

https://www.myriamshopehemp.com/product/cbd-750mg-balm/

CBD  for fretting hand pain-myriams-png

User Info Menu

I shared this with a friend and he had very positive results from it, as did I. Hope it helps.

I asked my doc about cbd and pot for pain; he said there was really not substantial info that it helped and that when it has been shown to work well, that it was at a dose of half a $35 $50 bottle per day, making it beyond the means for most. Also, look into foods you might be eating that can cause inflamation.

User Info Menu

Sorry, nothing much to contribute for the moment. But I'm eager for solutions. Various shoulder, arm, wrist and hand stretches help to some degree.

User Info Menu

Sorry ArnoldSchoenberg, I missed your post above before automatically pasting the Severson video.

I'll attemp to contribute another way;

What foods cause inflammation flare ups?

Processed foods, salt, red meat, alcohol, and other foods may exacerbate arthritis' joint pain and inflammation. Stick to low-calorie whole foods with lots of vitamins and fiber, like leafy greens and beans. Certain foods may make arthritis worse by contributing to joint inflammation or weight gain or both.

The 13 Most Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat

Best news of all - coffee and dark chocolate are your friend!

User Info Menu

I take MSM to avoid arthritis. Seems to work but that's strictly anecdotal.

Heat and cold are more direct. Warmth to make your hand not ache and cold for inflammation.

For cold I sometimes use Biofreeze. Convenient. Quick. Works pretty well on all sorts of muscle pain. Sorry! Something went wrong!

Current tech hand warmers are one of the truly great things we have from improved lithium battery production. I've been using these for a while and find them only slightly better than the invention of sliced bread. They often go on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

User Info Menu

My wife has developed a skin condition that turns her hands red and itchy when it is just a little chilly outside. A new thing in our advancing years. She hates it. I just ordered one of these warmers for her.

I'm gonna be such a hero by this weekend! Thanks, Spook!