The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Founder (co) of King Crimson and Foreigner
    King Crimson and Foreigner Co-Founder Ian McDonald Dead at 75 - Rolling Stone
    RIP
    Your music still with us

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Founder (co) of King Crimson and Foreigner
    King Crimson and Foreigner Co-Founder Ian McDonald Dead at 75 - Rolling Stone
    RIP
    Your music still with us
    Rest In Peace...

User Info Menu

Dug him in KC, but Foreigner?
    That's ok I won't hold it against him though I did have to endure them once when I was working a concession and they were opening for the Stones back in the day.
    but rip Ian and nice flute playing, thanks..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Dug him in KC, but Foreigner?
    That's ok I won't hold it against him though I did have to endure them once when I was working a concession and they were opening for the Stones back in the day.
    but rip Ian and nice flute playing, thanks..
    You're much more forgiving than I am. I couldn't believe that the genius behind ITCOTCK KC's first LP was involved in Foreigner. To rub salt in the wound, Dennis Elliot, the drummer for the UK jazz-rock band ,If, joined Foreigner at the same time.

Ian finally revealed that he acted as the main producer of ITCOTCK in an interview not too long ago.His experience writing for the Army Band for five years resulted in the great woodwind writing and playing that made that album so special.
    I asked Greg Lake about it on his website, but he claimed that they were all equally responsible for the music.
    That may be true for the inferior second side of the album, but the whole middle section of 21st Century Schizoid Man was a jazz piece Ian had written in the Army, as he said in the Rolling Stone interview.in the OP.
    There's a recording of ITTTW on a Giles, Giles and Fripp album that was entirely written and arranged by Ian, and it's almost identical to the KC version, except Judy Dyble (of Fairport Convention) sang lead.
    Then Epitaph was only interesting for Lake's great vocals, and Ian's WW writing and playing.

The album got five stars in a review by Chris Albertson in DB, who saw the first band live at the Fillmore East, and raved about IM's sax and flute playing. He said that their live show was completely different than the album, featuring a lot more improvisation in every song. In his press kit he was given, McDonald wrote that he was most influenced by John Handy and Eric Dolphy.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

What a great band that was with Wetton and Hackett. Wetton and McDonald certainly found the fame and $$$ they sought in Asia and Foreigner, but those groups were both beneath their talents.

Though I will say that Foreigner for awhile did what they did extremely well. Not my cup of tea, but the kids sure liked in the late 70’s. Still better than most Top 40 stuff of that era IMO.

BTW, Adrian Belew wrote that he and Ian were talking about recording and touring together in 2019, but it never came to fruition.

User Info Menu

Have a listen to Epitaph (the album)
    It's a collection of some live recordings from '69 (BBC, Fillmore East, Fillmore West) with the original band
    As said above : more impros, more soul in Lake's singing
    It's on Spotify, can't find it on YT but maybe I'm lazy this evening

User Info Menu

RIP, Ian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Have a listen to Epitaph (the album)
    It's a collection of some live recordings from '69 (BBC, Fillmore East, Fillmore West) with the original band
    As said above : more impros, more soul in Lake's singing
    It's on Spotify, can't find it on YT but maybe I'm lazy this evening
    Found this one on You Tube. Ian and the the boys were burning: