The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

This forum is pretty much about jazz in a traditional sense. That is a round, warm and clean jazz sound.

But what is you favorite dirty sound? Ik used to own a R55 and the OD channel of that sounded like steel. I really loved it. Pretty much like Prince in the solo of 'I hate you'. Starts at 3:55. But my chops were worse.

What is you favorite heavy and dirty sound?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

both. but the tele is n.1.

User Info Menu

At about 3:40 of this, I like the round tone high gain.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Initially I thought no way I can point to anything singular after all that years of listening of heavy music. But a minute later I remembered:

Some proper untamed highly propulsive dirt there

User Info Menu

Hi,

ZZ Top - Rythmeen album

User Info Menu

Without straying from jazz, Rosenwinkel, Nir Felder, Sandra Hempel, Julian Lage, to name a few, get some great "unclean" sounds.

User Info Menu

Dusty's voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Without straying from jazz, Rosenwinkel, Nir Felder, Sandra Hempel, Julian Lage, to name a few, get some great "unclean" sounds.
    True. I love Kurt's sound on this.

User Info Menu

My '86 PRS CU24 through my '72 50 watt Marshall Plexi on my solo album UTONIA. linked in my sig below; literally every other track*, more or less:**

Standout tracks:

04 BORN TO SING THE BLUES

10 PARTY PARTY PARTY

08 ME AND LITTLE EGYPT

14 THINGS IN THE SKY

Critique is always welcome. Have at it!

* The gainy leads are the '86 PRS, the gainy rhythm parts are the '89 Cu24 Paul picked out for me. Note: Guitar parts are doubled and hard-panned left and right. There is at any moment, a single guitar part, merely double for stereo interest.

**The exceptions are the acoustic pieces, and The Blues Place, which features my '64 Gibson ES-345 TDSV through the Marshal and my '64 Vibroverb, both set to clean tones, again in stereo.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 02-01-2022 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

A bad sound is the best dirty sound.

User Info Menu

This comes pretty close

User Info Menu

Oh also this of course.

And not so much this

User Info Menu

But then we can’t talk about Eric and not talk about Freddie can we?

User Info Menu

But I suppose those are light drive tones really.

I’m not sure I like modern, heavy gain. It squishes everything. Also, if you can’t chop with low-medium gain you don’t got chops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    At about 3:40 of this, I like the round tone high gain.

I like Eric’s tone a lot. I don’t think he absolutely guns it on the gain in the way Vai does.

Live I have to say I found Vai’s tone to be indistinct and mushy compared to players like Clapton, Trux and so on. TBF I did hear him in quite a bad room, but the latter sound great even in questionable acoustics. Holdsworth too actually; I could hear every note.

I haven’t seen Johnson live. I do wonder how well his sound would come over in a live mix; a lot of treble roll off there (but then you could say the same of Clapton c1968)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Eric Johnson sounds delicious. I really like it, but when dirty I like it a bit more brutal myself.

User Info Menu

Little Wing's guitar solo played by Hiram Bullock from Sting album "Nothing Like The Sun"

User Info Menu

Another Dusty Springfield fan here, but anyway...

Great tone on Star of Jupiter, Big Daddy-o.

As for Clapton, it was this playing and tone that quite rightly earned him a reputation early on. He rarely got near it afterwards, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    They say an aspiring one should transcribe masters to get into their mindset.
    Below is my humble attempt from ~0:15 till the melody, for the sake of brevity reduced to one char per measure ('R' -- meaning 'Right' and 'S' -- well, Scofield).
    I wondered if there is a system in the harmonic rhythm when you play outlandish staff and still sound great. No, I don't think I discern one

RRRRRRRR
    RRRRSRSS
    RRSSRRRR
    RRSSSSSR
    SSSRSSSR
    SSSSSSRR
    SSSSRRRR
    SSSSRRSS
    RRSSRRSS
    SSSRSSRR
    RRSSSSRR

User Info Menu

Albert Collins (ice pick with feedback):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danil
    They say an aspiring one should transcribe masters to get into their mindset.
    Below is my humble attempt from ~0:15 till the melody, for the sake of brevity reduced to one char per measure ('R' -- meaning 'Right' and 'S' -- well, Scofield).
    I wondered if there is a system in the harmonic rhythm when you play outlandish staff and still sound great. No, I don't think I discern one

RRRRRRRR
    RRRRSRSS
    RRSSRRRR
    RRSSSSSR
    SSSRSSSR
    SSSSSSRR
    SSSSRRRR
    SSSSRRSS
    RRSSRRSS
    SSSRSSRR
    RRSSSSRR

Theres a sort of an arc here in that there is more and more S in the R as it goes on, but it never goes completely S for a full 8 bar section, but the S peaks 6 - 8 lines down out of 11.

maybe you could plot S against R and find some correspondence with the Golden section lol

Never go full Scofield. Not even if you are in fact Scofield.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Albert Collins (ice pick with feedback):

That opening note attack scared me.

User Info Menu

Marinero